Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2022, 00:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: What do the stars mean under the username?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So the green squares… we should be able to work that out. I believe I have received 544 thanks and I have 6 Green squares… which would indicate I get a seventh when I pass 600?

According to my User CP my seven squares represents 755 thanks so I'd hate to guess what the cutoffs are.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:48   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The more you post, the more the stars, under your name [title], turn yellow.
1 Yellow Star = 10 posts
2 Yellow Stars = 50 posts
3 Yellow Stars = 100 posts
4 Yellow Stars = 250 posts
5 Yellow Stars = 1000 posts
20,000 posts = still 5 stars
40,000 posts = still 5 stars

I don’t know what scale is used on the ‘Green Box’ thanks icons, but 2425 total thanks, will get you 11 green boxes [5 dark grn, + 6 light grn].
It's notable that Boatman61 has exactly the same number of green boxes, acquired in just over half the number of posts. He may be one of our most frequently [by ratio] thanked members [IDK].

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:58   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

There’s the info

I actually looked at my profile and there’s a tab “infractions” that nobody else has so I guess you only see that for yourself or all y’all haven been good boys and girls lol. Anyway it shows one infraction that has expired and so there 0 points total. I guess that is the negative thanks as shown by DMF above

My infraction was funny enough that it wasn’t deleted: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tml#post898011

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:43   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
...I am pretty sure that there are features explained in the FAQ section screen-grabbed below that no longer work... Who knew you could send "negative thanks"???

And who knew that I could "give good reputation"?!?!?! The power..
I don't think CF is set up to allow negative notes. It's a setting that the Admin determines on vBulletin. In keeping with CF's "be nice" approach to life, we can only privately thank fellow posters, not dump on them. That's what public posts are for .

Don't worry Jedi, you're not the only one with a black mark (yellow in my case) .
Old 11-01-2022, 06:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Don't worry Jedi, you're not the only one with a black mark (yellow in my case) .
Ah yes now I see it, mine is a yellow square as well… it was a warning. So the green squares don’t expire but the yellow ones do hahaha

Old 11-01-2022, 06:28   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What do the stars mean under the username?

Quote:
Ah yes now I see it, mine is a yellow square as well… it was a warning. So the green squares don’t expire but the yellow ones do hahaha
3 Red.. The tinto was talking..
2 Yellow.. Rum makes me mellow..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:35   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

there should be a second row of stars under the first row....
red stars, indicating the number of times you've ruffled the mods and have been assigned a spot in the trash bin...
hmmmm....might require two rows....or even three..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:07   #23

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
As someone who writes individual thank you notes to people a lot, on CF, sent as PMs, I bet those get lost in such a tally. Hmmmm. I'm going to want to think about this.
Right. The "Thanks" button sends a PM and/or E-Mail anyway. Might as well use it.

But we're not all as diligent about sending thank-you notes as you.

A simple one-click "Like" or "Thumbs up" button would serve a similar purpose. But it would be far more likely to be used.

While I like the idea of sending a personal note when someone really goes above and beyond, it's not always appropriate. Sometimes all you want to do is nod in agreement with a post, or support the poster's position.

In forums where it's used, the "Like" function tends to encourage good behavior. It motivates people to stop for a moment before posting and consider whether or not others will find the post helpful.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:37   #24

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

The manatee crew are rolling around on the deck...some have made gold stars and have them stuck on their heads with five minute epoxy. Naturally there is a Chotu supporter using white paste glue and a sticker saying epoxy kills.
Two of the crew wear tee shirts saying the Green Frog Green Color is patent pending.
The Bad Orca crowd brought out their Halloween orca costumes.
Well obviously we have salted our efforts to help fellow sailors with useless and often misguided humor which doesn’t work in all cases.
Take for example the video of a manatee running face first into the side of an aquarium for which a member received an official dunce cap.
The video was circulated within the marine mammal science community for a long time before it was posted here as most manatee lovers felt it was adorable, and funny too. We shall continue to try to assist fellow members and wish the moderators will remove the number of our posts, stars or color boxes and the system of quotes. We feel quoting can hurt people’s feelings sometimes. We have listened to why they feel quotes are ok but hope they will consider why we never quote anyone.
I’ve now rounded up the crew, removed the silly stickers and told them they will go to bed with no hot toddy tonight. Film Noir night is cancelled too.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 09:40   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
... We shall continue to try to assist fellow members and wish the moderators will remove the number of our posts, stars or color boxes and the system of quotes. We feel quoting can hurt people’s feelings sometimes. We have listened to why they feel quotes are ok but hope they will consider why we never quote anyone.
Yes, you've received "many accolades," and one lovely green box for all your assistance. You're 1/2 way to Chotu's record, who has been "thanked many times."
Old 11-01-2022, 09:45   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
3 Red.. The tinto was talking..
2 Yellow.. Rum makes me mellow..
My gosh, I must have gotten my yellow one because of me hanging out with you that time!

Old 11-01-2022, 10:21   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What do the stars mean under the username?

Quote:
My gosh, I must have gotten my yellow one because of me hanging out with you that time!
Could be..
I was pretty wild during my time at Shelter Bay.. vaguely remember threatening to bite someone's ankles if they tried loading me into a wheelbarrow..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 11:19   #28

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Could be..
I was pretty wild during my time at Shelter Bay.. vaguely remember threatening to bite someone's ankles if they tried loading me into a wheelbarrow..
I am getting a sense that there is more to learn about the shades of green on your little green boxes
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 13:42   #29

Boat: None at this time

NewB here.

No stars and 1 green box.
Newb2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 13:42   #30

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
The manatee crew are rolling around on the deck...some have made gold stars and have them stuck on their heads with five minute epoxy. Naturally there is a Chotu supporter using white paste glue and a sticker saying epoxy kills.

Two of the crew wear tee shirts saying the Green Frog Green Color is patent pending.

The Bad Orca crowd brought out their Halloween orca costumes.

Well obviously we have salted our efforts to help fellow sailors with useless and often misguided humor which doesn’t work in all cases.

Take for example the video of a manatee running face first into the side of an aquarium for which a member received an official dunce cap.

The video was circulated within the marine mammal science community for a long time before it was posted here as most manatee lovers felt it was adorable, and funny too. We shall continue to try to assist fellow members and wish the moderators will remove the number of our posts, stars or color boxes and the system of quotes. We feel quoting can hurt people’s feelings sometimes. We have listened to why they feel quotes are ok but hope they will consider why we never quote anyone.

I’ve now rounded up the crew, removed the silly stickers and told them they will go to bed with no hot toddy tonight. Film Noir night is cancelled too.

Mark

Oh those poor manatees :-(