Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2009, 06:58   #1

Gifts for a Sailor?

Hi,

I do not sail (woe to me), but my boss is about to go on a one year sabatical to sail on his boat with his wife. They have been very good to me and I want to get them something that would be appreciated. As a land-lubber I was hoping someone here could help me with some insight. I don't mind spending a bit, but can't afford anything too extravagent as they are kind, but don't pay me THAT much. hahaha. Thank you!
PapaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:26   #2

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Dont really know your price range, but there is always a bottle of rum that would fit.
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18   #3

Boat: 32' CC Oday
How about a good rigging knife

I carry a cheap rigging knife equipped with a blade, marlinespike, shackle key (wrench), screw driver (for opening deck fill caps) and a lanyard bail. This style knife provides the practical tools that are used daily and is not so big and bulky that it overloads the pockets of my shorts.

Similar to this: Rigging Knife - Folding Blade, Multi Tool - Stainless Steel* - *Knives & Accessories* - *Crew Gear & Accessories* - *Downwind Marine Inc

I carry the cheap knives because they often go overboard.

But for the boss, I would probably spring for a little more.

Marlin steel knife - Shop sales, stores & prices at TheFind.com

Bernard Moitessier
BassAckwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
If you don't understand boats really well and don't know the persons boating needs then its really hard to buy boat stuff for someone else. Its actually easier for a man to buy shoes for his wife.

Just don't buy anything cutesy that hangs on a bulkhead (a wall). I can guarantee you it wont get hung up anywhere. If he does not already have it on his bulkhead then it it wont be put up there because in the world of cutesy nautical things to hang up, there is nothing new. Most likely it will end up in Davey Jones locker, deep sixed or in land-lubbers parlance, thrown over the side.

One idea that is universal though are boat bucks! One boat buck = $1000. If that is a bit extravagant, you could try a West Marine gift certificate. (I can just see the rotten tomatoes being thrown at me about now by you guys that are not fond of them).

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:31   #5

Thanks for your suggestions. I was actually thinking in line with something that some literary character held dear on his epic nautical voyage since they'll be sailing around for a whole year. In light of David M's info, however, I can see something like that easily being warmly received and coolly discarded.

How about one of those green astronomy grade laser pointers? Would a sailor find use for that?
PapaSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:46   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Something a lot of us cheap out on for our own boats is a high quality time piece or baramoter ..and yes bulkhead mounted...I would love to get either one..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barometer.gif
Views:	387
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	6587  

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:46   #7

Send a message via AIM to Chesapeake
OK, for all you "West Marine" haters, where do you shop, and why ???
-- Thanks, and have a g'day mate
Old 05-01-2009, 10:59   #8

Send a message via AIM to Chesapeake
Possible gift for the boss :
The sailors knife mentioned above seems like a good idea.
How about a book (not currently in their library) on stories of cruising and/or travel guides about the ports that they plan to visit on their cruise.
Take a look in the Library thread at :
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f127/
or search on amazon.com
Hope this helps some.
-- Have a g'day ;-)
Old 05-01-2009, 11:28   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
My friends left on a voyage from Hawaii to Alaska. As they were pulling out of the harbor I tossed them a plastic bag with a stainless tape measure, a roll of duct tape and two cans of mosquito repellant. I should have included WD40 but I'm certain they already had it aboard.
If your boss does his own maintenance then any stainless tools would be appreciated.
Good luck.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:54   #10

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSierra View Post
Hi,

I do not sail (woe to me), but my boss is about to go on a one year sabatical to sail on his boat with his wife. They have been very good to me and I want to get them something that would be appreciated. As a land-lubber I was hoping someone here could help me with some insight. I don't mind spending a bit, but can't afford anything too extravagent as they are kind, but don't pay me THAT much. hahaha. Thank you!
If you know where they are going, perhaps a cruising guide. I would definitely find out if they have one and which one first. Some well formed questions will give you the answer without tipping off your intent.

A second option is a blank book so they can record their memories. Add a space pen that will write on anything if you wish.

If you have a bit more and know they don't know celestial nav (but are interested). Perhaps a plastic sextant and a book. If they already have one scrap this idea as things can get rather expensive quickly.

Weems and Plath makes a few items that they might be able to use. The lightrules and such come to mind.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:23   #11

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
West Marine Gift Cards were the best gifts we got before our voyage.

Lucky for us, we got married a few months before and registered at West Marine only :lol Smart move, we got all the last minute things we needed to cruise safe and comfortable.

(Schooner-dog's wife, stealing his account again)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:38   #12

Boat: Tayana 48
You can never have too many knives and flashlights aboard. Cheap knives are ok...don't get a cheap flashlight. LED flashlights are cool, and probably appreciated.
Other pieces of kit we've found useful, but didn't know about them 'til we were out here...plastic egg crates...hold 12-15 eggs, hard plastic shell with lid.
Ice tray with lid. Plastic (but nice) glasses...maybe a couple of wine glasses if they're drinkers (if they're not, they soon will be).
Nice binoculars...only get 7x50 power.
Maybe matching shirts or hats with their boat name on them?
Don't waste your money, or their space, on things that take up too much room...boats are small places, and they don't need a welcome-aboard mat or a fluffy robe.
HIH
John
Old 05-01-2009, 13:12   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSierra View Post
They have been very good to me and I want to get them something that would be appreciated. !

We went through this recently!

There is only ONE gift you can give that will be appreciated....

Something that is wanted. And only the capt'n knows that.

All we could want at Christmas, or before we left, was a gift card at a Chandlery. Just $XX to Westmarine etc.

If you really want to give an actual object as the gift, go to a Chandlery and get their catalogue and go to the boss and ask him to circle a few things he would like (in different budget ranges!). Then you can get him that and maybe engraved etc.

Find out which is the Chandlery he shops at. There will only be one 'favorite'.

If it must be a secret, go the LED flashlights. We have 9 little ones (9 LEDs each) scattered around the boat so we can always find one. Get a few metal ones engraved. They are quite cheap from Auto stores.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 13:24   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
I like the barometer idea. If that is out of your range I would think that the knife woudl be a good choice.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 13:34   #15

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Gifts:

I can never have enough Rum onboard...
A bottle of champagne?
Wine?
CD's . DVD's ?

A nice log book

Chesapeake.....

My marina has perhaps the best parts supply store on the east coast.
Lockwood Boatworks. I can purchase a single screw or bolt..and for the engine they have everything you could possibly need or they'll have it in a day

For the larger items, I usually find the best prices at Defender or Boater's world.
West Marine never seemed to stock what I needed, the staff was often unknowledgable.
Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote