Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 08:08   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Wanted - Your Favorite Recipe

1 sour
2 sweet
3 strong
4 weak
pour over ice
garnish with nutmeg
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 08:35   #17

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Boat Galley Cookbook available on Amazon. The authors have a downloadable sample on their website theboatgalley.com
Old 16-05-2013, 13:54   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailcruiser,

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Here's the bread recipe. It can be made all in a day, you don't have to let it rise overnight, although I have. It's a really old recipe. Sometimes I make one of the thirds into cinnamon rolls, and use the remaining 2/3 to make plain bread. If you're going to make iit in the day time, use 1 TBSP yeast, so it rises faster, and you need something really large to use for the bowl--I have a steamer that I use for a bowl to mix it in.

GRANDMA’S OVERNIGHT BREADS

3 c. warm water, ½ c. sugar, 2 eggs,
1 tsp. active yeast, 1/3 c. oil or melted butter, 2 tsp salt,
9-10 c. flour

About 4-5 hrs. before going to bed, make the dough: combine water, yeast, sugar, oil, eggs and salt in a large bowl. Gradually stir in flour to make a stiff dough. Knead until smooth and satiny, 8-10 min. Cover; let stand 2 hrs.

Punch down. Let rise an hour and punch down. Let rise again. Before going to bed, divide dough into thirds and shape as below, or shape into loaves (3 small, two lg.) Cover; let rise at room temp., no higher than 72 deg. F. [~26 d. C] overnight (8 or 9 hrs.) The dough should rise till very light and more than doubled. Bake at 375 d. F [190 d. C] 25-35 min. till golden.

CINNAMON ROLLS: Melt 1/4 c. butter. Brush 13 x 9 pan with half the butter. Roll out 1/3 of dough to a 15" x 10" rectangle on floured surface. Brush with remaining butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 c. each white and brown sugar, mixed with 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon. Nuts, raisins, etc. can be added. Roll up, starting with 15" side. Cut into 15 1" pieces. Place cut side down in pan. Cover. Let rise overnight. Cover pan or slip into a large plastic bag. Uncover. Bake 25-30 min.

STICKY BUNS: Melt ¼ c. butter with 2/3 c. or more brown sugar in 13” x 9” pan. Sprinkle with chopped pecan nuts. Proceed as for cinnamon rolls.

PAN ROLLS: Divide 1/3 of dough into 20 pieces. Shape into rolls. Place in greased 13” x 9” pan. Cover. Let rise overnight. Bake 25-30 min.

Assuming that you are going to make buns or rolls, and use the remaining dough for bread, use the 5 QT. PRESSURE COOKER: (8 Qt. Pressure Cooker will do 9 c. Loaf)
1. Remove sealing ring; oil sides and bottom carefully, then inside of lid.
2. Place twice-risen dough in cooker, turn to oil top and let rise till double (after 2 risings in bowl).
3. Cook over lowest heat 45 min. For 7 c. Loaf. If possible, make aluminum foil tent over the top to help keep heat in over top and sides.
4. When it's done, you can turn over cooked loaf, and cook briefly to brown top a bit.

If you then want a square loaf, cut off the curved sides. To use the “leftover bits”, slice in 1 inch slices, spread with oil mixed with crushed or minced garlic, and lightly fry for a “garlic bread” snack or hors d’oeuvre.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:43   #19

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Thank ya'll!

Keep 'em comming.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 09:46   #20

Fish tacos for us too! I keep a blend of taco spices on board that I just make up before we go that can also be used for chili. Whatever white fish we find along the way gets thrown into a ziploc bag with some olive oil and the spices in the morning and marinate in fridge until lunch or dinner. Cook it on BBQ in foil BBQ tray, toast the hard shells on the grill too and serve up with all kinds of toppings ie sour cream, avocado, salsa, etc. Serve with cold beer! Always a hug hit
Kellyinthewack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 15:02   #21
Rav

Boat: Semaster Sailer 23

Hi. I'm not an expert cook or a particularly experienced cruiser and am on here to learn rather than contribute, really, but I have a couple of thoughts. As much based on my land based single parenting time constraints as my cruising!

Zero pans!!
?Cerviche? The Mexican fish dish where you 'cook' the fish by marinading in lime juice! No pans. You need really fresh fish but that shouldn't be a problem on a boat! No fishy smells on the boat either. Just marinade fish in a cooler overnight, add spices and vegetables and serve. Delicious and very healthy. It doesn't taste like 'raw' fish. It tastes like perfectly cooked soft and delicate fish!

One Pan..... Cous Cous.
The main benefit is that you don't need to cook the Cous Cous, itself. Just pour boiling water into the serving dish and leave to stand.
For the stew - Only one pan required. If you are in France very decent pre-made couscous (stew) is available in supermarkets.

One Pan ... Unexotic but easiest to make. Pasta Pesto.
Cook any pasta, drain and add a jar of pesto sauce. Add anything you fancy to enhance the dish. Our (veggie) favourite addition is cubes of feta cheese. Others add sun dried tomatoes, ham, chorizo, whatever you fancy. A mixed salad is a nice accompaniment.

A few people have suggested stir fries. Noodles are a great alternative to rice since they cook almost instantly in boiling water which is handy if you are on a long passage and conserving gas.

Just a few ideas.

Rav.
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 13:43   #22
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

As you can see from the suggestions above, tastes vary widely so ultimately you will find your own favorites depending on taste, what equipment you have and how often you can shop for fresh foods versus eating out of your lockers. One rule: appetites swell at sea (not at the dock). After a hard day's run make more than you used to at home. I love Judy's idea about stir-fry because it can be different every day depending on what is on hand.
Old 24-06-2013, 15:39   #23

This recipe is nothing crazy special or creative, but I eat it all of the time because it is easy and I LOVE PASTA.

My family calls it 'pot of poo'. Haha my mom said pot of food and we heard it wrong, so it just stuck. Anyways, you just make a box of pasta and put it back on the stove. Add a can or two of tomatoes depending on how you like it, add some parmesan cheese. Stir until it is all hot and the cheese is stringy like a pizza commercial. all done! Sometimes we add italian seasoning, too. My dad likes it with hamburger meat.

Enjoy!
-Jess
Jess20Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 03:45   #24

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Here are a few tapas (no pans!)

Cut some fresh salmon (or fresh tuna) into small chunks. Finely dice some spring onions. Marinade for an hour or two in olive oil and lime juice. toast some sourdough bread. load salmon on, top off with parmesan cheese.

or

Same as above, but instead of olive oil and lime, use sour cream. instead of parmesan, use blue cheese.

If you catch some lobster or big crabs:

Mince up immense amounts of fresh basil, finely dice some spring onions, mix that and salt/pepper to taste into mayonnaise. serve lobster on sourdough with big globs of the mayo

All of the above call for a good sauvigon blanc or similar.

I written a whole cookbook (everyone always asks me for my recipes when they eat at our house). PM me you e-mail and I will send it to you.

Anybody else wants one - just PM me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 23:38   #25

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Absolutely +1 on the pressure cooker.

We've carried two for over 25 years, now ...
Ann
Couldn't agree more. I just got my first pressure cooker and used it to cook sambar twice on a 5-day trip (we are local cruisers - not blue water)

Sambar is a 1-pot meal in the pressure cooker *if* you cook the dal first, then remove the dal to a bowl and cook the tarka & vegetables then mix the whole bit together at the end. 2 pots if you count the pot of rice. BTW I love this recipe b/c it uses NO refrigerated foods. It is actually very easy to make on anchor although I wouldn't try it while under way in a small boat.

For 2-3 people using a 3 quart Hawkins Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker.
Prep Time:
Soak Dal 15 minutes - 4 hours (the longer the better)
Cook time: 30 minutes + 15 minutes of prep or cooling the cooker

Ingredients for Step 1
• 1 cup Toor Dal (split pigeon peas)
• 1 t sea salt or Himalayan pink salt
• ½ t turmeric (haldi)
• 2-3 c water

Directions for Step 1
1. Drain & Rinse the soaked dal until there is no more foam
2. Add water, spices and cook in pressure cooker for 25 minutes
3. Let cool naturally while you chop veggies for step 2 & 3

Ingredients for Step 2 (Tarka)

• 4 T coconut oil
• 1 t cumin seeds (jeera)
• ¼ t fenugreek seed (methi)
• ½ t mustard seeds (rai)
• Pinch of asafetida (hing)
• 4 dry whole red chilies (optional)
• ½ large onion, 1 small onion, or shallots – chopped fine
• 1 large tomato cubed in small pieces.
• 1-2 T Sambar Masala mix (from Indian grocery)

Directions for Step 2

1. After 15 minutes cooling, open your pressure cooker and remove the dal to a bowl. Rinse & dry pressure cooker.
2. Heat oil, then add the spices. Cook & stir until seeds pop
3. Add onion and sautee until transparent
4. Add Sambar masala powder
5. Add tomato

Ingredients for Step 3
• 3-4 c Chopped vegetables: 1-2 carrot, 1 zucchini (or Mexican squash or Italian crookneck squash), 1 flying saucer squash, 1/8 – 1/4 head of purple cabbage, whatever you have on-hand.
• 1-2 t tamarind paste
• Water from cooking the Dal + 1-2 cups extra water (as needed to fill pot to 50% capacity)

Directions for Step 3 – Vegetables

1. Add chopped vegetables to the Tarka mix and stir until coated with spices
2. Take “water” from the dal and add to the tarka & veggies. Add additional water to fill the pressure cooker to 50% capacity or so.
3. Add tamarind pulp
4. Cover cooker and bring to pressure (2-5 minutes depending on your stove).
5. Turn off heat and let cool for 15 minutes
6. Add the Dal back into the pot and stir
7. Salt to taste and serve with white basmati rice

Bon Apetit!
NatKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 08:43   #26

Boat: Island Trader 37

Wow! Some of these recipes are really interesting! Great thread.
Rubyvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 09:27   #27

Boat: 28 ft Intrepid, hull #13

Food Wishes Video Recipes: Spaghetti with Red Clam Sauce - One of my "Go To" Favorites
S/V Blondie-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:50   #28

Here are three super quick one-pot pantry dinners for two I frequently make:

Fry two or three eggs to taste then remove from pan Heat one can black beans (or better yet, leftover homemade beans) in the same pan. Put black beans in shallow bowl, pour 1 cup salsa or pico over the top, put eggs on top, and serve.

Cook pasta until done. Drain, toss with olive oil and pepper. Set aside. Heat olive oil in pan. Sautee onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes. Stir fry vegetables of choice until almost done. Add pepper. Add fish/shrimp/scallops, basil and 1 cup stock or wine (or mix of the two) and cook until seafood almost done. Add cooked pasta and small amount of lemon juice or vinegar. Cook for 1 minute stirring. Adjust salt and serve.

Boil Lentils until done drain. Saute tons of garlic and ginger in oil until fragrant. Add 1 T of your favorite curry powder. Cook over high for one minute. Add lentils and cook for a minute mixing well. Make crepes and fill with curried lentils. For dessert serve banana and Nutella crepes.

Other quick and easy:

Learn to roast a chicken well. Always tasty and easy as long as you have an oven
Risotto - can add near anything to it once you have the basics down
Frittata - can add near anything to it
(Empty the Fridge Frittata | Pain Free Kitchen)
Loaded Baked Potato/Sweet potato - can add near anything to it
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:36   #29

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53

Thank you everyone for the posts. Keep them coming!!!! We have some very interesting and tasty concoctions on this thread.
mcerdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 10:46   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

glow in dark fish

catch one--you can see em in the ocean...
clean and fillet it. you wont need lights, so is an efficient dinner.
pan fry in skillet with butter or breaded. lotsa garlic..onion, serranos, julienned

serve with pico de gaglow

you will die happy.

recipe only works in pacific ocean.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted