Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 08:18   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 42
The Taleisin/Pardy lifestyle

I was reading the thread elsewhere on here about Taleisin being for sale for $175,000.

It occurred to me that they have a real problem, since the only people who would be interested in cruising Taleisin would be those who would want to live hair shirt lifestyles - no electricity and no engine, therefore no refrigeration, built-in GPS or any of the other things we pretty much take for granted on cruising boats today.

And those who wanted to live that lifestyle would do so for the same reason the Pardeys did - in defense of their cruising kitties. So it would seem absurd for someone to spend $175k on Taleisin and then cruise as they did. The person spending $175k on a boat wants something more like a Hans Christian 43 with generator, air conditioning, large size for luxury berths, etc, etc. (Fin Keel fans, feel free to substitute a Santa Cruz 50 or similar - the idea is that you still would get a luxury equipped boat.)

I've read a lot of the Pardeys' books over the years, enjoy their writing, and wish them well for a hearty profit in anything they do - but I'm curious as to whether anyone here would want to live their cruising lifestyle.

That is, let's pretend the price of Taleisin was within your budget, and the only constraint was that you could not install an engine in her. In other words, you would have to cruise basically as Lin and Larry have. Would you want to take her, as opposed to a boat priced the same, but with a modern setup and all the conveniences of civilized life? Assume the competing boat was of whatever size and design you find most attractive, and pretend Taleisin could be yours for the same amount.

David

PS I missed it on the thread, could some kind soul send a link to the Taleisin listing? Would love to ogle the pictures, etc., and I would think other people interested in this thread might like to see it.

PPS For what it's worth, I don't think Lin and Larry really want to sell, and that's OK; I know I wouldn't, either.
David Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 08:25   #2

Re: The Taleisin/Pardy lifestyle

I think you have a very good point, seems logical to me.

However, a lot of people do things that defy logic, just because they want to. Some guy might buy that boat at that price just to add to his collection and never sail it.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 08:26   #3

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
I was reading the thread elsewhere on here about Taleisin being for sale for $175,000.

It occurred to me that they have a real problem, since the only people who would be interested in cruising Taleisin would be those who would want to live hair shirt lifestyles - no electricity and no engine, therefore no refrigeration, built-in.................
Maybe the person who buys Taleisin does not want to go cruising.

Maybe they would just want to have a cool sailboat.

Edit: socaldmax beat me to it.

Steve
Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 08:37   #4

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Unlike cars, where people can spend $million on rare cars to put into a collection, and never drive them, or even airplanes that take up a lot of space in a hanger, a wood boat needs constant attention to not rot into worthlessness. These collections tend to be justified as investments, and for rare cars, they certainly can appreciate substantially, but hard to see that being the case with a wood boat that deteriorates over time.
Old 18-05-2014, 09:04   #5
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

http://yachtpals.com/taleisin

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983...09/New-Zealand
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 09:12   #6

Well... it is the triple whammy I suppose; wooden boat, no engine and the other things mentioned. They need a buyer who wants wooden boat and something special. She'd be beautiful sitting on a mooring in front of a waterfront beach home in Maine for instance!
Probably the same buyer who would spend 500-600k for one of those powerboat "picnic boats".

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 09:13   #7
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Just to give you some perspective of the insanity of Bristol Channel Cutter prices.

2003 Bristol Channel Cutter 28 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1991 Bristol Channel Cutter Sam L. Morse Sail Boat For Sale -

and these are plastic and composite.

Notice theirs is wood plank and cost something like 38K to build in materials.

EDIT: I can never understand why the BCC are always priced so high when I look at them for sale on YW
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 09:20   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
PPS For what it's worth, I don't think Lin and Larry really want to sell, and that's OK; I know I wouldn't, either.
Many people over value their loved possessions. Unless some museum kinda guy buys it i think you will find the price slowly comes down over the next few years till its a hideous joke amongst cruisers. No one wanting to buy because its been at brokerage too long, owners till holding out for pride alone.

We have all seen it a million times in real estate, cars and boats. A boat is only worth what you get at an auction now (with some advertising).

I am sorry for the Pardys, but its an extremely remote chance for someone to want to cruise it, so that leaves someone from New Zealand to buy it, or someone willing to pay andother $25,000 to $50,000 to ship it somewhere.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 09:33   #9

Thanks for all the responses, everyone . Looks like the consensus opinion hasn't strayed far from my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
Unlike cars, where people can spend $million on rare cars to put into a collection, and never drive them, or even airplanes that take up a lot of space in a hanger, a wood boat needs constant attention to not rot into worthlessness. These collections tend to be justified as investments, and for rare cars, they certainly can appreciate substantially, but hard to see that being the case with a wood boat that deteriorates over time.
This is precisely why I am a bit surprised that they are even contemplating selling her. If they did sell her for anywhere near that asking price, I'm sure it would be to a collector of some kind.

Actually, if my memory serves, they said they wanted to sell her to a fellow cruiser who would take her out, since their motivation for selling is that they are not using her as much as she needs to be ... my point is that this is likely to be extremely difficult, and it looks like the consensus agrees with me.

Saltymonkey: Thanks for the links

Cheech: The fact that the legendary sailboat builders of the Hinckley Company are mostly making those picnic boats seems to say something about the relative demand for power vs sail. Even though I am a power boater at heart, I find this a little sad.

I spent a couple of summers near the Hinckley factory and would visit there until they threw me out. I think most Picnic Boat buyers buy them because they are fast, beautiful and require virtually no skill to control (with the cool joystick controllers and the jet drives). So I doubt there is a market for Taleisin among them ...

For what it's worth, if you are a cruiser and want to cruise in exactly their style, I recommend you make them an offer, because I think they really want their boat to have a continued cruising life instead of sitting in a museum. The right story might give you a surprisingly decent price, I suspect.

But if you want to add an engine, you are unlikely to get far ...

David
Old 18-05-2014, 09:36   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

I see no advantages to living uncomfortably or less safely unless you cannot afford to do so. I see nothing noble or macho about it.

I very much admire the Pardey's for what they have accomplished and their business success. As fellow members of this forum, I appreciate all of their wonderful posts which have helped the members here numerous times. I wish them all the best.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 09:43   #11

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I see no advantages to living uncomfortably or less safely unless you cannot afford to do so. I see nothing noble or macho about it.
Agree, and as I've said before, not having an engine is just foolish and taking unneccesary risk.

Maybe what the Pardey's should do is rent out their boat at a high price and people can use it for a while and get to say they experienced the old-timey
salty sailor life..for a short time. This might have some traction.

This way they can generate a lot more income and let a LOT more people experience the minimal cruiser style, and after years of doing this, the boat might get a sale from one of the many customers, who might just carry on the rental program.
Old 18-05-2014, 09:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Just to give you some perspective of the insanity of Bristol Channel Cutter prices.

2003 Bristol Channel Cutter 28 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

1991 Bristol Channel Cutter Sam L. Morse Sail Boat For Sale -

and these are plastic and composite.

Notice theirs is wood plank and cost something like 38K to build in materials.

EDIT: I can never understand why the BCC are always priced so high when I look at them for sale on YW
They are also almost brand new - the $149k one is a 1991 model.

I can't help but chuckle at the existence of not only an engine, but a sophisticated electronics setup including a modern chart plotter.

That being said, the value of BCCs is obviously the inspiration for their $175k price. Maybe it's not as outlandish as we think, because that $149k BCC is under contract.

I wonder what type of person pays that kind of money for BCCs. I really like the design, but like you it seems really overpriced compared to, say, the 40' Hans Christian I've already mentioned.

Still - again - we are stuck with the fact that the BCCs have modern equipment and I don't think any of the buyers would want to throw away their engines or electronics in exchange for tradition and heritage, which they already have aplenty in the fiberglass BCC.

David
Old 18-05-2014, 10:13   #13

Isn't she built out of teak? Perhaps some eccentric artist could buy her, tear her down and build elaborate yard furniture out of it and then turn a profit.

Solves all the problems. :P
Old 18-05-2014, 10:36   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Exactly. If one has the cruising bug and no money but has the desire and skill to do so, then to paraphrase, go small, simple and cheap. Otherwise, why choose the bare bones, no comforts style? I wonder how many of those that espouse that cruising lifestyle live that way at home? I would bet 99.9% of them have electric lights, running water (both hot and cold), stoves and even refrigerators.

Quote:
I very much admire the Pardey's for what they have accomplished and their business success. As fellow members of this forum, I appreciate all of their wonderful posts which have helped the members here numerous times. I wish them all the best.
Absolutely. It is obvious they are highly skilled sailors and their contributions are undeniable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 11:25   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
You're absolutely right, but someone did post in a thread that they'd love to buy a particular multihull to add to his collection (or was it museum?) At any rate, people do strange things, including collect stuff that requires a lot of maintenance.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote