Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2015, 11:55   #1

Boat: IP 40
Maine/Nova Scotia for hurricane season?

Howdy Folks,

We've been kicking around rough drafts for our eventual departure (likely 2017) and I'm looking for a little sanity check.

Our goal would be to depart the Houston area in April for Florida, Dry Tortugas, Keys and then likely north up the east coast. We'd really like to continue north as far as comfortable for hurricane season. With the goal being to drop back down to the Bahamas and into the Caribbean for the winter months.

I realize that Hurricanes reach pretty far north and are not uncommon into Nova Scotia and beyond. My question is, How far north do you have to get to significantly reduce your risk. For instance, I know Granada has had a few hurricanes, but cruisers still flock there to get out of the high risk zone. Is there something similar up north?

We really want to get up there and enjoy the summer months but would like to minimize our risk as much as possible. We're early in the planning phase, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
EB
Old 05-10-2015, 12:18   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
Re: Maine/Nova Scotia for hurricane season?

I think there is a significant insurance break with boats that do not go south of the St. Mary's River (in other words, not south of Georgia) during hurricane season. Since insurance is all about risk ..... I save some by self-limiting my navigation area to regions north of NC. In the summer, the Chesapeake offers good cruising, especially with an a/c for the nights, and Long Island Sound or Maine do as well. A/c there not essential, esp. Maine, but there are days ....
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:51   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Hurricanes on the east coast almost always come with adequate warning. Especially ones that hit north of Cape Hatteras. As a cruiser you won't know the best places to hide your boat or be in first place to get hauled - like the locals will. As long as you prepare early, you should be OK. Latter in the season you will be further south, like in the Chesapeake, but it will still be too early to head south. You can hang near somewhere that you can be hauled in a potential storm or scope out a decent hurricane hole that you plan go to - in advance
The Bahamas and the eastern Carib in one winter is a lot of traveling to weather and not a lot of play time. Doing them in two seasons let's you enjoy both. Plus you can get to the eastern Carib by sailing down from mid-east coast instead of many days motoring along the thornless passage.
Old 05-10-2015, 13:04   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

Our insurance requires us to be north of 30.5degrees by 1 July. A look at the hurricane strike probability by state shows that the chances of getting a hit generally fall-off the further up the coast you go -- the exceptions being VA through NJ. hurricane probability for US East Coast Keep in mind that the probability by state is not normalized for length of coast-line, and thus do not reflect the danger in any one spot -- but they do indicate where hurricanes are more likely.

Mahjor hurricanes in southern New England and New York are rare, but not unheard of -- and some have been devastating. Maine is about as far as you'd have to go to reduce your chances of a major hurricane (<1%). However, if transiting back and forth to the Carribbean, Nova Scotia may be just as close as Maine (Portland, ME -> St. Georges, Bermuda = ~728nm; Shelburne, NS -> St Georges = ~683nm -- Of course you can find closer/further points, but each of those is a reasonable jumping off point).
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50   #5

Boat: S&S Loki Yawl 38'

Hurricanes require warm water to remain powerful so it is rare for even the large storms to retain hurricane force strength once they reach Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia also has numerous hurricane holes spread along the Southern coast and the holding is generally good. Especially as you move North up the coast you will rarely see more than 1-2 boats in an anchorage. There are also yards where your boat could be hauled it you preferred. If you want even better protection, sail the Bras D'or Lakes, entering at the canal in St. Peters. Good luck. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErBrown View Post
Howdy Folks,

We've been kicking around rough drafts for our eventual departure (likely 2017) and I'm looking for a little sanity check.

Our goal would be to depart the Houston area in April for Florida, Dry Tortugas, Keys and then likely north up the east coast. We'd really like to continue north as far as comfortable for hurricane season. With the goal being to drop back down to the Bahamas and into the Caribbean for the winter months.

I realize that Hurricanes reach pretty far north and are not uncommon into Nova Scotia and beyond. My question is, How far north do you have to get to significantly reduce your risk. For instance, I know Granada has had a few hurricanes, but cruisers still flock there to get out of the high risk zone. Is there something similar up north?

We really want to get up there and enjoy the summer months but would like to minimize our risk as much as possible. We're early in the planning phase, so I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
EB
Lokiyawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:40   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Remember, as you go north to avoid hurricanes you have to deal with Nor'easters. Not the same as named tropical storms but significant in their own right.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 13:33   #7

Boat: IP 40

Thanks Folks,

We're still very much in the drawing board phase and at the moment, really like the idea of moving up the East Coast of the US to enjoy the summer and do a bit of exploring somewhere neither of us has spent much time on the water.

Our 'plan' would likely be to work our way North through hurricane season and then hope back down the coast until we're comfortable jumping offshore for the Bahamas. We've done the trip from the Chesapeake to the Bahamas once and would really like to get a chance to explore the Bahamas for a longer period of time next time around. Of course the big question from there is where to spend the next Hurricane season. Current thoughts are Rio Dulce or Grenada, with the goal being most likely a second season to explore the Caribbean before moving on from there.

Each have there challenges. With Grenada it looks like a lot of windward passages to get there but nice position for the next season. Rio Dulce might not be as tough to get to ending the season but looks challenging to get back up for the following season.

I need to grab my copy of world cruising routes off the boat next time we're there. In reality, it's all just what if's at this point, our goal is not to over plan this thing, but I like having something to aim for. Even knowing plans will likely change as we go.
Old 06-10-2015, 13:49   #8

You could also check out the Great Loop Association, since their members do the trip north regularly.

Happy planning and safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 15:00   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

ErBrown
You'll find the US east coast very cruiser friendly. Lots of places to anchor. World class cities to moor near and explore - Washington DC, New York, Boston all have cheap places to hang while visiting.
Old 06-10-2015, 15:14   #10

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
sailing along NS coast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokiyawl View Post
Hurricanes require warm water to remain powerful so it is rare for even the large storms to retain hurricane force strength once they reach Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia also has numerous hurricane holes spread along the Southern coast and the holding is generally good. Especially as you move North up the coast you will rarely see more than 1-2 boats in an anchorage. There are also yards where your boat could be hauled it you preferred. If you want even better protection, sail the Bras D'or Lakes, entering at the canal in St. Peters. Good luck. James
Hello, dear James !

... with interests I am following this thread. As I am interested in NS sea areas and reading a lot about. - I notice that you are a "local" living on NS. May I send you a PM related to some (personally) question about Nova Scotia ?

Tks in advance giving attention.

TC/Greetings from North Europe
Skippy

P.S.: Your Yawl is a real beauty :-)
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 17:02   #11

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

If you don't already have it, a RADAR system would be very high on my priorities for cruising Maine an NS. I have sailed there in the past without it and really wished I had it! Lots of fog even mid summer.

Tags
hurricane, maine, nova scotia