Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2014, 12:05   #16

Re: The Taleisin/Pardy lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dennis View Post
Thanks for all the responses, everyone . Looks like the consensus opinion hasn't strayed far from my own.
Not necessarily. Only from the few who have replied to your OP.

When I'm out cruising, albeit locally, I rarely have internet connection. It could well be that folks who are interested in that boat or type of vessel may (I say MAY) not be connected, nor even want to bother, and, if they did, may simply not be on this forum. Kinda early to make thast kind of pronouncement.

And it's a different lifestyle, NOT "living uncomfortably or less safely" --- if you're out on the ocean, most of you are not using your engines anyway. In all their travels, they'd made clear to me that they are exceptional seamen, and very careful sailors.

What's wrong with that? Different, not wrong. Heck, if my sailing constraints of time, and place and berth and routes to get to sailing territory were different, the engine I have would be less of a necessity and more of a choice. Same is true of refrigeration, powered hot & cold water, etc.

Don't knock it just 'cuz it's different than what you do.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 16:57   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8

There's no reason why a buyer couldn't upgrade Taleisin to add modern electronics and conveniences (e.g. refrigeration), along with a solar panel or two and a wind generator. There's a lot of volume in that hull. It's also fairly simple to add a motor mount to the stern for an outboard.

The asking price is high, but those Lyle Hess designs are sweet sailing boats. Not fast, but comfortable and seaworthy.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:03   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Taleisin/Pardy lifestyle

True.. when you think about it.. you could buy a 10yr old 38ft cat for that and have to upgrade all the electrics.. but you would save on the OB and mount..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 17:10   #19
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
There's no reason why a buyer couldn't upgrade Taleisin to add modern electronics and conveniences (e.g. refrigeration), along with a solar panel or two and a wind generator. There's a lot of volume in that hull. It's also fairly simple to add a motor mount to the stern for an outboard.

The asking price is high, but those Lyle Hess designs are sweet sailing boats. Not fast, but comfortable and seaworthy.
I don't think you can add an engine at all. Not inside as the keel rudder config wont allow it. And not on the stern as its a counter hung rudder.

As for electrics on board... Solar may well destroy the lines after paying 175k for nothing else.
Finally theres no toilet or shower on board. Ask your wife if she wants to do it in a bucket and then shower the same way?

Finally, look at the first leg out of there.... NZ to where? No route from there is easy.

Its a tough call. There might be too few who wish to sail so frugally after spending so much.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 19:51   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Mark,

Bay of Islands to mid to north Qld shouldn't be a bad run.

Ann
Old 18-05-2014, 20:25   #21

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I find the title to this post interesting because in the Pardy's biography, As Long As Its Fun by Herb McCormick, Lynn and Larry specifically say that cruising is not a lifestyle but rather a sport. I disagree with that statement and I personally prefer cruising with many of the modern conveniences that they eschew. Still, I think their books and high profile encouraged many to cast off the dock lines. I having nothing but the highest respect for them and hope they get every penny they're asking for Taleisin.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 12:44   #22

Boat: Grand Banks 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Not necessarily. Only from the few who have replied to your OP.

When I'm out cruising, albeit locally, I rarely have internet connection. It could well be that folks who are interested in that boat or type of vessel may (I say MAY) not be connected, nor even want to bother, and, if they did, may simply not be on this forum. Kinda early to make thast kind of pronouncement.

And it's a different lifestyle, NOT "living uncomfortably or less safely" --- if you're out on the ocean, most of you are not using your engines anyway. In all their travels, they'd made clear to me that they are exceptional seamen, and very careful sailors.

What's wrong with that? Different, not wrong. Heck, if my sailing constraints of time, and place and berth and routes to get to sailing territory were different, the engine I have would be less of a necessity and more of a choice. Same is true of refrigeration, powered hot & cold water, etc.

Don't knock it just 'cuz it's different than what you do.
You are correct, of course, that any Pardey-style cruisers are highly unlikely to have Internet access on their boats, and so it's possible that they are likely to be under represented here.

It seems reasonable, then, to note that of all the listings I have read in Yachtworld over the years, I don't think I have found any cruiser-class sailboat listings, other than Taleisin, that do not include some sort of engine. I do not think there are any sailboat manufacturers, either today or in the last 30 years or so, that make a cruiser-class sailboat (say about 25' plus with sleeping and navigational accommodations) that does not include an engine of some sort. So it is very difficult to come to any conclusion other than the thought that cruising without an engine is extremely uncommon.

I hope it's clear that my intention was not to put down any particular type of cruising. My purpose was to point out that the kind of person who is willing to sacrifice convenience and cruise the Pardey way is vanishingly rare.

Like everyone else, I admire the Pardeys a great deal, and admire anyone else who is willing to be austere in their cruising style. It's not for me, personally - in fact, my basic philosophy is pretty much the opposite, as my choice of boat indicates - but my intention was to start a reflection on our society and its values, not as a criticism of anyone or any way of cruising.

Thanks again to everyone who has responded; I've enjoyed reading the posts.

David
David Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 13:23   #23

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

There is something about a wood boat, particularly a famous one that is particularly appealing to some people. Engine or not someone will fall in love and grab her up. Not me I'm taken.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 14:07   #24
cruiser

I don't think anyone is going to buy her to save money.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 14:26   #25

Speaking of Lin and Larry Pardy biographies. I thoroughly enjoyed Lin Pardy's book BULL CANYON about the time they spent building Taleisin. I was sorry to finish it. I was wondering if anybody had read it and also AS LONG AS IT'S FUN the biography written by one of their editors about them. Would it be a waste of time to read it after having read BULL CANYON as it would rehash a lot of the same material.
Old 19-05-2014, 14:36   #26

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Finally theres no toilet or shower on board. Ask your wife if she wants to do it in a bucket and then shower the same way?

As I recall, they have full size sitting bath. Instead of engine. Why would anyone need engine if they cruise full time?
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 14:40   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
The Taleisin/Pardy lifestyle

What a beautiful boat with a beautiful history! The Pardy's have contributed immensely to the literature of cruising and inspired many people to sail. Not the right boat for me though. I love wood boats but even a little teak trim on the exterior is too much work for me.

I remember reading an article about Taleisin meeting up with her little sister, the Pardy's first smaller engineless boat in the Chesapeake Bay. If I recall correctly, the new owners were enjoying her without an engine. I hope the right special buyer will be found for Taleisin who will love her and take care of her too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 14:42   #28
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Speaking of Lin and Larry Pardy biographies. I thoroughly enjoyed Lin Pardy's book BULL CANYON about the time they spent building Taleisin. I was sorry to finish it. I was wondering if anybody had read it and also AS LONG AS IT'S FUN the biography written by one of their editors about them. Would it be a waste of time to read it after having read BULL CANYON as it would rehash a lot of the same material.
Definitely read "As Long as It's Fun". There's no re-hashing of what you read in "Bull Canyon". It gives you an entirely different perspective on the Pardys.
Old 19-05-2014, 17:25   #29

Boat: Grand Banks 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I have not (yet) read Bull Canyon. I have read As Long as It's Fun, and it was quite interesting. It covers their entire cruising career from start to finish, so I would say it would not be redundant compared to Bull Canyon. However, I had just read Cruising in Seraffyn and that made it obvious that at least ALAIF's early chapters were rehashes of the Pardey's own works, with some additional information added. If you haven't read their books in a while you will probably enjoy the overview it gives you. And if you are a big fan, there is additional information not included in their books.
David Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 18:47   #30

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Somebody will buy it. I've got my preferences too, just like most people here.

If it is that hard to believe that there are those out there with a similar intersts to the Pardey's, then your imagination needs some exercise.....

Not my kind of thing but looks like a really sweet boat. Built with the best woods I would think, not just species-wise but the best teak and locust, and lots of lead.

With unlimited funds, a catamaran is mighty seductive. The teenagers, and all the boyfriends, girlfriends and buddies would have a blast. Like a floating beach house w passagemaking potential. Ya I'll stick with what I've got
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote