Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 00:56   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i use melitta cones. boil water, pour over coffee in cone--easy as instant but has flavor.add chocolate, unbleached sugar and cream..is good. under way as well as at home. i use very fine grind espresso roast coffee.
i tried french press cofffee--drank it that way for 2 yrs--didnt like it. too many grounds in my cup. my way there are none.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 01:12   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Are they Americans? Just chuck some Nescafe into the dishwater and serve luke-warm.

Here in France when asking for "Cafe au lait" they say in exquisite French accented English: "Do you want American Style or Coffee?"

Everyone gets instant on this boat at sea. Especially if its rough.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 02:28   #18
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
French Press!!, the french would not associate that with coffee my new world friends, its cafetière a piston.

PS second Bodrums cafetière though when its rough we just resort to nescafe ( and near mutinies!).

and agree with mARKj The french are amused at the american notion of coffee.

Cote D'azure brillinat isnt it Mark, have a boat in Baie des Anges, just down the road from you.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 03:49   #19

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
Aeropress! Hands down the best for proper coffee plus easy to clean. 'French Press'/cafetière doesn't touch it as the coffee grounds spend to long in contact with hot water.
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:02   #20

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Thanks, eveyone. I appreciate the responses, and the variety of input.

I will offer the choices to the crew and see what they prefer. The only one I veto is grinding coffee before brewing. I do not want the off watch woken by the sound of a coffee grinder. On my boat the galley placement will ensure that somebody gets awakened every time someone decides to make a pot of coffee. They will just have to suffer through with something already ground.

Thanks again.

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:05   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Cote D'azure brillinat isnt it Mark, have a boat in Baie des Anges, just down the road from you.

Dave
Its brilliant! Free anchorage right in the heart of it all. Have walked the Baie des Anges, and about everywhere else too. Marvelous

And the coffee!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 04:13   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
ditto on the french press. find one that is plexi instead of glass.
Old 27-08-2010, 04:21   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
We use one of these.

Stove top cappuccino
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 05:10   #24

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
You should consider also, toddy coffee. You prepare this beforehand and store it cold as a concentrate. Just put a shot glass worth in the cup and add hot water, and this is NOT instant coffee. You put a pound of coffee in the maker to brew it and it sits on your counter for 24 hours. (more or less depending on strength) drained through a special filter and chilled. You can make cubes and freeze if you prefer. Just go to toddymaker.com and check it out, only 20-30 bucks for the kit. I love mine as I don't have to deal with all the oil or acid that is created with hot brewed coffee.
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 05:14   #25

Melita cones... simple tasty. fast. not gear to maintain. KISS
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 05:29   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Another French Press (cafeteria piston) user here. The Bodum one cracked and we recently upgraded to a stainless steel thermos type. Very pricey but much better for rough use on board. Hot water for brewing made in an electric kettle when AC power is available; otherwise on the stove top.

Disadvantage of the French Press is the mess with the grounds afterwards. They are loose and messy, unlike the case with other types of coffee makers which contain the grounds in some kind of filter.

We used a camping-type stove-top percolator for years on board. It made the crappiest coffee I've ever had; good riddance.

To supplement the French Press, we also have a Nespresso pod-type espresso machine on board for special occasions. I am surprised no one mentioned this. As far as I'm concerned, this is the only way to make espresso on board. The machine itself is very compact and hence stowable since all it does is shoot a dose of boiling water through the pod. Just need a kilowatt of AC power for a few minutes. You can't get the pods everywhere, which is one disadvantage, but they are eminently stowable and are sealed so long lasting. The running cost is somewhat higher than loose espresso but you have zero waste and nothing ever goes stale so I don't think that the cost difference is so great in the long run; also you save money on the machine itself. The espresso is first-rate.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 06:27   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Although we fill pump style thermos jugs with Hot Chocolate (for her) and coffee (for him) before starting trips, if we need a coffee refill underway we use a Press but with pouched ground coffee which elimiates the mess and excessive use of water for clean-up. (See 4-Cup Coffee, Starbucks, Folgers, Hotel In-Room, Condiment Packs, Brewers, Motels, Bed & Breakfasts, Inns, Office, Home ) With the pouchs one just lets the coffee "steep" a bit longer. A "Thermos Mug" for each person is also helpful.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 06:34   #28

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
I found cleaning out a French press to take more water than I wanted to use. I found filters that sit in the basket of a percolator and that has worked out great. As long as your cooker is gimballed there is no issue making coffee even in pretty bumpy conditions. Sold my French press and got a nice stainless percolator in a camping store.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 06:45   #29

What an awesome forum...this is my first post! I'm enjoying my landlocked caffeine at this moment, dreaming of the big blue. Just this year I discovered the wonders of a french press, as I spend a lot of time far out in the mountains wandering. Mine is just an insulated tall cup with a plunger 'screen'. Pour hot water in, and push the screen down to stop grinds from getting through, then pour great coffee out the top, or drink straight from the cup. This way you can use electrical heat sources or anything else to get hot water, including but not limited to solar devices, alcohol, etc

bon voyage
WindRider707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 06:50   #30

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987
We use a Zassenhaus hand coffee grinder ( Espresso Zone - Zassenhaus 175M Turkish Coffee Grinder ) to grind the beans and then pour hot water through them in a coffee cone and filter into the cup to make the coffee. Low tech and great coffee; also easy to satisfy drinkers with diverse tastes.
sded is offline   Reply With Quote