Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2019, 23:16   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Efficient cooking

My power rating here in Europe is 230v. I seem to get better usage than 110V from the Honda 2K generator.

Also, on a minuscule amount of fuel, I can run for 4-5 hours. I have a soft start adaptor but don't think I need it unless occasionally there is a surge when something turns on. In any event, when cooking on the Westerly, induction hob, Instant pot and Thermos hot water are on together and as the thermostats goes on and off, you can hear the motor change as load is applied.

On the other vessel, with inverters etc, it just is a joy to run a full kitchen.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 23:23   #77

Boat: '71 Cruise-A-Home Corsair 40' & Fiberform 28'

Originally Posted by lvictorlucas...
...the best option is to use portable propane stove with a pressure cooker and then place it into an insulated container once it is up to temperature and let it sit there for a while....
...Refill the small propane container from a 20lb container with an adapter you can get from many stores like Harbor Freight...
...If the stove is a permanent installation you can connect it directly to the 20lb container but make sure you turn the valve off after every use...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Some seriously bad propane advice here.
I'm not as reactionary as most to the use of propane on boats, but you are right, boatpoker- this particular advice is courting disaster.

The refill adaptors for 1lb propane cylinders should not be used under any circumstances.

- The valving of the small "disposable" cylinders is not designed for refilling.

- Refill methods of inverting the primary cylinder and cooling the secondary cylinder are based on individual users' trial and error.

- A significant percentage (10%-20% depending on who's doing the guessing) fail directly upon refilling.

Be very carful of anecdotal "information" when it comes to refilling single use gas cylinders.
goguygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 23:50   #78

Has anyone ever tried a Cuisinart combo steam & convection oven? Supposedly it can speed up some cooking.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSO.../dp/B00E6ZK8BQ
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 02:20   #79

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I'm surprised that nobody has linked this very good thread here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ey-201795.html about Solar, LiPo, and an All Electric Galley,

I think it's the definitive recent thread on this subject with all the numbers and real world use experience too (including running air conditioning).

It might be more difficult to achieve on a monohull with less space for the solar but this will vary from boat to boat. On the other hand the monohull might also be able to carry more battery capacity to help offset this.

In general the simple answer is that the LiPo batteries are the key to the all electric galley as they exhibit much less voltage drop when a high current device such as a galley appliance is used.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:14   #80

Boat: Friese 'praam', 65'

We use propane for hot water (shower, bath and other hot-water needs, and also for cooking. Each bottle lasts us, on average, somewhere between 45 and 60 days, so yes, it's pretty cheap (costs us about 190 Euros per year, and that's using it every day).

We have it set up so no gas can leak into the bilges, of course, as it is potentially catastrophic. Any form of heat production has its dangers. Awareness and caution are always called for on a boat, even if it's a static house-boat.
David1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:12   #81
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goguygo View Post

Be very carful of anecdotal "information" when it comes to refilling single use gas cylinders.
It is also illegal in Canada and the US and this alone will void any insurance claim involving these things.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:04   #82

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Our main cooker is a 2 burner plus grill methalated spirit stove available in Australia called the Maxi stove. I think this is known in US as a spirit stove?
We have a 1500wat inverter that runs a toaster and bread maker and (suprisingly rarely) an 800 watt microwave oven. This has done wife and self and sometimes 1 or 2 others since 2014. Over 36000logged with this set up, not perfect but ok. Microwave is not gimballed so not good when rough or going to windward.
Really glad to not have gas, no professional fitting and periodic testing, no gas detector and periodic testing, no turn of the gas valve then go on deck to turn off the bottle. A fire with meths can be extinguished with water.
Used to use kerosene pressure stoves back when spares readily available, these days i dont think that is a viable proposition .
After reading this thread will be investigating adding an induction cooktop and maybe small hot water jug.
Met an Austrian couple in Cocos Keeling using a solar oven who were happy with it.
Barry
Ausie sv Risky Business
Currently in Greece
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:37   #83

Boat: Friese 'praam', 65'

Quote:
It is also illegal in Canada and the US and this alone will void any insurance claim involving these things.
In the Netherlands, refilling propane bottles except at special plants is illegal too. However, one neighbour we had found a way around that law. He had a couple of 60 or 80 liter propane tanks bought at a truck and car wrecking site; while using one, he would take the empty one, in the back of his car, to our local petrol station (gas pump) to fill it. Being from a vehicle, the filling hose fitted the valve perfectly. Being a neighbour (the pump is only 40 yards from our boat), the attendant turned a blind eye. Back in the day, that was even cheaper than individual propane bottles. He only had to fill tanks two or three times a year, and he had a huge houseboat that needed plenty of heating.
David1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 13:28   #84
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Efficient cooking

The issue with refilling 1 lb bottles is that they often leak when refilled. I guess the valve is weak and just good for one use?
Anyway unless I’m mistaken there are now 1lb bottle that are designed to be refilled and I have to assume they are better quality as they are not meant to be one use things.

Just like if you use a propane torch you should leave it attached to the bottle and of course store it in the propane locker.
I have a hose that attaches to my 10 lb bottle and will for the torch on the other end, same hose works to connect my grill to a 10 lb bottle instead of a 1 lb.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...kaAqmSEALw_wcB
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 14:13   #85
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The issue with refilling 1 lb bottles is that they often leak when refilled. I guess the valve is weak and just good for one use?
Anyway unless I’m mistaken there are now 1lb bottle that are designed to be refilled and I have to assume they are better quality as they are not meant to be one use things.

Just like if you use a propane torch you should leave it attached to the bottle and of course store it in the propane locker.
I have a hose that attaches to my 10 lb bottle and will for the torch on the other end, same hose works to connect my grill to a 10 lb bottle instead of a 1 lb.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-Ki...kaAqmSEALw_wcB
Neither Canadian nor US Departments of Transportation makes allowances for supposedly refillable 16.4oz. bottles
Old 07-07-2019, 19:37   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Efficient cooking

Well I guess they lied then, cause read the 5th bullet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	195542
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 19:55   #87
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Well I guess they lied then, cause read the 5th bullet.
Attachment 195542
US Department of Transportation Youtube video prohibiting this.
Old 07-07-2019, 20:04   #88

Quote:
US Department of Transportation Youtube video prohibiting this.
But just under that vid is another showing the ONLY DOT Approved 1 lb cylinder and refill kit....

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 20:06   #89
Marine Service Provider

If the above Youtube video is not enough you can go to the US Dept. Tansport website where they numerous articles on this issue.
https://search.usa.gov/search?query=...te=dot-phmsa-2
Old 07-07-2019, 20:10   #90
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
But just under that vid is another showing the ONLY DOT Approved 1 lb cylinder and refill kit....

The video you refer to is not a Department of Transportation video it is someone selling these things and that canister is not at all like the 1lb. bottles most buy at Walmart and appears specifically designed for refilling. I'll sti;; wait til' I see the DOT approval..

Tags
cooking