Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2018, 21:42   #31

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: catalina cruiser...good and bad?

My Catalina 350 (2007) currently lives in Sydney but will move permanently to Airlie Beach, Whitsundays, Queensland - God's best playground for sailing - later this year. The 350 is as honest a boat as you could hope. As an ex-Etchells/Dragons racer who has raced into the 70's its now my kind of pace. Very comfortable up and down. These boats are well made, solid. I too plan to sail around the Pacific Islands, particularly NC and Vanuatu.

I hope you enjoy your boat as much as me, myself and him.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 05:01   #32

Boat: 2012 Tartan 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
After 4586 surveys I've concluded that the Catalina's are much better built than any of the Euro/Ikea production boats.
You, sir, are a valuable resource. What is your opinion of Hunter vs Euro?
RichandHelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 22:24   #33

Boat: catalina c400

Heres the thing. 1997 c400 catalina stuffing box. My measurements 11/4shaft x 23/8 id hose. Catalina direct only sell 21/2 or 21/4 inch stuffing box. The only stuffing box i could find was by chris craft but all second hand. Im in australia so not easy to find. Catalina was no help. So a y advice would help.
leegordoncooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 04:02   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichandHelen View Post
You, sir, are a valuable resource. What is your opinion of Hunter vs Euro?
The Hunters are are a bit better built but not without issue. They do have an entirely different design philosophy that seems to rankle some sailors.
Old 05-12-2023, 11:48   #35
man

Boat: Catalina 315

Sailing a Catalina 315 for the past 3 year. Its my opinion that the 5-series Catalinas ( 315,355,385,425...) are a much more solid product than the older models (I sailed a C30 for the longest time, C34 and C36). They seem stronger, better engineered and better built. I love the way my 315 sails (except in winds from 160 to 180), she is fast, easily trimmed and well balanced on the shoal keel. The operation with the in mast furling needs some practice, but at the end of the day it is a fine system. She's very comfortable at Anchor and in marinas.
man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:03   #36

Boat: Catalina 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Another bonus is that Catalina is a big boat building company that is alive and well.
It's easy to get nearly anything for any model through either Catalina it's self or Catalina direct. They freight stuff all over the world.

^^^^^
This is huge. I've had 2 Pearsons (26 and 30) and a Freedom (35) and by the time I purchased them factories were out of the sailboat business. My current boat is a Catalina (42) and it is so nice to be able to get replacement parts quickly.

As for overall quality, I'm not crossing any oceans, but apparently plenty of larger Catalinas have. From what I can tell the structure, fit and finish is comparable to my Pearsons. The Freedom was a different animal with a cored hull (very nice, unless you get moisture in it) and a hand built interior. But overall I wouldn't say it was better than the Catalina. I did look at Beneteau/Jeanneau, but preferred the more traditional styling and larger bunks/head on the Catalina.
Reeve21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 12:25   #37

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegordoncooper View Post
Heres the thing. 1997 c400 catalina stuffing box. My measurements 11/4shaft x 23/8 id hose. Catalina direct only sell 21/2 or 21/4 inch stuffing box. The only stuffing box i could find was by chris craft but all second hand. Im in australia so not easy to find. Catalina was no help. So a y advice would help.
Not an unusual problem. I had the exact same situation on my Morgan OI 41. 2-3/8 stuffing box tube 1-1/4 inch shaft. Originally I think they used (Morgan) exhaust hose on mine, can't find 2-3/8 hose anywhere so I stretched the proper 2-1/4 stuffing box hose with an exhaust tube expander ( gently over a few days) then soaked it in host water and very quickly installed it on the stern tub. its been water tight since (5 years ago)
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, cruise, cruiser