Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2013, 09:37   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Wanted - Your Favorite Recipe

Most of our provisioning/cooking involved canned or dry items but we were still able to make some pretty delicious meals! The three fresh ingredients we stocked up on whenever we got the chance were onions, garlic, and potatoes because those last a long time without refrigeration. Here are some of our favorite meals... (we don't really measure but just throw in stuff we love)

Arroz Con Pollo - Arroz con Pollo on a Boat | seadoodleseadoodle

Pizza in a Pan - simple and quick if you make the dough (flour, salt, sugar, yeast packet -we also add garlic powder!) before hand. Pizza in a Pan! | seadoodleseadoodle

Corned Beef & Grits - Bahamian style bfast: Cook grits on their own topped with butter/margarine. In a separate pan, cooked: canned corn beef, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, salt & pepper, any other spices you enjoy! http://www.seadoodle.com/wp-content/...5/IMG_3069.png

Grilled Mahi Mahi (or other delicious white fish) sandwich: Preferable a fresh caught fish, seasoned with oil, blackened seasoning and lemon pepper and then grilled. Fresh baked rolls (flour, sugar, salt, yeast packet). Sauce: mayo, chile powder, chipotle powder). http://www.seadoodle.com/wp-content/...ries2_mahi.png
seadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 13:32   #32
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Lots of good ideas here. Don't forget accessories such as inserts that allow two or three different things to be cooked in a pressure cooker or steamer at the same time. If you don't get these accessories at the same time as the pot/appliance or soon after, you'll never find them.
Old 22-09-2013, 10:04   #33

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios
Salt Water Cheese

Equal parts milk to Salt Water
Bring to where it just starts to boil and it will separate curd from whey
pour into colander lines with a chuck (cheese cloth or similar) to drain whey
Gather up sides and squeeze out liquid
I then tie it and put a tea kettle on to press for about an hour
You will have a cheese similar to feta

Tip: I make mine using full cream powdered milk and only seawater. For example my milk powder calls for one cup of powder to 3 cups water I use sea water not fresh and cheese is perfectly salted.

You can crumble in pasta, pour some olive oil on it serve on crackers use in salad etc etc
Add lemon pepper or other flavourings if you feel incline but on its own its super
Got this recipe from a guy from Malta
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2013, 10:30   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

We were on a passage from Virginia to BVIs, and hooked our first mahi-mahi just after crossing the Gulf Stream. We fileted it, cut the filets into serving-sized pieces and packaged all but four pieces for the freezer. Here's what we did with the four fresh pieces...

Mahi-Mahi with Mango Chutney Salsa

4 pieces of fresh, fileted mahi-mahi
2/3 cup diced onions
2/3 cup diced green peppers
Major Grey's Mango Chutney
Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)

Saute the serving-sized filets in a bit of olive oil and butter. Set aside. Add more butter to the skillet and saute the onions and green peppers until slightly browned (don't over cook). Add 2 or 3 tablespoons of the mango chutney, stirring. Deglaze the mixture with a little water to get the right consistency, and add some hot sauce, to taste.

Serve the filets topped with the salsa. Rice goes well with this dish.

You won't taste anything better than mahi-mahi that was swimming in the ocean a couple of hours before.
Old 22-09-2013, 10:48   #35

Boat: Lagoon 440

DOMINOS BUTTER TILOS
As served to Ange and John in a little bay on Tilos (Greek Isles) one evening when the wind was blowing and the seals and octopuses slept..

It's a butter that can be used to compliment either steak or fish....Scrumptious.

In a mortar combine the following, roll in aluminium foil, freeze and serve in slices melting onto the meat of your choice.... Keeps frozen for weeks.

Equal amounts of:-
Capers
Crushed Garlic
Anchovies
Pure butter

A glass of quality red, but drink this, do not add to paste

Smash till totally combined by vigorous use of a pestle, do this with some coarse salt and pepper added. ('Tis important to combine well)

Note If you want to use it more as a dressing/dip put some olive oil in to bring to a fluid consistencey and don't freeze.

Try you won't be disappointed.

FRANKOS....
Old 23-11-2013, 22:01   #36

Boat: Still building
15 minute Minestra - Minestrone

My ex came back from a trip to rellos in Italy several years ago with this one-pot instant 'Minestrone' idea, which I do regularly as it's so simple.

'Minestra' she was told is an abbreviation of minestrone, or is a contraction designed to differentiate this one-pot 'quickie' version from the real deal.

Bring a half pot of water to the boil. (One cup per person approx). Add one or two stock cubes to taste (vary flavour using Chicken or Veggie); or use pre-pack liquid stock, if you're rich and can afford it... lol
Add one handful of pasta per person. Spiralli, macaroni, farfalla, whatever...
Add one tin of Italian Roma tomatoes 440g per (two cups water in pot)
Add one small container (tin, plastic foil-seal) approx 50-80gms tomato paste
Add herbs and spices to taste: cracked black pepper, basil (fresh or dried), oregano, chilli etc...
Stir to combine and simmer on medium for 15mins or until pasta is 'al dente'.
If you want to you can add tinned or cooked lentils, chickpeas; dried carrots, dried peas; tinned corn kernels, bamboo shoots etc for added colour/flavour.
Serve and top with grated parmesan or some kind of cheese.

Can also be thickened with a bit of cornflour if you prefer soup 'creamy' rather than 'watery'.

Can also be placed in Thermos for midnight watch snack or off-boat lunch.

Keeps for a day if sealed - YMMV - or chilled in fridge for several days, or can be frozen if you have a big freezer. If freezing, allow to cool, then bag into zip-lock bags and freeze in either single or double portions.

So a big batch made at anchor and frozen can last for a several days of a long passage and only needs to be defrosted on bench and then warmed thru prior to eating.

Of course, if you're in port and have access to fresh greens, add whatever!

Enjoy!
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2013, 02:42   #37

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Whereas we typically eschew convenience foods, we really like curry paste. It can make a delicious meal out of plain vegetables or potatoes, add chicken or beef if you want (we've made it with canned beef even and it was really good!). It can be very simple to put together but realistically takes two pans, one for rice and one for the curry. We found terrific selections of curry spices once we got to Fiji and Indonesia.

I have had several occasions where I found morale was slipping on our boat and I would whip up some banana nut muffins. It was remarkable what a hot, sweet comfort food can do for morale. Lots of recipes to chose from on the web and a great way to use over-ripe bananas.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 07:28   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN
6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup uncooked popcorn
salt/pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush chicken well with melted butter, salt and pepper.
Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn.
Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.
Listen for popping sounds.
When the chicken's ass blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it is done.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 17:39   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN
6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup uncooked popcorn
salt/pepper to taste

When the chicken's ass blows the oven door open and the chicken flies across the room, it is done.
Good one, Gordie! Maybe it should be posted on the Joke Thread, too?

Ann
Old 30-10-2014, 22:51   #40

Boat: Sadler 25

Fast and two pots I call it cheats spag and mushroom sauce:

Put pasta water on to boil.
Mix 1 can Campbels cream of mushroom soup with half can milk and half can water and bring to simmer
Cook pasta of your choice for 5 mins, then drain and add pasta to soup mix, continue cooking pasta for rest of recommended time. The soup will thicken and give you a nice coating sauce on the pasta.

Top with cheese.

Really easy for when I'm too seasick/tired to make anything fancy and Rob is starving.

Rob's favorite is corned beef hash, you can par boil the potatoes if you want or just cut 'em up small and saute.

For 2: Par boil 4 potatoes, then brown in frying pan, when browned add 1 chopped onion and as much chopped garlic as you like, when onion is done, add a chopped tomato. then cut corned beef (for 2 I use half a 400grm can) into small cubes and add to pan. When nice and mushy, use a spoon to make dents in the top and break an egg into each dent. Cover with lid for few mins till eggs done. Serve and top with chili sauce.
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 00:33   #41

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Connie makes up sage dressing mix ( to mix with dried bread or biskets ect) and we use it stuff fish ! You wont believe how good this be till yall try it ! Even black tail tuna becomes a Gormand supper!! Iv'e even stuffed barracuda and it was pretty good!! It's just something to try with all those fish yall catch out there !! LOL All kidding aside it do make a great tasting meal !!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:01   #42

Boat: 47' Cutter

BAKED STUFFED CHICKEN
6-7 lb. chicken
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing
1 cup uncooked popcorn
salt/pepper to taste

Thanks Gord May. We are deep, mid refit (our mantra is your tagline) and this has made made me cry laughing! When the cooker gets fitted I'll give it a go!

Moose Marine

PS Any particular drinks selection to go with this?
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:44   #43

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

My favorite sailing snack is quick and dirty. Open up a can of hormel chili. Spread a big blob on a flour tortilla. Mission is a good brand. Guerrero is another. Avoid the Old El Paso or other garbage brands that look, feel, and taste like thick paper. Crush a bag of Doritos, whatever flavor, but I like Cool Ranch. Sprinkle on the chili. Dribble some Pace chunky picante sauce or other salsa or pico De gallo. Optionally add shredded cheese or whatever. Roll n tuck, eat. No cooking. Goes good with beer.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54   #44

Boat: 47' Cutter

To the original OP 2 a couple of our favourite recipes...
Pasta Puttenesca (Tarts Pasta) – serves 2
Adapted from Delia Smith’s recipe (UK culinary guru, who baked the cake on the cover of the Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album) Most of the ingredients are store cupboard, we sometimes add peppers, aubergine and courgettes (bell peppers, egg plant and zucchini) if we have some in the fridge. A fresh grating of parmesan sends this to a higher plane. This can be knocked up quicker than it takes to put the boat to bed once at anchor; bearings taken, anchor ball and light hoisted etc, also easy to cook underway. A pot ready made for a reheat is good night sail food.

Pasta for 2 - shape of your choice
1 Onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 fresh chilli or teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 can of chopped tomatoes
Small handful of Fresh basil or tablespoon dried
Small tin of anchovies in olive oil
Handful of black pitted olives
1 tablespoon of drained capers

Put the pan of water onto the boil for the pasta, add pasta as soon as its up to the boil and cook for the required time.
In the meantime pour the oil from the anchovies into a pan and add the chopped onion, gentle sauté for a few minutes until beginning to soften, add the garlic and chilli and sauté for a minute or so making sure not to let the garlic burn, add the can of chopped tomatoes with the basil, anchovies, olives and capers bring to the boil and then simmer for approx 5 minutes. Once pasta is cooked either add to the sauce or serve up in dishes garnished with parmesan and fresh shredded basil.

Blandy Blandy
This is my toned down casserole for a lively passage when plain, simple, non spicy food is required to keep seasickness at bay. When we were bringing our boat back to the UK, I used to prepare this 2 days before I flew out to join my partner and froze it; then on arrival we are ready for the off and a reheat en route. Strangely, on the last trip one of my 2 bags didn’t make it with me to Vigo and was delayed at Heathrow. I’m convinced that the combination of frozen casserole and 3 generator capacitors (sealed aluminium tubes) got the security sensors buzzing and meant that this particular bag didn’t reach me until 24 hours later.

Onion, chopped
Beef, cut into cut into mouth sized pieces
Carrot, cut into small mouth sized pieces
Root vegetables, of your choice, cut into small mouth sized pieces
Celery stick, chopped
Peas
Potatoes, cut into small mouth sized pieces
Stock or gravy to cover
Thyme

Fry the onion in sunflower/olive oil until it begins to soften, then add meat and brown along with the onions. Add the rest of the ingredients, cook on a very low heat at a bare simmer until meat is tender and falling to pieces 2 hour plus. If you prefer the veg with a bite, add later in the cooking process. I have no experience with a pressure cooker (yet), but I imagine this would be great cooked in one.

In port my normal one pot stew recipe is Raymond Blanc’s Beef Bourguignon, red wine, reduction and time, green beans cooked al dente, yum

Finally check out Seaworthy Lass's thread...
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMarine View Post
To the original OP 2 a couple of our favourite recipes...
Pasta Puttenesca (Tarts Pasta) – serves 2
Adapted from Delia Smith’s recipe (UK culinary guru, who baked the cake on the cover of the Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album) Most of the ingredients are store cupboard,
A Sicilian taught me this recipe on his home turf. The more direct translation is Whore's Pasta, not because of the addition of anchovies , but because it can be made so quickly that it gets prostitutes back on the street ASAP .

His version was without onions and had more garlic. The intense flavour of the sauce is scrumptious and it is even better made several hours before. Freshly shaved parmesan tops it off beautifully . Perfect boat food, as all ingredients keep for months without refrigeration.

Thanks for the reminder Moose, I haven't made this in a while.
SWL x

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted