Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2018, 14:39   #1

Boat: catalina 355
catalina cruiser...good and bad?

Hi guys,
just got myself a Catalina 355(in Australia).any of you can offer comments(good or bad) about the boat...i chose this boat on a few criteria like comfort,modern design,easy handling(furlers),boat of the year,and"value for money"... but i admit not to know too much about the Catalina brand and it would be great to hear from people who actually have/had one...been there/done that kind of discussion...the main uses will be live aboard,cruising up the queensland coast(great barrier)and possibly more...(new cal,fiji,indo,thailand...?)
please lets keep this thread focused on PERSONAL experiences...(no debates about "real ocean cruisers against plastic fantastic" ...already been done to death on this forum)
ooohhh.and the boat is shallow draft...!!!
nayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:05   #2

Re: catalina cruiser...good and bad?

My perception is they are good production boats for general use. No they are not super sturdy. But at least comparable to most production boats. Google "Catalina Smile". But I dont know the 355 at all.
I managed and skippered some in charter. One, a Catalina 42 hit a rock motoring. It suffered $20-25 k of damage (2004 $). Engine bed, galley cabinetry etc came loose from the hull enough to require re tabbing etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 15:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

After 4586 surveys I've concluded that the Catalina's are much better built than any of the Euro/Ikea production boats.
Old 26-03-2018, 15:15   #4

thanks cheechako.the 355 has a collision bulkhead between the anchor well and the forward cabin, supposedly to keep the boat afloat...but i will still avoid motoring head on into rocks...
Old 26-03-2018, 15:18   #5

thanks boatpoker.you've made my day...!!!
Old 26-03-2018, 16:07   #6

Boat: Seaward 22

You've bought yourself a solid ford/chevy sedan. She will perform for her intended purpose. If you try to race your sedan in the open desert (southern ocean) or 24 hrs of le mans (circumnavigate) she may or may not make it. Go coastal sailing/island hopping, do your maintenance, watch your weather windows and enjoy.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 16:15   #7

thanks ohdrinkboy.my days of racing in the southern ocean( or the desert) are well and truly over...i was more thinking about cocktails in the cockpit and snorkelling for crayfish...then grilled on the BBQ with a chilli and mango sauce...
Old 26-03-2018, 16:38   #8

Boat: Catalina 320

I've had several Catalina's, good solid boats, the wife and I were out picnicking today on our 320 in 15 kts. gusting to 25. If there was a 355 with a fin keel anywhere on the US west coast I'd be a buyer.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 17:13   #9

good feedback Ted...surely,there must be a few fin keel Catalina 355 where you are...!!!? these boats are made in your backyard no?!!...here,it seems that the majority of boats are shallow drafts...maybe it has something to do about the proximity of the great barrier reef(1500 nm north...!!!)
Old 26-03-2018, 17:31   #10

Boat: Catalina 320

They used to be made literally in the backyard here in California, about 2006 they moved all production to the Morgan plant in Florida. Most of the Florida built boats that have made it out here are wing keels and in mast furlers.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 17:38   #11

ooohhh...do tell Ted.i have reservations about these two aspects of my boat...shallow draft and in mast furler...have you heard bad things about either one of these?...i have had conflicting opinions about them...personally ,i would prefer conventional set up and keel,but the boat came like that...
Old 26-03-2018, 20:57   #12

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I've owned a Catlin in the past and looked through many other makers boats while buying and selling auction/insurance boats years ago. In their niche they're probably the most stoutly built. If you planned on doing extensive cruising I'd look to the rig first, up sizing there would probably be the most bang g or the buck. Haven't sailed a 355 but have heard good things about them. You might want to try the catalonia owners association. It's a large organization and could provide valuable feedback.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 21:58   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi, I own a 470. I know nothing about your model. I purchased my boat over other "production boats" because I believe it to be built more sturdily than comparative models like Beneteau, jeanneau etc (no offence intended).

Eg. The hull is quite a heavy layup below the water line, solid glass impregnated with vinylester, lead keel and keel stub, twin independent wheels ie, if cable breaks the other still works, bottom 3rd of rudder is sacrificial if needed, collision bulk head, bulkheads glassed in, very strong huge glassed in grid system that frames the boat and has engine mounted to it, no liners except for showers, substantially strong rigging all 3/8 or 7/16 with very well designed chain plates. There's alot more.

It's not perfect by any means but seemed like very good value for what appears to me to be a very well built boat comparable to many more expensive boats.

I get the impression this applies to several other of the larger catalina models but I don't know that.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 22:16   #14

Boat: Catalina 470

Another bonus is that Catalina is a big boat building company that is alive and well.
It's easy to get nearly anything for any model through either Catalina it's self or Catalina direct. They freight stuff all over the world.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 03:09   #15

thanks guys,for the helpful replies, but are the Catalina 355 a limited edition!? it seems that many people know about Catalina in general,but no one actually owns a 355...!!!?boat of the year for one year only???! hahaha

Tags
catalina, cruise, cruiser