Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 05:28   #1

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26
Retrieve boat from US marina & return it to Canada

I have a boat (Canadian registered) that's on the hard at a marina on the New York side of Lake Champlain but I live in Canada, close to Montreal. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get to their boat and return it to Canada or has similar ideas...? Obviously this does not appear to be possible for now but thought I'd ask anyway.
In light of the spread of covid-19 in many USA states, some news reports are beginning to suggest that the pandemic border restrictions will last into next year.
Thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:41   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Retrieve boat fm US marina & return it to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
I have a boat (Canadian registered) that's on the hard at a marina on the New York side of Lake Champlain but I live in Canada, close to Montreal. I was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get to their boat and return it to Canada or has similar ideas...? Obviously this does not appear to be possible for now but thought I'd ask anyway.
In light of the spread of covid-19 in many USA states, some news reports are beginning to suggest that the pandemic border restrictions will last into next year.
Thanks.
Transportation of goods is still allowed, right?

I’d argue a sailboat is “goods”

Try asking Canadian CBP about transporting goods to Canada from the USA and once you get that sorted, break it to them that the goods are moved like a car or bus. That the goods are a vehicle than can be transported on its own power. Only once all that is sorted, break it to them that it’s a boat. Get permission ahead of time.

Either that or put together a team dressed in black on a go fast black dinghy with night vision. Ha ha.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:48   #3

Covert night ops....LOL
Forgot to mention I have a trailer there too.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:53   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

NY state is asking you to quarantine if you come in, guess you can quarantine on the vessel and take her back to Canada. Canada is allowing their citizens to re-enter, and may also make you quarantine once you return. Biggest problem may be getting her back in the water as many boat owners are skipping this season so you may be blocked in by other vessels. Call your marina and let them advise you on getting launched and underway. Lockdown in NYC is stiffer than in upstate rural areas.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:22   #5

Good points to ponder however I can't realistically afford the 2 weeks self isolation on either end....have to work.
If only we could test for infection on the way through the border in both directions....then if you test negative, theoretically you would be good to go....
Old 01-07-2020, 06:32   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I don’t think I understand.
Th issue really is traveling to the US and returning home isn’t it? What does the boat have to do with it? Wouldn’t it be the same as any other form of travel? Excepting the possibility of not being able to get it launched.
Does Canada have different rules for boats?
Old 01-07-2020, 06:41   #7

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Have a company truck it across. Then it's just movement of goods and doesn't involve you having to quarantine.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:42   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Isn't the Can/US border closed to all non-essential travel? Unless you can get an exemption, I doubt that travel to pick up a sailboat would be considered "essential" by either the American or Canadian border folks.

Perhaps if you held dual citizenship. All countries are allowing their citizens entry. Maybe you could find someone with dual citizenship who would be able to move the boat. But you're still faced with the mandatory two-week self quarantine period, on both ends.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Isn't the Can/US border closed to all non-essential travel? Unless you can get an exemption, I doubt that travel to pick up a sailboat would be considered "essential" by either the American or Canadian border folks.

Perhaps if you held dual citizenship. All countries are allowing their citizens entry. Maybe you could find someone with dual citizenship who would be able to move the boat. But you're still faced with the mandatory two-week self quarantine period, on both ends.
This is the problem. Can you actually get across the border if you can somehow prove that you will self isolate or is the border crossing a hard no? Incidentally, my job designates me as an "essential service worker" but only while engaged in the action of my work I am assuming...
Old 01-07-2020, 08:59   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

A commercial skipper can bring the boat across - it's done all the time. No quarantine for commercial cross border travel.

Going yourself is not considered essential and you wouldn't be allowed to cross.

Hope the border stays closed until January 2021 or later with the situation in the US.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:04   #11

hire a delivery captain to oversee the launch and make-ready, take over near the airport for his return to base. commercial activity is still permtted to cross borders.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:21   #12

Boat: Mirage 24

I agree with dwedeking2's suggestion. Hire a boat transport company truck it across the border. Commercial trucking is still moving across the line so I would expect you can do this.

I had my boat moved this way from Lake Huron to Lake Ontario 7 or 8 years ago because I didnt have the time to make the trip by water. It is super simple and cost reasonable. These companies have hydraulic wishbone trailers that allow the driver/operator to back up "around" the cradle, pick the boat up, cradle and all, and off they go. Loading and unloading takes half an hour or less. As long as you can have somebody on the NY side clear everything off the deck and cockpit, and have the mast ready for the driver to secure it to the trailer, you should not have any problems.

I lived in Montreal for many years and Plattsburgh, NY for 4 years, so I am familiar with the trip you are talking about. It's not a great distance so cost should be reasonable and you will have your boat at home!

Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Thanks.
I've visited that area, and I know that many Québec residents keep their boats just across the border (Rouse's Point) on the US side of L Champlain , and sail on the US side. Is that your situation?

You can't get it yourself at this point in time, so you will have to hire a pro. I guess your choices then are to either (A) have the boat launched on the US side, then motored back across the border to the first landing or port in Canada, or (B) have the boat trucked into Canada.

Seems to me that option A would be the cheapest, especially considering that the delivery skipper would only be moving it a few miles north into Canada, then you can take it the rest of the way to the St Laurence.
Old 01-07-2020, 09:44   #14

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

First Nations people can cross the border totally freely.

Find one with a truck and ask him to get your boat for you.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Transportation of goods is still allowed, right?

I’d argue a sailboat is “goods”

Try asking Canadian CBP about transporting goods to Canada from the USA and once you get that sorted, break it to them that the goods are moved like a car or bus. That the goods are a vehicle than can be transported on its own power. Only once all that is sorted, break it to them that it’s a boat. Get permission ahead of time.

Either that or put together a team dressed in black on a go fast black dinghy with night vision. Ha ha.
Chotu... you are quick and think like I do... I would team up with you... shuuuut...

Tags
boat, Canada