Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 17:47   #46

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat
Re: Seattle to Portland Oregon in January

My wife will not join me on coastal races or cruises off the Washington/Oregon coasts. When she was young, her dad's small fishing boat capsized at the entrance to Nehalem Bay on what HAD been a decent day until rough weather came in quickly. 2 brothers and her dad survived, but were washed ashore and saved by onlookers. CG spent the night with small boats rafted to them because the bar remained closed. I've sailed those coasts numerous times in 2 different 30'ers, but never took those coasts and bars for granted. Best to play safe. Worst I've seen is 40 knots in a race to Victoria in 2014. We were safe enough, but I've decided to hang up that stuff and let the young guys do it....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 18:06   #47

Boat: Hunter 386

One of the most sobering things when we harbour hopped down the west coast a couple of years back was the fishermen's memorials in each and every town, all with a long list of names.
Old 09-01-2019, 19:31   #48

Certainly no place to take chances. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. We’ll be waiting till May-June to take the run back to Oregon.

I am not new to sailing but have very little ocean sailing experience. I’d like my first trip down the coast experience in our new boat to be a good one.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 21:47   #49

There are often a few sailboats coming down from Seattle and Victoria to take part in the Oregon Offshore Race. Usually over the 2nd weekend in May. They will be fast boats, though, but finding a boat or two to come along with can be prudent. Some of the Oregon boats will be coming back home later, but often after the Swiftsure Race that is always over the weekend that includes Mother's Day. You could likely find company then. The Oregon Offshore has a website, operated through the Corinthian Yacht Club of Portland. They list participants. Just a thought....
Old 10-01-2019, 08:45   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
There are often a few sailboats coming down from Seattle and Victoria to take part in the Oregon Offshore Race. Usually over the 2nd weekend in May. They will be fast boats, though, but finding a boat or two to come along with can be prudent. Some of the Oregon boats will be coming back home later, but often after the Swiftsure Race that is always over the weekend that includes Mother's Day. You could likely find company then. The Oregon Offshore has a website, operated through the Corinthian Yacht Club of Portland. They list participants. Just a thought....
That an excellent thought. Thanks. I’ll try to do exactly that!
Old 30-04-2019, 19:58   #51

Just wanted to update those that contributed to this thread. I’m headed out on the 24th of May. Any final words of advice? Really nervous about timing our bar crossing on the Columbia. Pretty confident in the boat at this stage. Very glad we waited and took the time to familiarize ourselves with the boat. She’s a solid little ship.
Old 30-04-2019, 20:13   #52

Why not now? Forecast is NW 5-15 kts all the way through at least Saturday...
BambooSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 22:29   #53

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Take MANY fuel filters! Rolling around on the open ocean will stir up dirt and water you never knew you had - and the last thing you want/need is to have your engine quit crossing the Columbia bar - or anywhere else for that matter!

Take care, be safe, and have fun!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 22:41   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
.....................Any final words of advice? Really nervous about timing our bar crossing on the Columbia. ...................

Thx for getting back to us. Congratulations.

Columbia Bar? Unless it's been raining non-stop upriver AND the snow's melting big time, all you need is a good watch to know what time it is and get there at the right time. Don't f-cking cut the corner coming from the north.

I had to hang out for almost three hours after a predicted flood was overcome by upstream heavy precipitation. A later flood coming in isn't as bad, 'cuz when you're leaving, there's not much time left to go N or S to the next refuge if you get delayed leaving.

Ilwaco is kinda cute.

Count your blessings.

Safe journey, sounds like you did the right thing(s).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43   #55

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

So far the run-off on the Columbia hasn't been too bad but it will still be going on in mid-May. Just plan on fighting a strong head current all the way to Portland, and do watch out for debris like branches, logs, and even whole trees. Once in the river have an anchor ready to go on very short notice just in case a semi-submerged log takes out your prop or shaft (not kidding: not likely but it happens).

Fair winds,

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:37   #56

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

You got good advice as I recall and wisely took it. Good for you. I wonder if there is a web cam of the bar that would be available to you when you arrive off the river mouth?
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27   #57

Boat: Norseman 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by scareygary View Post
NEVER plan to cross the bar on an Ebb tide. The best, by far, imho, is to catch the slack just before it starts incoming up the river.
We both agree with this - low-slack if inbound. We arrived at the Columbia Bar (after 35+ exhausting hours at sea) around 7:30 am and didn't time our entry right. We were just BARELY ahead of the ebb (ocean water coming into the river). When the ocean swell meets the strong spring river current, it produces significant breaking waves. We were literally trying to outrun the waves breaking behind out boat - all the while making 1 to 1.5 kts SOG.

Figure out when slack tide is, then work your schedule backward based on your estimated boat speed to calculate your departure time. It would be better to arrive early and wait outside the bar if needed.

https://www.tide-forecast.com/locati...n/tides/latest

Of course, video doesn't quite capture wave height.

That said, we have crossed it half a dozen times where it felt like a lake in either direction.

You will likely be motoring or at least motor-sailing most of the way. It will make the boat more stable if you keep the main sail up (reefed accordingly) the entire trip. Even if there is no wind (doubtful) or it's right on the nose, it really helps to stabilize the boat.

Best of luck mate. Safe sailing.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:34   #58

Boat: Norseman 400

The first few minutes of this is going outbound across the bar. This is attempt two. The first day, there was a small craft advisory, it was rough as sh*t, so we turned back. The worst thing a sailor can have is a schedule.

Notice the boat ahead of us in the distance. They were a full keeled boat and couldn't turn south without putting the port rail in the water due to the strong incoming current. If memory serves, they went out about 20 nm before they could turn south comfortably. This was August 20, 2015.

Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56   #59

"We both agree with this - low-slack if inbound. We arrived at the Columbia Bar (after 35+ exhausting hours at sea) around 7:30 am and didn't time our entry right. We were just BARELY ahead of the ebb (ocean water coming into the river). When the ocean swell meets the strong spring river current, it produces significant breaking waves. We were literally trying to outrun the waves breaking behind out boat - all the while making 1 to 1.5 kts SOG." Yes, after returning to Portland from Newport years ago after an ocean race, we arrived at the bar too early. After doing circles for an hour our two, I got impatient and started over the bar at the end of an ebb, in a Tartan 30 sailboat with a single cylinder diesel. While close to the N. Jetty, we found ourselves in huge breaking seas, unable to make ANY progress up river, and could not safely turn around. For an hour or two, I just prayed the diesel wouldn't fail as there was no significant wind at all. I wanted to be anywhere but there...... After the tide change, we ripped upriver, passing Astoria at about 10 knots SOG....
Old 01-05-2019, 10:50   #60

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
Just wanted to update those that contributed to this thread. I’m headed out on the 24th of May. Any final words of advice? Really nervous about timing our bar crossing on the Columbia. Pretty confident in the boat at this stage. Very glad we waited and took the time to familiarize ourselves with the boat. She’s a solid little ship.
I would state that a little differently. On May 24th I will start looking for a weather window to head south. Hard schedules are not conducive with safe sailing.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, portland, seattle