Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 05:49   #196

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Coffee maker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Oh, Prunella - I hadn't heard this one and googled it. Dr Weil is a well known health "expert" and what he did was look at deep/long/broad research that seemed to show that coffee consumption had little effect on cardiac morbidity.

Does Coffee Raise Cholesterol? - Ask Dr. Weil

Research such as the stuff posted above is what I refer to as "epidemic of the week" Great to read but of little true impact as the research mostly addresses issues in a vacuum but doesn't look at a long range picture. In fact, the US Fed Gov't recently revamped its guidelines on dietary cholesterol intake - basically saying that it ain't what you eat, it is more about your genetics.

The Way We Think About Cholesterol Could Soon Change

This change started to happen when doom was predicted after folks eschewed carbs and ate bacon, steak, eggs - etc (Atkins diet). There were dire predictions of a massive increase in folks dropping dead with a handful of fried chicken in their hands. When the predictions didn't come true, a review of decades of evidence seemed to reveal that eating foods high in saturated fat (stay AWAY from hydrogenated fats) isn't related to fatty vascular disease. More evidence is coming out that it has more to do with your genetics and inflammatory processes than it does to what you eat.

Use paper filters if you want. Just make sure it is recycled, uses no dyes or bleaches in the process, and dispose of properly so as to keep crud out of the environment.

For me, I'm going with the Mocha.

Bialetti Moka Express Moka Pot

Fair winds
The politics of food is well known in certain circles -- and the USDA dietary guidelines come from an organization that has its management roots and political appointments from Big Agriculture, not to mention PACs and funding of research by Big Agriculture. The meat and dairy industries are huge, and it would be naïve to think that they don't influence the "USDA dietary guidelines".

I'm not saying they won't find some science to back their recommendations, but that school lunch plate is not as healthy as it could be, and you'll find other well researched sources that will refute your assertion that: "the predictions didn't come true".

In fact, it has come true -- and if you believe red meats and high animal protein and fried food and rich processed food is healthy then you haven't looked at the epidemiological facts in Western society.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 07:23   #197

Boat: islandpacket

I just wanted some advice to make a good cup of coffee.
Old 16-03-2015, 07:42   #198

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I picked up a used weigh and bag machine for $300. Prior to that I had a small cup which the volume was 37 grams....and then put it into a foil bag and use a vacuum and heat sealer... still easy.

nothing industrial about the home method.

Nope. That's the opposite of industrial... Thanks for the info.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 14:23   #199

Quote:
If you want a good Coffee roaster... here is one that is amazing. From Taiwan.

Wow! That's amazing!

For the time being, I don't see myself roasting my own beans, but who knows. If you're investing the time, it's obviously worth the results.

Any suggestions for the best way to store beans or ground coffee? I really don't go through that much of it and I'm afraid I'm brewing stale coffee. Always looking for the best way to store it.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 16:02   #200
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Personally, I would find a local coffee roaster and buy the quantity that would last you no longer than 3 weeks. If you dont have a grinder ask him to grind it.
Keep it in the bag it came in and put it inside a tin with a lid.

Vacuum sealed coffee pots wont really help. Once its opened you are on a countdown.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 16:59   #201

Quote:
Personally, I would find a local coffee roaster and buy the quantity that would last you no longer than 3 weeks. If you dont have a grinder ask him to grind it.
Keep it in the bag it came in and put it inside a tin with a lid.

Vacuum sealed coffee pots wont really help. Once its opened you are on a countdown.
Would a ziplock baggie help any? I could squeeze excess air out.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 19:59   #202

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Would a ziplock baggie help any? I could squeeze excess air out.
Coffee is almost a religious thing for some people. Weavis might tell you that it won't help, but the next affionato would disagree. For me. I just kept trying stuff until it satisfied me.

Like I said, I used be all freaky about degassing (storing for 3 days before use), but now I don't bother. Geeze I've even made coffee while the beans were still warm from roasting. Does it taste different, yup, not bad just different.

I roast enough to last about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks and store the unground beans in a ziplock bag (it is unzipped for the first 3 days). I use the hand grinder I posted earlier (its $35 and is a ceramic bur grinder).

Its not right or wrong, but its what works for me.. I encourage you to find the process that works for you!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 04:27   #203
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm View Post

(if only it was so easy..)

Actually they all need the return of a good cup of tea , quite frankly

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-03-2015, 04:30   #204
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The politics of food is well known in certain circles -- and the USDA dietary guidelines come from an organization that has its management roots and political appointments from Big Agriculture, not to mention PACs and funding of research by Big Agriculture. The meat and dairy industries are huge, and it would be naïve to think that they don't influence the "USDA dietary guidelines".

I'm not saying they won't find some science to back their recommendations, but that school lunch plate is not as healthy as it could be, and you'll find other well researched sources that will refute your assertion that: "the predictions didn't come true".

In fact, it has come true -- and if you believe red meats and high animal protein and fried food and rich processed food is healthy then you haven't looked at the epidemiological facts in Western society.

That may be true , but we are all living too long for the pension industry to cope that's for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 17-03-2015, 04:58   #205
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Coffee is almost a religious thing for some people. Weavis might tell you that it won't help, but the next affionato would disagree. For me. I just kept trying stuff until it satisfied me.

Like I said, I used be all freaky about degassing (storing for 3 days before use), but now I don't bother. Geeze I've even made coffee while the beans were still warm from roasting. Does it taste different, yup, not bad just different.

I roast enough to last about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks and store the unground beans in a ziplock bag (it is unzipped for the first 3 days). I use the hand grinder I posted earlier (its $35 and is a ceramic bur grinder).

Its not right or wrong, but its what works for me.. I encourage you to find the process that works for you!
LOL. I degass simply because the oils need time to settle in order to let the FULL flavour of the coffee come to fruition. I have made coffee straight from the roaster, and whilst drinkable, its not reached its potential. Its not a religion to me, its a science. I dont like the taste of same day made coffee, and it is NEVER as good as when its matured and degassed, but that is up to the coffee drinker.

I also stated that vacuum sealed coffee pots will not keep the coffee much fresher than in the original bag, a ziplock bag will be ok but it wont retain the freshness much more than in the original bag simple because the berries will be degrading all the time. Its about the taste.

Supermarket bags are normally stocked with nitrogen flushed coffee. Some bags are months old and they state that they are good for a year or more. Well I dont know about that.

I do know that coffee roasted to my liking and stored correctly will last for a good filter for 14 days and will be great for espresso/con leche up to three weeks.

That is the take from a coffee geek who has no affinity with coffee snobbery.

Its down to good fresh coffee every time.

Old 17-03-2015, 14:01   #206

I'm not a geek yet, but I just got my grinder and Aero press. It came out a lot stronger than expected but a smooth cupa. Very impressed an happy. Coffee snobbery here I come
Old 17-03-2015, 14:05   #207
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
I'm not a geek yet, but I just got my grinder and Aero press. It came out a lot stronger than expected but a smooth cupa. Very impressed an happy. Coffee snobbery here I come
I split one press between two of us and add milk and hot water to taste.
Old 17-03-2015, 14:10   #208
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
You gotta make geek first before you graduate to snobbery.
Old 18-03-2015, 09:57   #209

Give me time!
Old 18-05-2015, 08:37   #210

Boat: 37C Hunter

I agree! Nothing beats a great cup of coffee first thing in the morning. It's one of the necessities we never do without. We'll even overstock on coffee beans just so we don't run out. We love our French press. After a year and a half we did break the glass and had to purchase a second one, but they are relatively inexpensive and don't take a up a lot of room.

Everyone has their favorite method though. . . We are on the hook so the French press works well for us.

Typing this while enjoying a fresh brewed cup on the deck.

Camile
s/v Obsession
St. John USVI
www.mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com
ObsessionSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote