Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 22:24   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 38
Thoughts on Hallberg Rassy 38

Hello,
I wanted to get perspectives on the Hallberg Rassy 38. I already know many consider Hallberg Rassy boats to be high quality offshore boats, but how does the HR 38 sail? How does she go to weather? Is she any fun to sail?
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 23:20   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
They are gorgeous boats, among the nicest made and finished you can find. Also very seaworthy. But the Enderlein-designed HR's, including the 38, are not known to be very fast or very weatherly. The boats have longish keels and tend to wallow a bit. That's according to what I've heard and read; disclaimer -- I haven't tried one myself.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 13:49   #3

Thanks for the reply!
I suspected the boat wouldn't go to weather or trot along as fast as more modern designs, but it's extremely hard to judge to what degree it won't do these things, and if it is passes the threshold of being fun. I found that boats (such as a Morgan 41 w/ hydraulic steering) which do not respond at the helm without lots of over-correcting, and which are extremely slow upwind because of the tacking angles, are just not much fun to sail, and was wondering if the HR 38 crosses the "fun" threshold, and is more of a chore to sail.
Old 05-04-2010, 14:09   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Well, you had better try one. I suspect you may find more fun to sail boats out there. We recently switched from a semi-long keel boat similar to the HR38, to a modern bulb keel boat, and it is a revelation. Never go back.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 01:00   #5
CFR

Hi from germany, sail some HR and it is really a question what you have in mind. Nasty sea and real wind on a 3 days tour: you will like the HR, it will perform constantly with a nice motion that you can handle for some days. You will feel safe which to me is important at sea. If you like to daysail in summer there are faster and funnier boats arround like a a X-35 . It is really up to the purpose.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 17:15   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I agree with CFR. I think you worry about upwind performance enough to consider other designs although the X-35 is all the way over at the other end and less "sturdy" than the HR.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 23:31   #7
CFR

All boats a compromisses and i do not think you canget all in one package like with cars: you can take a lightweight mazda Miata up top a Corvette or a BMW 7 or a Range Rover, all cars are good for the indented purpose. same with boats. i like dinghy sailing and Hobie Cat, i had a folkboat but now a 14 ton aluminium one. you can not compare and you have to make your choice. all the so named cruiser racer looking fast and nice and they are fast with 4 sailors on board and expensive sails, but check your own style and what you like to do in future. back to the HR pls check carefully the teakdeck because although they are very solid built after 20 or 30 years you will need a new teak which will be a real expensive job to do.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:37   #8

Thanks for the responses!
My intended purpose is to sail from Seattle down the West coast of the U.S., Central America, then end up in the Caribbean, stopping along the way. My wife and I are in our early 30s and the point of the trip is to slow down and enjoy life a little more... so I think the HR will be the right boat for us, especially since it is difficult for us to afford a more modern boat without digging into our savings. Maybe we'll get that more modern boat when we are older.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:45   #9

Re: Thoughts on Hallberg Rassy 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythm View Post
Thanks for the responses!
My intended purpose is to sail from Seattle down the West coast of the U.S., Central America, then end up in the Caribbean, stopping along the way. My wife and I are in our early 30s and the point of the trip is to slow down and enjoy life a little more... so I think the HR will be the right boat for us, especially since it is difficult for us to afford a more modern boat without digging into our savings. Maybe we'll get that more modern boat when we are older.
Hi there!
Did you end up buying the HR 38 eventually? How has it been?
I am basically battling with the same doubts you had...
steedems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:46   #10

Boat: S2 9.1

The original poster was last active on CF in 2013 so doubt you will hear back. However some one else may chime in.

Good Luck
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:36   #11

Boat: Looking to buy 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, you had better try one. I suspect you may find more fun to sail boats out there. We recently switched from a semi-long keel boat similar to the HR38, to a modern bulb keel boat, and it is a revelation. Never go back.
That's very interesting! I sailed on a chartered 42' long keel this past weekend and loved it. Don't want to buy one though. Conditions were great and we got on lean with comfort and easy directional control, yet I could feel the sluggish nature of the boat although comfortable. Not miserably slow but not pointing too well or going anywhere super fast even in great conditions.

What are the top few reasons you would describe it as a major advantage to switch to modern bulb? Notwithstanding all the obvious other factors like sail plan and everything else, but just in terms of keel?

We ain't as smart as we looks, but we ain't as dumb as we sounds neither
Indecenseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 11:38   #12

Boat: Looking to buy 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
The original poster was last active on CF in 2013 so doubt you will hear back. However some one else may chime in.

Good Luck
Omigoodness so funny, I totally overlooked that as well haha

We ain't as smart as we looks, but we ain't as dumb as we sounds neither
Indecenseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2023, 23:24   #13

Original Poster here...
I ended up purchasing a Hallberg Rassy 38, outfitting her, and did a 10 month cruise in 2012-2013 from Seattle, WA down the USA West coast to Mexico. Here is my blog to prove it: https://svrhythm.blogspot.com/2012/10/our-boat.html

The boat was great and kept us safe and sailed better than I expected, however if I were to do it over again I would likely get a cruising catamaran or something like a Catalina 42. While we were always thankful to have a longer keel during bad weather and/or high seas, which kept the boat from pounding, I would trade off some bad weather/high sea comfort for a faster, more modern design and just sit a little longer at anchor to wait out storms.

That said, after having gone cruising, I found that I obsessed way too much about what type of boat would be best. See if you can try a day or two in less ideal bluewater conditions on something... anything. If slamming into waves every 5-10 seconds where the whole rig wobbles is frightening and makes you want to get back to land, then maybe you should trade off some speed and point for comfort. If you can get into a top load washing machine, turn it on and go to sleep without any problems, then maybe you should trade off some comfort for speed.
Old 05-12-2023, 14:42   #14

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

Thanks for the link to your blog. It looks like it was a great cruise!
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hallberg rassy