Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2021, 09:16   #1

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Seacor Power Capsize

I ask all forum members to pray in which ever manner they choose for the lives of the crew of the Liftboat Seacor Power which capsized in Louisiana.
I’ve delivered two 200 foot class lift boats. The Seacor is larger and there is hope for survivors because the design of the vessel includes watertight compartments.
There are two seperate engine rooms. The crew and bridge level is the uppermost deck and has watertight exterior doors. This is a huge vessel and the crews are very experienced. Let us hope their families will be reunited.
The people who work the oil field and the families ashore are some of the kindest people my wife and I have ever known.
Pray also for those who will risk all in the rescue.
Captain Mark Silva
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 10:58   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Seacor Power Capsize

Coast Guard certainly seems to be doing everything they can. Your info on the watertight spaces provides more detail than the NYT did this morning. Hope the weather improves so they can go more quickly.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 16:39   #3

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Seacor Power Capsize

The engine rooms are below the work deck and are totally isolated. The deck level is the galley, eating area, laundry and bosun locker. Next deck is sleeping quarters and day room for the work crew...not the boat crew. The top most deck is the bridge and sleeping quarters for the crew running the boat.
If the lift boat has the legs up for travel, the boat crew is usually all on the uppermost deck. There is a check list about closing off sections of the boat and watertight doors. No one except the boat crew are aboard. Two captains, two AB guys, ordinary seamen and the engineer. The bridge and sleeping cabins take up this entire deck and all the exterior doors are waterproof and should be closed underway. If the boat is flipped completely over, this cabin area is ,I guess,only about 50 feet under water. The forward bridge glass is strong. Everyone who has been on these boats hopes there are areas of air pockets where the crew could be found alive. We pray this will be the case.
The rescue efforts are being done in incredibly difficult conditions. We pray for those who will put their own lives on the line to dive into this vessel.
Captain Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, size