Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 15:12   #46
BAM

Re: Wanted - Your Favorite Recipe

Spaghetti Pie

"Crust" – 2 Cups cooked thin spaghetti, 1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese, 1 beaten egg (also fine without egg), 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon margarine. Combine the above ingredients. Spray a 9” glass pie plate, spread spaghetti mix over the bottom and up the sides.

Filling:
2/3 Cup ricotta cheese (can do without if you don't have it)

2 teaspoons butter or margarine
¼ Cup diced onion
¼ cup red or yellow pepper, or zucchini (or any sturdy cooked veggies)

1 minced garlic clove
½ pound ground beef (or turkey)
1 Cup canned whole tomatoes chopped
2 Teaspoons tomato paste
2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
3 oz. white/Jack cheese shredded

Spread ricotta over the bottom and sides of spaghetti crust. In skillet, cook the meat until brown with a little salt and pepper and set aside. In the same pan, heat margarine until bubbly, add onions, garlic, peppers/zucchini and sauté until translucent. Add tomatoes and paste, when bubbling return the meat to the pan (drained if greasy) and cook until slightly thickened. Spread cheese over the top and bake until cheese is melted and starting to brown, 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 5-10 minutes before cutting - slice and serve like pie. (For lighter version use 6 oz. ground turkey or chicken and forgo the Jack cheese on top).

The great thing about this recipe is that you can make the spaghetti "crust" and fill it with almost any kind of ground meat, add some cooked veggies and cheese, mix it all up, cover with cheese and throw it in the oven for 20 min or so. The recipe is just a place to start. It's one of those dishes where leftovers are better than the first day!
BAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 08:50   #47
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat

Haggis Neeps and Tatties. I grew up sailing in Scotland. About 30 mins before we would anchor just throw it all into a pan of boiling water. Take the haggis out and mash the veg and throw it all onto a plate. Nice warm meal to warm you up after a days sailing in Scotland
Old 06-12-2014, 19:34   #48

Easy, quick, cheap and delicious! Try this one as you pull into a new anchorage and get ready for guests!

Linguini with Clam Sauce:

• 1 stick butter (1/2 cup or 1/4 lb)
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• 6 cloves garlic minced
• 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
• 1 heaping Tablespoon sweet basil
• 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or more to taste
• pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
• can of minced clams
• can of chopped clams
• 1 lb. linguine (spinach is best) cooked
• Lots of Parmesan!!!

First, open all the hatches and portholes and anchor upwind of the fleet if possible. Pour yourself a glass of wine and pop in your favorite playlist.
On medium/low heat, melt the butter with the olive oil. Ad the garlic and sauté for a few minutes but don't burn the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients except pasta and Parmesan. Simmer, stirring often while you cook the pasta. I often add a little white wine to the pan and let it cook down with the clam juices.
Serve over cooked pasta and grated Parmesan cheese. A salad, bread and a crisp white wine makes this a feast you'll repeat over and over.

This recipe came out of the old Lat's & Att's magazine and was submitted by Gina Godfrey. Thanks Gina! I've used this recipe more than any other I've ever taken out of a cookbook or magazine. You will love it too!!!!

Fairwind & Godspeed
Sailorman62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 21:51   #49

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We are lucky fishermen ! So one of our favorites is fish based! Ive cooked this with all kinds of fish, even barracuda! Clean fish, dehead then stuff body with regular sage dressing, we have been using a packaged type that comes vacume sealed. (if ya ck after Christmas it's a bunch cheaper lol) Bake in the oven or in a bar-b-cue with a crockery plate or dish. A few onion slices on top helps a little! (onions help everything LOL) Cooks pretty fast, so keep a watch on it till ya get it down ! It makes a great dinner for a bunch of folks ya just need more fish LOL We have been eating it like this for more years then I like to remember !! It's GOOD !
Old 07-12-2014, 11:22   #50

Boat: Skookum 53'

Back in my commercial salmon fishing days, I used to take boneless pork ribs, put them in a foil lined pan and sprinkle on some Monterey steak seasoning, and my favorite bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's) and put them in the oven of my oil stove, (which was going all of the time at the lowest possible setting) and in a couple or 3 hours I would have a delicious hot lunch, not too sure about the temp, or the time, the oil stove was older than me and the time was whenever I got a break from pulling fish out of the net, it was always hot and good, and a perfect mugup for a long day killing fish. A favorite appetizer of mine is: Take fresh Jalapenos split them in half, gut them, put cream cheese in the hole, take partially cooked bacon strips and wrap them around the cream cheese filled Jalapenos and put them on a cookie sheet in the oven on broil until the cream cheese starts to brown, very tasty, not to spicy and you can eat a dozen of them and not even notice.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:34   #51

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Back in my commercial salmon fishing days, I used to take boneless pork ribs, put them in a foil lined pan and sprinkle on some Monterey steak seasoning, and my favorite bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's) and put them in the oven of my oil stove, (which was going all of the time at the lowest possible setting) and in a couple or 3 hours I would have a delicious hot lunch, not too sure about the temp, or the time, the oil stove was older than me and the time was whenever I got a break from pulling fish out of the net, it was always hot and good, and a perfect mugup for a long day killing fish. A favorite appetizer of mine is: Take fresh Jalapenos split them in half, gut them, put cream cheese in the hole, take partially cooked bacon strips and wrap them around the cream cheese filled Jalapenos and put them on a cookie sheet in the oven on broil until the cream cheese starts to brown, very tasty, not to spicy and you can eat a dozen of them and not even notice.
Both those recipes sound good. On another thread, Saucy Sailoress wrote of a method of using a pressure cooker like a slow cooker. You put in the contents, bring it to weight-rattle, and turn off and let sit 1/2 hr. Then bring it back up to weight rattle, and turn off again, and let sit till it has depressurized. Test your chops. You might need to give it one more hit. But since you're only applying heat for a few minutes, you save heaps of fuel.

Obviously not necessry in Homer, you might prefer the oven on low all the time. But for people in warmer climes, the SS method saves fuel and will create lovely meals.

Ann
Old 07-12-2014, 12:59   #52

Boat: Skookum 53'

Yeah Ann, you are right, it wouldn't work very good for warm climates. We just get that bone chilling cold even in the summer time, if the wind is blowing on the water. You always sweat under the oilskins so I, for one crave fatty meat. The oil stove in the tropics would boil you out in no time, I like the pressure cooker idea for that, have to give it a try when I move further south. Thanks. And then there is always the fresh salmon filet in the skillet with onion, garlic, dill, and olive oil, cooked just enough to turn the meat opaque. You can get fancy and boil up some rice and pour the cooking juice from the salmon on the rice with a little soy sauce. Okay, now I am hungry, I have to rustle up something to eat.
Old 21-05-2017, 10:30   #53

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Lots of good ideas here. Don't forget accessories such as inserts that allow two or three different things to be cooked in a pressure cooker or steamer at the same time. If you don't get these accessories at the same time as the pot/appliance or soon after, you'll never find them.
I know this is an old thread, but I'm avoiding scrubbing the topsides in the current sideways rain and 40F weather😝.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1495386928674.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	148143

The attached picture contains: an ss extruder fitting for the manual pasta extruder (2 or 3 are used as spacers to lift containers off the bottom), an ss bowl which fits in the pc with a cm+ clearance on all sides (1 pot cooking for things like roasts, soups, curries, without messing the pc), and silicone containers for cooking small amounts of multiple items separately. The little 1.5cup silicone pot with a lid (I have 2) is great and the lid also fits on the plunge milk frother pitcher in the background.

Mostly, the mini silicones are used to cook different types of grains and pulses, each to perfection. Also, individual little cakes and puddings. Steaming different veg. Or just to have individual presentations/portion sizes (meatloaves, etc).

I've only been pressure cooking for 9 months, but I'll never go back. Although my cooking style tends towards the fresh or less energy intensive meals, pc makes the best soup, and the best grain and bean cooker (esp with a wonderbag).

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 21:41   #54

Boat: Still building

I've just invented a new favourite - I'm calling it Pot au Pois (Pot of peas)

Basically I just couldn't be bothered cooking anything complicated one night and had some frozen peas left in the bottom of the freezer - but have sinced tried with canned and it's fine that way too - dried would also work.

Basically, boil salted water, add peas, cook till well tender.

Slice up bacon, salami whatever you have into small 5mm pieces. Fry off lightly to warm through and add a little colour, but not cook or crisp.

Add to drained peas.

Open small tin of tuna, add to mix.

Add a bit of butter, pepper and salt to taste.

Ladle into bowl and eat. I use a fork but a spoon can be used if the boat is rocking.

Comfort food.

Add tinned whatever else; chili flakes, herbs.....be creative.

Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 02:25   #55

Love it.

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-05-2017, 08:13   #56

Boat: Simonis 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcerdos View Post
We are about to move onto our boat and cruise full time. We are interested in recipes. Specifically, I would like recipes that are one or two pan meals that can be made in about 20 minutes.

If you have something that is absolutely scrumptious and would care to share, please do so.

We will try all that is sent to us and will post our favorites on our blog for others to try.

Many thanks!!!!
I'm not posting any one pot recipes, but;

You might like our Free Barbecue Cookbook available here: svRevelations.com - Downloads

We have thousands of recipes we collected over the years and perhaps you might also like the software we use - MasterCook
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:11   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
I'm not posting any one pot recipes, but;

You might like our Free Barbecue Cookbook available here: svRevelations.com - Downloads
Hi Revelations
Thanks for the free pdf of recipes . An excellent collection!

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:47   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Revelations
Thanks for the free pdf of recipes . An excellent collection!

SWL
Seconded!

turtletraveling.com
Old 22-05-2017, 16:21   #59

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

The incredible kitchen sink casserole:

Slice any and all veggies you have on hand. Especially good choices are zucchini, mushrooms, onion, green pepper, potatoes, etc. But this dish works with everything!

Grate or slice whatever cheese you have on hand. You can use cottage cheese and or ricotta too and makes the dish more like lasagna if you use it.

Mix an 8Oz can of tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes or several diced tomatoes with crushed garlic, 1 or two teaspoons Italian seasoning blend or use oragano, basil, bay leaf and rosemary for a total of 1 to 2 teaspoons herbs.

Find any meat you may have. Great for leftovers. Chicken, sausage, ham, beef, whatever.

Don't worry about proportions on anything.

Layer veggies, cheese and meat into a pressure cooker, cover with spice tomato sauce or spiced tomatoes. Bring your pressure cooker up to high, turn down and cook until your longest cooking ingredient is done. About 5-7 minutes but longer if your ingredients require it.

You can also bake this in the oven at about 400f for 20 to 25 minutes.

This is a great dish to make when you don't have enough ingredients to make a full dish of anything. Use left over taco meat or beans. Add green chillies and skip the Italian seasoning but use red pepper, cumin, chili powder etc instead.

Still not enough in the pot? Mix up some corn bread or biscuit dough and put on top before you cook your dish.

Another casserole:

Diced white potatoes (about 3 cups)
Add a 7 Oz can of tuna
1 cup of fresh or frozen peas or a can of peas (drained)
1 or 2 cups cheddar cheese (actually any cheese will do but sharp/ aged is best)
Stir in 1 can cream of mushroom soup
2/3 cup of milk or half and half or cream mixed 50/50 with water
Corse ground pepper to taste.

Can be cooked in a pressure cooker (cook as for the potatoes) or bake in a 400 degree oven.
We like the potatoes instead of noodles. I can't advise how to cook with noodles because we don't use them!
Old 22-06-2017, 06:03   #60

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.

As already mentioned on previous posts a pressure cooker is a great addition onboard & saves a lot of energy & your cooking gas supply will last much longer.

Here is another energy saving tip if you enjoy mashed potatoes. No need to peel or boil the potatoes either.

Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted