Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2004, 11:28   #1

Boat: Privilege 37
DVD onboard

How many people include a television as part of their cruising equipment, and then add a DVD player?
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 12:11   #2

I have one of those tv dvd combos, Yet I very rarely use it, but the combo saves on room and less wires laying around.
cheers
dustin
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2004, 15:28   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
We have a seperate 14"TV and DVD/stereo system. One day when we become rich and famouse, I would love to get a flat panel screen and mount it to a wall to save space. The comb units are great to save space, but from a service persons perspective, they can become expensive to repair. What I mean by this, is that if you have a fault in one, you are forced to fix it because the other part of the unit maybe fine and you are throwing out a fine working unit. Where as seperate items can be discarded if a major fault develops. And lets face it, you can buy new far cheaper than you can repair in many instances these days. Especially with the salt and electronics mix on boats.
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 07:57   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Alan, you are so right. We used the same reasoning for getting a separate video/DVD player. We sometimes like to rent, rather than buy, our videos, and we weren't sure how available DVDs would be in the Bahamas and points south. So we opted for that combination, but kept the TV separate. The captain likes being able to watch the news in the late afternoon, although I can read the newspaper online anytime.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2004, 10:23   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
I had a demand from SWMBO for a TV so was able to justify a 17" widescreen LCD that is multistandard. I plan to use this as my screen for the laptop for passage planning, and weather charts, and have just dicovered a small 12v DVD player (multiregion) that also plays mp3 and has an inbuilt 5.1 dolby!, so the record collection will be compressed onto half a dozen DVDs! sheer laziness, but both telly and DVD have remotes!
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:02   #6

We use a 27" flat screen, Sony suround sound,DVD,VHS, and FM sterio. The suround sound was the last item added and is so good I now need to re watch all my movies.
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:28   #7

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I have other purchases to make before I get to the mounted flat-screen. My yard has no cable TV..so if I wanted it, I'd need a dish.

Until then, I use my 17" laptop with built in DVD player to watch movies. A auxillary jack connects the laptop to the stereo system and gives me great sound through the stereo speakers. On a nice night, the laptop goes outside and we watch movies in the cockpit using the external speakers.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:36   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
HDTV and DVD payer/recorder and satellite receiver all tied into the stereo system sound for great listening. It all get used a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02303a.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	6521

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 14:45   #9

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
We added a combo flat screen and DVD last year after cruising for years without TV. Mostly our grandkids enjoy it when they are on board and we watch the occasional movie. I bought the whole thing at Sam's with the extended warranty. They have already fixed it once for free. Don't have so much invested that when it fails, we can't just walk away.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06   #10

Boat: 45ft FP Casamance
We have been cruising about a year now, we have 2 sons, the oldest is 4, we have a portable dvd player (and another one spare). Its a vital component on board. The 4 year old has a big collection of dvd's which he watches daily for about an hour or so, its been great especially during a passage when it is rough and both parents need to be on deck. We (parents) use it occasionally to watch a movie, although much less than we thought. I would not risk using our laptop for watching movies as it is an important comms device for sailmail etc and it can act as a backup plotter. One glass of juice and its all over. Whereas a portable DVD player is about $120, we have already thrown away one which got drenched, (we dried it, it worked, got drenched a 2nd time, game over).
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:58   #11

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
We have a 20" lcd/dvd combo unit, wall mounted, plug into the stereo for surround. Unit was fairly cheap, less that $250. Keep digging throughthe $2 & $5 buckets at Walmart to build the library. I don't require tv, but keeps the boss happy.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:32   #12

Boat: Citation 34' Center Cockpit (Australian design and build)
We have a 15" lcd tv that is connected to a car stereo system which plays cd's and dvd's. The line in RCA of the car stereo has a 12v set tob box (Digital Receiver) connected to it giving us great sound and quality whether watching television or a dvd.
Old 05-01-2009, 16:09   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
We opted to purchase seperately. First, the DVD player is probably not up to HD or upconverting your DVDs. Second, the DVD player adds about 5 lbs to the unit - and as we have the TV on a swing arm, an additional 5 lbs at the end of the arm is cause for concern at sea. Lastly, "all in ones" tend to fail quicker, and then become worthless, quicker than components. ESPECIALLY in a marine environment.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 17:38   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
I use a 15 inch MacBook Pro. We have cable at the marina, but also wifi so we can watch Tv or download movies or visit the network web sites to review shows. You do need a TV program for the cable. I use EyeTV on the Mac.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 20:25   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
We use the DVD player in the laptop and sit in bed sharing an ear plug each

The rest of the time we look out the window or sit in the cockpit and watch "Real Life" an ongoing saga of real people, real culture and real geography..... and without any ads!!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dvd