Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 14:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Yet Another Coffee Thread

Anyone try one of these for brewing on board?
Are you happy with it?

Also, without getting too technical with the numbers, is an a electric drip maker really going to use that much power, if it's turned off right after brewing?

Most people seem to put that high on the list of electric toys you need to get rid of when moving aboard, but really they only take a few minutes to brew even a full pot, and most days, I'm really only going to be making 2-4 cups.

If I get one with a thermal carafe it can be turned off immediately after brewing.

And...PLEASE don't turn this into another thread of the many ways to brew coffee on a boat. I've read a lot of those threads and already seen all the suggestions. Just looking for an answer on these two things.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 04:46   #2

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
I hate to see a post go unanswered so heres a couple of reviews I found on it - Camping Product Reviews - 5008C700T Camping Coffeemaker - Powered by ReviewPost
I'm still digging to find how many watts it is, but I can only assume that if its designed for camping it will be pretty low...
Old 30-01-2009, 04:55   #3
Marine Service Provider

Captain Jaz...It's 0 watts! You put it on top of a burner to heat the water.

The only reason I'm still liking the electric is, some reviews have said it's kind of slow.
Old 30-01-2009, 05:05   #4

Ah right! lol...no wonder I couldn' find it!
Have you tried these - http://www.countychinashop.co.uk/csh...roductid=21695
You really can't beat the quality of the coffee you get from these type of things with some good ground espresso...
And I'm sure it could be made to stay in one place with a few adjustments at sea...
(Thats an expensive version btw, I just used it as an example, I have seen smaller, all stainless steel ones for cheaper...)
Old 30-01-2009, 06:07   #5

Boat: 2010 Leopard 38
For what it is worth, we have a 800 watt ac coffee maker (evil I know) that we run off of our 1000 watt inverter. To make 12 cups it normally consumes only about 10 amps (as measured by the link battery monitor) as it only runs for 10 minutes or so. It is the thermos type so there is no burner required to keep the coffee hot.

It doesn't heat up the galley, (stove top) it brews a pot under 45 minutes (most 12 volt pots) and it is relatively inexpensive since you can get one anywhere.

No doubt if you are short on power or recharging sources that it may not be for you, but for us it is worth the trade off.
RonRicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 08:52   #6

Boat: Privilege 39
We had one of those Coleman stovetop drip coffeemakers in our camper. Not only is it quite massive in size, but it didn't work very well for us - took about 45 minutes to make a pot. We switched to a french press.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 09:32   #7

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Whats wrong with the old percolator type that has been used since the beginning of time? Or for that matter the drip cone?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 09:48   #8

I'm with you on the percolators all the way Celestialsailor, the filters just don't make it strong enough for me....
Old 30-01-2009, 10:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
I keep buying cheap percolators, and losing parts. And the resulting coffee is always cloudy, and varies from acceptable to nasty. I'm beyond help with the losing-stuff-part, but would welcome suggestions. I've been off coffee for a couple of years but make it for my guests, who, apparently, will drink anything....
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:57   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
We like a good cup of coffee. Started with stainless stovetop percolator but have switched to stainless, insulated french press. It makes great coffee. Also, for those that haven't tried it yet. Try adding just a pinch of salt to the ground coffee before brewing.

Amazon.com: Frieling Stainless-Steel 35-Ounce French Press: Home & Garden

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 11:31   #11

The simplest way to make good coffee on a sailboat is a french press. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 11:43   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
3rd an insulated French Press. Make a pot in the morning that lasts me through lunch without reheating. Make it once and done for the day unless I really have a caffeine Jones. LED lighting, soundproof, Sailor's Solutions Inc.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 13:17   #13

I guess its a little easier for me, as I actually quite like cold coffee topped up with a bit of rum... mmm...
Old 30-01-2009, 15:18   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jaz View Post
I guess its a little easier for me, as I actually quite like cold coffee topped up with a bit of rum... mmm...

I am starting to get the idea you are willing to suffer most hardships if rum is involved.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 16:58   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
The simplest way to make good coffee on a sailboat is a french press. Bob
Sounds as though the french press will allow you to make your coffee stronger the with a drip brewer too.

Is that true?