Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2010, 08:58   #46

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
Anyone ever used one of the Keurig single cup coffee makers?

Yes, this is what we use, and love it. You have to have an inverter, and I think it draws 60 A for about a minute and a half or so.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 09:39   #47

Boat: Prout Manta 38
We had a small stainless steel french press, then we got a tip from a friend. If the french press is big enough, you can use the pre-measured coffee that comes in its own sealed filter. No fuss clean up, the grounds are always contained, and none get in the cup.

Not for purists, I guess, but I am more inclined to make coffee this way.

Carrie
Kimarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 09:53   #48

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
I drink a lot of coffee and have tried all the ways to make coffee, but I just didn't care for the French Press. The grind has to be on the course side or the finer coffee material will press through the filter, making the coffee to strong and acid for me. I like coffee run through a paper filter the best, but I think the old percolator coffee is the easiest to make.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 13:45   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Keurig-
Very nice, if you only drink a wee dram of coffee once or twice a week. Awfully inconvenient if you're used to starting the day with two MUGS of the stuff. Even worse if there's more than one of you look for mugs of the stuff.

Or do they make that in adult sizes yet? (VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 13:57   #50
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
We do an 8 cup percolator on the stove top in the morning and then fill a couple of thermoses...

It's nice during the day to be able to serve without hassling with brewing again.

Usually make a pot again at night.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 14:10   #51

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
I love coffee the way some people like wine. I drink far too much of the stuff and know geeky stuff like where coffee grows, what elevation and area and the influences on the taste of the beans. See- coffee Geek.

I love French Press coffee, but if you aren't a daily drinker the Starbuck's Via are pretty good. Expensive per cup, but if you don't drink coffee regularly its doable. My husband is a Brit and likes instant coffee. I used to find instant coffee completely undrinkable. Via is the first instant that I actually think is ok.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 16:22   #52
TEE

Having read all of the above, if you want good tasting coffee, you should boil water, put fresh ground coffee in a french press, and away you go. Alternatively, you can buy a platic funnel from Mellita Coffe with paper filters that makes great coffee, and allows a quick overboard clean up when finished. On the other hand, Starbuck Via is an instant coffee that is better than any instant coffee on the market, and drinkable, but not as good as Starbucks made from fresh grounds. Finally, there is a mechanical espresso maker that make palatable coffee and can be ordered on the Internet.
TEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 17:36   #53

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Keurig-
Very nice, if you only drink a wee dram of coffee once or twice a week. Awfully inconvenient if you're used to starting the day with two MUGS of the stuff. Even worse if there's more than one of you look for mugs of the stuff.

Or do they make that in adult sizes yet? (VBG)
Haha, I know where you're coming from, but now instead of having a big ol mug of coffee, I just have a bunch of smaller cups. No more coffee getting cold because you had to make 6 cups with the regular brewer. It doesn't take long at all to make another cup. Or, if you get the type with a resevoir you can just make 2 or 3 or 4 cups right in a row. It makes coffee really fast (about seconds a cup) as it preheats the water, but I'm guessing it is an energy hog and is too bulky for my boat anyway. Great for work, though now that I'm an office weenie and no longer work in the field.

They have some nice bold brews (I like Jet Fuel and Double Black Diamond), or you can just use your favorite blend with a reusable self-fill plug (cafe du monde= mmmm....).
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 18:23   #54

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Haha, I know where you're coming from, but now instead of having a big ol mug of coffee, I just have a bunch of smaller cups. No more coffee getting cold because you had to make 6 cups with the regular brewer. It doesn't take long at all to make another cup. Or, if you get the type with a resevoir you can just make 2 or 3 or 4 cups right in a row. It makes coffee really fast (about seconds a cup) as it preheats the water, but I'm guessing it is an energy hog and is too bulky for my boat anyway. Great for work, though now that I'm an office weenie and no longer work in the field.

They have some nice bold brews (I like Jet Fuel and Double Black Diamond), or you can just use your favorite blend with a reusable self-fill plug (cafe du monde= mmmm....).
We're anxiously awaiting Community Coffee KCups!
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:46   #55

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
No one mentioned the coleman automatic drip. Runs off your stove. Been using this one for about 6 years now. Makes the best drip coffee. VERY hot and tasty. Second to the french press no doubt. Had downsides though - big, glass caraffee, slow (20 minutes or so to make a pot). But good coffee, easy, simple.

If wife wants tea, I will make instant. No biggie..good enough. But when we want real coffee. This is the puppy we use!

phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:54   #56

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
@Phantomracer, I ALMOST went with the Coleman like yours but space is a huge issue on my boat.

I heard French presses made the best coffee, but it didn't make sense having to boil water in one pot, then pour it into the press.

I ended up spending $40 at REI for a very nice percolator. It's one item to carry, and I can use the pitcher for things other than just coffee.

For me, less is more.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:57   #57

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
@Phantomracer, I ALMOST went with the Coleman like yours but space is a huge issue on my boat.

I heard French presses made the best coffee, but it didn't make sense having to boil water in one pot, then pour it into the press.

I ended up spending $40 at REI for a very nice percolator. It's one item to carry, and I can use the pitcher for things other than just coffee.

For me, less is more.
yea the coleman is a space hog. Thank goodness we have an Ohlson 38. Insane amount of useable space on board. You could house a village of cambodians in it and have room to spare!

The french press does make, I think, the best coffee, but agree, its a bit of a PITA, and doesn't make the quantity we want (if it did, would be cold too fast).

I did find an instant coffee that is very decent. The Starbucks instant is outstanding, but too expensive to use everyday. I forgot what instant I have, but its more than acceptable for regular use when she wants tea.

Paul
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote