Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2020, 14:52   #31

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Retrieve boat from US marina & return it to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
Whew! Even the smallest investment of time in learning why this particular pandemic is so deadly, so contagious and unlike other viral infections we have previously faced would, or rather should, divest you of such a blindingly misinformed statement.

One thing we do agree on: things will definitely change for the better or much worse depending on who is elected in November.

Apologies for hijacking the thread. Too important not to respond.
Science and math would disagree, especially on the morality rate, but ok
Old 03-07-2020, 18:17   #32

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

The border is supposed to open July 21. Wait until then and go get it?
Old 03-07-2020, 18:21   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
The border is supposed to open July 21. Wait until then and go get it?
The border closure was extended yet again to July 21 and is subject to continuing review. With Covid running amuck in the USA, I don't see any motivation for Canada to let us Yanks head northbound so I would expect the US border with Canada and Mexico to remain close until Covid pandemic eases. Only non-essential travel is restricted so there is little economic motivation to loosen the restrictions.
Old 03-07-2020, 20:12   #34

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26

Highly unlikely the border restrictions will be terminated on or about July 21. Most expect this will be extended until end of summer or even later if the negative numbers persist. It has been a complete fiasco to date.
Old 18-08-2020, 09:26   #35

My wife and I moved to Canada last year for work (legally) but were keeping our U.S. registered boat in the states. We hired someone to bring it over the boarder last month to avoid having to quarantine ourselves.

Should we fly our Canadian cruising flag? We've chosen not to so far in hopes of staying somewhat under the radar. It doesn't quite sit right with me though, since we're doing everything legally, and we want to show our respect.
Old 18-08-2020, 09:43   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Too many are a little too tense these days. A disease that is highly contagious, even from asymptomatic people, is putting everyone on heightened guard. Mix in the fact of rising cases in BC, and the crazy politics of south of the border, and it's understandable that people are on edge.

I plan to drive into BC soon on my motorcycle showing Ontario plates. Even though this is perfectly legal and allowed under current Covid rules, I am wary of being too -- noticed.

Wasps are generally benign, but that doesn't mean one should poke their nest.
Old 18-08-2020, 09:43   #37

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

You should always fly the correct ensign in the senior position and the flag for the country you are visiting in the next senior position. Your ensign declares the regulations you are sailing under so as a US boat you are under US regs' (plus local laws of course). Not sure you would necessarily be in trouble if you strike your ensign and only fly a Canadian flag from the yard but if customs or boarder patrol though you where attempting a deception by flying a Canadian ensign from the stern you could be.
Old 18-08-2020, 15:37   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCheneaux View Post
My wife and I moved to Canada last year for work (legally) but were keeping our U.S. registered boat in the states. We hired someone to bring it over the boarder last month to avoid having to quarantine ourselves.

Should we fly our Canadian cruising flag? We've chosen not to so far in hopes of staying somewhat under the radar. It doesn't quite sit right with me though, since we're doing everything legally, and we want to show our respect.
A vessel should fly the flag of its country of registry, and not the country of permanent residence and/or citizenship of its owner's if that differs from the vessel's flag state, but a vessel can also fly a secondary courtesy flag of the nation's upon which water's it is presently residing as a matter of respect to that host nation.
Old 19-08-2020, 03:54   #39

**And note that courtesy flags are displayed in a completely different place and are of a smaller size than the vessel's ensign.**

Research international flag etiquette for more specificity.

LittleWing77
Old 19-08-2020, 06:23   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
......and are of a smaller size than the vessel's ensign.**
Not always smaller.
Old 19-08-2020, 16:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I plan to drive into BC soon on my motorcycle showing Ontario plates. Even though this is perfectly legal and allowed under current Covid rules, I am wary of being too -- noticed.
I'm sure you've read about people slashing tires and loosening lug nuts on cars with out-of-province plates... there are a lot more people on the roads than the water, so it might be an even bigger concern for you than me. I had a friend with US plates put a note in his window saying he was here legally. I haven't read about any instances lately, but people are still on edge. I think your analogy to the wasp's nest is spot on.

We didn't fly our US flag (or cruising flag) in the Med during the US's bombing of Kosovo in the late '90s either. However, since the anti-American sentiment isn't nearly as strong in Canada today, I'm more torn. Maybe we'll make sure to wear shirts or hats emblazoned with our Canadian employers' logos
Old 19-08-2020, 17:10   #42

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I'm sure you've read about people slashing tires and loosening lug nuts on cars with out-of-province plates... there are a lot more people on the roads than the water, so it might be an even bigger concern for you than me. I had a friend with US plates put a note in his window saying he was here legally. I haven't read about any instances lately, but people are still on edge. I think your analogy to the wasp's nest is spot on.
Quite likely. I still think most people are good, decent folk (on both sides of our border). But I also understand why the tensions are running a bit high up here. Especially since we continue to see violations of our laws.

Ex: American charged under Quarantine Act amid accusations he ignored pandemic safety rules in Banff

Quote:
We didn't fly our US flag (or cruising flag) in the Med during the US's bombing of Kosovo in the late '90s either. However, since the anti-American sentiment isn't nearly as strong in Canada today, I'm more torn. Maybe we'll make sure to wear shirts or hats emblazoned with our Canadian employers' logos
Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. As I say, most people remain reasonable. If you show you are (as you clearly are), then I think your odds of running into trouble is slight.
Old 19-08-2020, 17:38   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I still think most people are good, decent folk (on both sides of our border).
Totally agree. And the fact that only a handful of $1200 tickets have been given, along with a single arrest (for a repeat offender), says RCMP is being quite reasonable.
Old 07-09-2020, 18:28   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I just had a similar request; I'm a dual national and they wanted a captain who could bring a boat north. I'm too busy with local work but did research it and it was possible as a commercial endeavor...

Tags
boat, Canada