Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 09:56   #31

Re: Seattle to Portland Oregon in January

Looks like lots of good advice here. Much appreciated gents.

I am going to opt for the “visitor” route and try to stretch it out as long as possible. I certainly need more time to familiarize myself with the boat as well. A rushed trip down the coast in an unfamiliar boat just isn’t my idea of fun or safe, especially with my limited experience in the area.

Can anyone refer me to an official site with the rules for staying as a visitor in Washington to avoid paying the sales tax? I’ve searched and so far came up with nothing useful. Also, If I go to Canada how long would I need to stay before I can return to Washington again? I see someone had mentioned I may not be able to return for a certain period of time if I opt for an extension?

Thanks again for all the great responses here!
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 10:49   #32

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post

I am going to opt for the “visitor” route and try to stretch it out as long as possible. I certainly need more time to familiarize myself with the boat as well. A rushed trip down the coast in an unfamiliar boat just isn’t my idea of fun or safe, especially with my limited experience in the area.

Can anyone refer me to an official site with the rules for staying as a visitor in Washington to avoid paying the sales tax? I’ve searched and so far came up with nothing useful. Also, If I go to Canada how long would I need to stay before I can return to Washington again? I see someone had mentioned I may not be able to return for a certain period of time if I opt for an extension?

Docrn,

A quick online search ["Washington State cruising permit"] yielded the WA Dept of Revenue document: Purchase and use of vessels by nonresidents

It appears to have most of the same options as I remembered from 2014. [See my earlier post in this thread for a brief outline.]

I hope one of the options they provide suits your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Old 17-12-2018, 17:50   #33

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Where do you want the wreath sending? I have done commercial winter deliveries with experienced professional crew so if you have that level of experience and a boat that would be OK riding out a 50kn storm for a few days it is possible. Unless the alternative is something on the lines of 'I will loose the boat' I would say wait till May.

PS I live in Port Renfrew, we just had a 12hr power outage because of all the trees blown down this weekend and it's not even really winter yet
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2018, 10:27   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Docrn,

A quick online search ["Washington State cruising permit"] yielded the WA Dept of Revenue document: Purchase and use of vessels by nonresidents

It appears to have most of the same options as I remembered from 2014. [See my earlier post in this thread for a brief outline.]

I hope one of the options they provide suits your needs.

Cheers! Bill
Thanks Bill! We are definitely going to wait till spring to make the run. I appreciate the link.
It’s interesting that there is no info on how long you have to leave the state (maybe a weekend trip to Canada?) to avoid the taxes. Maybe I’m not understanding how it works. I tried to call and get some sort of clarification on that but no one answers and the call drops.
In any case I was told by our broker there is a lawyer that can handle all the paperwork and navigate the beurocracy for me. I may consider it.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 08:53   #35

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter

I sailed from Anacortes to Columbia River in October in my 29' sailboat. Not the same weather as January, but still challenging. You are not likely to be able to make the trip during daylight only so my advice is to Leave Neah Bay in the dark so you don have to cross the Columbia Bar in the dark. I did cross at night and would never do it again under any circumstances!
I would say that WHENEVER you decide to go pay close attention to the west swells, but particularly the period. 6 - 8' swells are common. Don't go out unless the swell period is greater than the wave height by at least a couple of seconds. 8' swells on a 5 second period is another name for an almost vertical wall of water.
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 09:12   #36

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

And timing of crossing the Columbia River bar is also critical which means that time of arrival matters. Attempting a bar crossing in winter conditions on an ebbing tide is definitely not advised.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 09:42   #37

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

Since you'll no doubt be motoring, and much of it is in the dark, I highly recommend getting the coordinates of the Crab Pot free zone that runs up and down the coast. Might also be called the Tow Zone or similar. I wish I had the link right now, but you can find it, I'm sure. Sea Grant is behind that, if memory serves. . You'd have a mile or so wide lane to travel that would keep you out of the snarl of crab pots and lines that can really foul up your trip! You'll have to dodge a tow or two, but you can SEE them coming! My advice. And NEVER plan to cross the bar on an Ebb tide. The best, by far, imho, is to catch the slack just before it starts incoming up the river. You'll be in Astoria in no time. I'm no expert, but have crossed the bar a number of times, mostly May and June, in sailboats almost exclusively. It's not as bad as they often say, but you need to be prudent.....
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:48   #38

Boat: J/42

Three (pros) dead trying to get into Newport in January.
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...gon-coast.html
Actually it doesn't say whether they were trying to get in or get out, but I assume...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:26   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
Three (pros) dead trying to get into Newport in January.
Actually it doesn't say whether they were trying to get in or get out, but I assume...
The boat came ashore North of the North Jetty at Newport so it appears they were trying to come in. Two of those three (pros) were from New Jersey so winter bar conditions on the Oregon Coast may have been somewhat new to them. Winter storms around here are a bad time to be at sea in small boats.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:36   #40

Boat: J/42

We can only speculate from the info in the nooze story. Wind and waves were moving North last night. But it could be. I well remember a big freighter that ended up on the North Jetty in the 80's. A week later, there was nothing left to see.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
We can only speculate from the info in the nooze story.
There is a fair amount of information out there.

Crab boat capsizes while entering Yaquina Bay jaws. All 3 crewmen perish. – News Lincoln County

https://oregoncoastdailynews.com/201...quina-bay-bar/
Old 09-01-2019, 14:52   #42

Very sad
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 15:02   #43

Boat: 29' Gaff Cutter

I came into Yaquina Bay last September in the dark. We had mis-timed the arrival and got there after dark in building seas. Our choice was to stay out all night and take a beating, or to enter in the dark. I can remember hearing waves breaking on our port side as we hugged the opposite breakwater/jetty. Hard to imagine what the fear level would have been for those poor souls in 15-20' waves.
richbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 15:15   #44

Boat: Outbound 44

It is interesting that the Coast Guard vessel was on station apperently standing by while they entered. The crab boats off Oregon are not that big a boats. Not like the Bering Sea ones.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 15:22   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post

In many states you can store on the hard without a tax problem. Not sure in WA.
This is not a time of year I would make that trip.
My step brother fished that coast. He quit when they were rolled one winter. Boat lost, 2 dead and he survived. About all he remembers is being under the boat as it rolled and the big prop churning nearby him before he got clear. Rough day, but normal rough, ......then a rogue wave.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oregon, portland, seattle