Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2020, 08:23   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Jupiter Inlet (FL) local knowledge.

Quick update, since I started this thread. Three weeks ago we moved our boat from Hollywood to Soverel Harbour Marina. Since we could not get under the Blue Heron bridge, we went north towards the Jupiter Inlet. The weather forecast was for flat seas in the early morning, which coincided with high tide. We made excellent time, such that we were off the Inlet at 2am instead of 8am, but the swells were 3-6ft, and the last thing I wanted was to come down a swell only to plant the keel in a sandbar. So we keep going to the St Lucie Inlet, slowing them boat down so we could go through in daylight. We went in very cautiously, with a forward scan sonar showing us the way. Then turned south on the ICW and made our way to the marina. We only ever touch bottom in the ICW, just two or three soft little bumps in mud.

I might consider trying the Jupiter Inlet at high tide on a flat calm day, with someone local aboard to provide some guidance. But not on any kind of regular basis...
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 14:52   #32

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Bumping this to the top, anyone been through? We draw 7'
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:32   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
Bumping this to the top, anyone been through? We draw 7'
7ft is deep for the Jupiter Inlet, I would not try it. But, with your draft, both water draft and air draft, you can come in the Lake Worth/Port of Palm Beach inlet, and head north under the Blue Heron bridge without any issues. There are four bascule bridges between the Lake Worth and Jupiter inlets, and the ICW there is pretty easy to navigate. I live aboard my Catalina 470 between the two inlets, but due to my air draft of 68ft, and water draft of 7'10", I have to go all the way up to the St Lucie inlet to safely get out to the ocean.

I see you have a 1982 Beneteau First 42. I love that boat, used to race on one out of East Greenwich, RI about 30 years ago, boat named "Panama Red". Good times with great people, they too are sadly no longer with us.

If you're staying in the area, drop me a PM and we can get together and share sailing stories over a beer, or other beverage of your choice.

Regards,
David.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 05:09   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

The is a copy and paste from my previous posting on the Jupiter Inlet from June 2020...

"Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good. My wife and I just returned from Tequesta via the Jupiter Inlet. The weather conditions could be described as a "Chamber of Commerce" day. Upon entry, we had zero issues, although I could "feel" that we were in skinny waters.

Three days later, we departed about 1.5 hours before low tide. In the channel about 100 yards from the jetty we "touched" bottom. We draw 4'10". We continued outbound and turned north as we cleared the jetty, expecting to reach deeper waters. No bananas. We encountered shoaling, stopping us, having to back off, eventually turning around and continuing north. A second soft grounding was averted, and we eventually found our way to deeper waters. I highly doubt that I will EVER try to navigate the Jupiter Inlet again."
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 06:17   #35

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
7ft is deep for the Jupiter Inlet, I would not try it. But, with your draft, both water draft and air draft, you can come in the Lake Worth/Port of Palm Beach inlet, and head north under the Blue Heron bridge without any issues. There are four bascule bridges between the Lake Worth and Jupiter inlets, and the ICW there is pretty easy to navigate. I live aboard my Catalina 470 between the two inlets, but due to my air draft of 68ft, and water draft of 7'10", I have to go all the way up to the St Lucie inlet to safely get out to the ocean.

I see you have a 1982 Beneteau First 42. I love that boat, used to race on one out of East Greenwich, RI about 30 years ago, boat named "Panama Red". Good times with great people, they too are sadly no longer with us.

If you're staying in the area, drop me a PM and we can get together and share sailing stories over a beer, or other beverage of your choice.

Regards,
David.

Thank you. It's really an awesome boat and I would love to find a way to keep it. Looks like I found a temporary solution at Jupiter Yacht Club (hence me asking if Jupiter was passable on nice days) but I'm not sure what will happen once that lease runs out. Lake worth it is!
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal