Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 06:54   #31

Boat: contessa 32
TEA while underway (in bags) ,but use french press at anchor or if sea state allows.

The grounds are messy however and require lots of water to keep all tidy; my contessa 32 has low freeboard which allows for a neat solution,.....sorry about the pun.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 06:59   #32

Boat: contessa 32
Tea underway , but when seastate allows,a french press.Coffee grounds require lots of water to keep all tidy but my contessa 32 has low freeboard so I have an easy solution ...Sorry about the pun.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 07:21   #33

Do the people using a melita cone or french press use these while underway in a sea state ?

They are fine at anchor or in flat seas, but the pouring of near boiling water while rolling and pitching seems a safety risk. The perculator seems a safer way.
zydecotoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 07:44   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Ah What do the French know? The Cubans have the morning Joe down to an art form!

We use a stovetop espresso maker pictured below, bang out 2 loads and fill a small thermos. Then either a Bucci or Colada (straight up with some sugar....I like honey) or mix it with some frothy steamed milk for a Cafe con Leche. In Key West (and most of South Florida and Cuba) there are little coffee shops hawking the stuff on almost every corner.... We gringos call it "Cuban Speed"
Old 27-08-2010, 07:50   #35

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Just ahead of me - a stove top expresso maker, otherwise known as a moka pot. Very readily available in any supermarket in the Med and many in the UK. Just fill teh bottom half with water, put the coffee you like in the middle section, screw on the top and heat on the stove. No electricity, not major work, nice easy plug of coffee to dispose of. The heating steam creates the pressure.

we've tried the cones/filters and what you Americans call a French press, but find on board use, this is the best.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 07:59   #36

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Moka (coffee pot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia no competition to this little wonder, but it is not really the coffee maker as the coffee it self
DannySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 08:02   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannySt View Post
Moka (coffee pot) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia no competition to this little wonder, but it is not really the coffee maker as the coffee it self
True that! and here's the best (IMHO)
Old 27-08-2010, 08:12   #38

Boat: Tayana 37 "SAILACIOUS"
I have a french press / travel mug. I LOVE IT
Old 27-08-2010, 08:17   #39
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
my rig is sooo anti name brand--i have a nice plastic hand grinder and my melitta cones. yes they are ok in a passage--i hold mine so i WILL have my coffee. the way we did it on my near year in gulf--was perk--uses waay too much propane and is inefficient--too many grounds in the mix..still has to be filtered..is easier to just use the melitta cone in a seaway. even with the bouncing--pouring water into a cone is easier than holding a percolator on a hot stove in a seaway. where i keep my boat in so cal, there are many wakes simulating sea state--so i get lots of practice , even when i am at home.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 08:57   #40

Boat: Baba 35
I have had both French Press and Perculator underway.

I prefer the plug-in Percolator, but for silly reasons.
Mostly because when its being made I am usually charging things up, listening to wx, diddling around, hoping I can get some wifi, aka the morning routine. One less slot on the burner means a bigger breakfast too!

As for grounds. There is a fantastic portable burr hand-grinder that I found on sale at EMS years ago. It goes with me everywhere. I have been amazed at how poor the selection is for pre-ground coffee in the grocery store in places that have the most delicious whole beans that soil can produce in the world.

Lastly a gold filter in place of toss-aways makes better tasting coffee and less trash. I usually dry out the used grounds and save them for odor reduction scenarios, just make sure to label the can properly or you will really ruin your morning if a hangover is involved! Ha, been there done that.
Patient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 09:40   #41

Boat: Cabo Rico
This would be good to add as a poll.

Put me in the French Press camp. Our first one was glass and you can imagine how that ended. Now we have stainless steel. If you think about it, for the coffee to be in direct contact with the grinds for minutes at a time has to be the best way to get good tasting coffee.

I will say we have used coffe in teabags before and that works fine for a cup at a time, but it would not work well underway.
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2010, 09:58   #42

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
I just a standard old style blue enameled steel coffee pot. Throw in the coffee, add water, put 'er on the stove and when it starts boling, thrown in a little egg shell to settle the grounds, and after a bit you have coffee. Maybe one of these days I will get something a bit fancier, but this old pot has served me well on boat, camping, etc.
Old 27-08-2010, 11:01   #43

Boat: Schock 35
Our favorite is an Italian mocha pot that makes coffee that is very similar to expresso, but without the crema. Ikea sells two sizes that are very inexpensive and really work. Next favorite way is French Press which also works very well, but is messier to clean up as the spent coffee is a slurry in the bottom of the pot rather than a "puck" you can just knock out.

Whatever you choose be sure to stock up on lots of Cafe Ruiz and your crew will be happy!
Tom Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 07:45   #44

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Found a link to the coffee filters I use in my percolator:

I got a case from Fantes.com a few years ago - they may not be the best deal any longer.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 08:05   #45

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
French presses make too little coffee, put grounds in the coffee, and take too much water to clean.
Percolators take extra time and a lot of propane, and also put grounds in the coffee.
The singles aren't a bad idea, though a little more storage room and a little more money. I use them when camping.
The Admiral takes the filter system which uses a cone-shaped filter and makes the coffee directly into a large thermos. Then the coffee-drinkers drink it when they want. One can also pour it into a thermos, and then use the original pot and filter to start another batch, sometimes with the same pot of hot water. Fast, efficient, continuous, hot coffee for later, late risers, or those on watch, less cleanup, less propane. The Admiral is a smart cookie, but I try to keep that from her. ;-)
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote