Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2018, 08:40   #16

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: catalina cruiser...good and bad?

During the recent economic collapse Catalina, Bene and Hunter all quit making boats "on Spec" just producing boats and sending them out to be sold, and started only making a boat when ordered. The 3 digit models are built using a "hull and liner" method as opposed to the "stick built" method of the 2 digit models. The 3 digit boats started with the 270, then 320 etc. The 355 is the replacement for the venerable 36, the first try was the 350. The 350 was only produced for a short time, hull volume was maximized similar to some other builders. Gerry Douglas once said something about "putting the 350 on a diet" to design the 355.
I've only sailed a couple wings and they were under 30', my impression was they were more tender when static, at the dock or anchored but once moving under sail they seemed to stiffen right up. Doubt it is even noticeable on a larger boat.
I've only sailed OPB's with in mast, seems to be predominant amongst new boats.
I've heard stuff like sectioned masts used for in mast furlers just happen to fit 40' shipping containers which is a bonus when sending boats from the factory to California or Oz.
I saw a 355 at a boat show, it was one the broker "borrowed" from the new owner who unhappily sat on his boat watching.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 09:29   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Congratulations!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:22   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

The C 355 is an updated version of my venerable Catalina 36, one of the largest single run of production boats. As ohdrinkboy noted, it's a solid Chevy/Ford coastal cruiser that's better-made than most. Don't do any crazy-Australian stuff like surfing on 4-meter waves into port etc.. She's designed for comfortable, affordable coastal cruising - drinks six, dines four, sleeps two. Easy to single-hand. Large community in the US if you look up the owners associations: Catalina Associations – Catalina Yachts

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:28   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

First Congrats!
Not trying to be too biased, because I am a long time Catalina dealer, I have also owned about 12 catalina models. My last being a 2006 Catalina 350 that we had all over Florida and the Abacos over the last two years. Now sold. I have sold many 355's and did very long and rough offshore race 150 miles and the boat held up and sailed beautifully. The new 5 Series is WAY different than than anything built before it. Catalina is truly building a boat today that would surpass what a lot of the builders were doing a few years ago. Builders like, Tartan, Sabre and Ericson that are just not building much in Sail anymore.
They are Value built, but far from cheap built. I've been offshore in my older 350 in some seas that I felt more comfortable in than I did on a 50'.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 10:35   #20

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
The C 355 is an updated version of my venerable Catalina 36, one of the largest single run of production boats. As ohdrinkboy noted, it's a solid Chevy/Ford coastal cruiser that's better-made than most. Don't do any crazy-Australian stuff like surfing on 4-meter waves into port etc.. She's designed for comfortable, affordable coastal cruising - drinks six, dines four, sleeps two. Easy to single-hand. Large community in the US if you look up the owners associations: Catalina Associations – Catalina Yachts
Very nicely put.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 11:30   #21

Boat: Union cutter 33

We have a Catalina 34 with fin keel great boat but for serious off shore we had keel removed and extra teansverses installed and beefed up existing ones then we over sized the rigging and chain plates plus reinforced chain plate mounting areas a lot of work but we believe it is worth it we now have a boat capable to cruise anywhere
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 12:16   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
... but for serious off shore we had keel removed and extra transverses installed and beefed up existing ones then we over sized the rigging and chain plates plus reinforced chain plate mounting areas ....
OMG, you took a coastal cruiser and made it a blue water boat by rebuilding it. Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to just buy a purpose built blue-water cruiser? Just saying.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 12:28   #23

Boat: Union cutter 33

May have been cheaper but this way we know what we have a lot of Water boats">blue water boats need some serious TLC to make them seaworthy might as modifie what you have that’s paid for
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 12:42   #24

Boat: catalina 355

thanks guys,i appreciate all your comments,so far,it is all good and i am still waiting to hear from the sailing experience of a 355 owner...i saw a couple of video promo from the designer on utube before i decided to make an offer on the boat and of course,the boat looked and sounded fantastic !it didn't even appear to need any "strengthening or remodelling "before i go surfing down 5 m waves!?...hahaha
nayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 13:26   #25

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk2

Hi, we currently have a Catalina 42 MkII which is a fantastic boat. We have it on Pittwater in Sydney and plan to do the East Coast trip. Prior to the 42 we had a Catalina 34 MkI also a great boat. Prior to buying we did a lot of research and found Catalinas to be in a class of their own. The 34 was capable of "Hopping" up the coast in good weather conditions. The 355 will certainly do it easily. Our 34 had the winged keel - drew just 4 feet. Great for inland waters and bar crossings but not too good going to windward. Very fast down wind though - but you will be cruising not racing.

On the maintenance front Catalina have an exceptional Parts Division. Just google Catalina Direct and click on your boat. Email Kent over in the US, give him your boat type, year, hull number and rig and he will have it all on file. Whenever you need a replacement part he will send it to you (at a cost) but just a great great service. I know others who spend weeks looking for replacement parts for their other branded production boats.

Good luck and good sailing.
Shirvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 13:28   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayu View Post
Hi guys,
just got myself a Catalina 355(in Australia).any of you can offer comments(good or bad) about the boat...i chose this boat on a few criteria like comfort,modern design,easy handling(furlers),boat of the year,and"value for money"... but i admit not to know too much about the Catalina brand and it would be great to hear from people who actually have/had one...been there/done that kind of discussion...the main uses will be live aboard,cruising up the queensland coast(great barrier)and possibly more...(new cal,fiji,indo,thailand...?)
please lets keep this thread focused on PERSONAL experiences...(no debates about "real ocean cruisers against plastic fantastic" ...already been done to death on this forum)
ooohhh.and the boat is shallow draft...!!!
You got a nice boat you like, don't mess it up by asking such crazy questions to an open forum. There's a Catalina owners forum, search for it and get your Catalina and model specific questions answered there so they will be useful.
Old 27-03-2018, 13:40   #27

Boat: Catalina 375

I looked at a 355 before settling on the 375. More room and more bang for the buck. I love my Catalina. I customized somewhat and have 150 genoa and oversize 4 batten main with deep keel. 7 foot. Solar panels 500W, diesel stove for heating, radar. Full cockpit cover. She performed very well in 35-40 knot winds in Gulf of St Lawrence last summer. It is also a very comfy live aboard. No complaints about the quality. Watched her being built in Florida. Someone else said it, better quality than the Ikea boats.
Ardbeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 13:49   #28

thanks for the info Shirvo.42 was my first choice ...until i remembered that i haven't been on a boat for 20 years and that i am now in my "declining years"...so i thought 35 to 40 would be more in keeping with my abilities...
to be honest ,i didn't know anything about Catalina and i was originally looking at beneteau,jeanneau,bavaria,dufour etc...but most of them are now focusing on the charter market...i don't really need a boat with 3 cabins and 3 heads to unblock...and it seems that these brands are not what they use to be...high tech,low quality,and really basic comfort(one inch mattress...!!!?)
so,catalina it is...
i am planning to be in yowie bay on the 10th of april and start to hope along north...hope to meet you somewhere along the coast and talk about your boat and my boat over a couple of drinks...cheers
Old 27-03-2018, 13:57   #29

i know what you mean sailorboy...don't stir the mud...i tried the Catalina forum to get info on the 355.and i end up on a japanese website...!!!all in Japanese of course...
it seems that the 355 is the phantom boat : people know about it's existence and it is suppose to be "a good one"...but no one actually owns one...!!!?
Old 27-03-2018, 14:03   #30

...yes...around 38 would have been perfect...a little more storage space for my dinner jacket and shiny shoes...but none available around this part of the world...and the ones i could get were almost as old as me(in boat years)...

Tags
catalina, cruise, cruiser