Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 16:26   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Adding locking pin to anchor roller

Now that the anchor roller is installed on the bow, and I have recovered from anchor-locker-claustrophobic shock, a locking pin for the anchor chain would be helpful. I have a separate anchor chain lock but it doesn’t fit at this point, and I’m thinking of drilling a hole in the sides of the anchor roller and inserting a locking pin there. Does this sound like a reasonable idea?
Goal is to have a anchor release line from the bow roller to the cockpit on this venerable Pearson 30. As always, your ideas are appreciated!
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 02:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Adding locking pin to anchor roller

Most bow rollers come with a locking pin; but, if yours didn't, it's probably a good idea to add one.
I don't know how you'd rig your remote [cockpit] release, though.
Following ...

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 03:46   #3
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Adding locking pin to anchor roller

If you do that Do Not do what the previous owner of one of my boats did which was to drill a matching hole in the shank of the anchor to hold it securely.. for that it worked great.
However we were stuck on anchor for three days in strong kabatic winds in Cascais (35-40kts) and on the 4th day when the wind eased to a moderate 20kts we went ashore for supplies and on our return saw our boat being blown out to sea, luckily it drifted close to a fishing boat who managed to hook the chain and hold it till I got to my boat.
I got on board and on hauling the chain back in found the shank had sheared at the hole.
The CQR had buried well into the sand but the strain put on the shank by the boat sailing back and forth in high winds had weakened the shank to snapping point.
I attached my Bruce (no hole) to the chain and re-anchored giving thanks to the Portuguese fishermen who had saved my boat.. the gods were smiling on me that day..

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 04:22   #4

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

A variety of ideas. / Len
https://www.google.com/search?q=anch...6GCnQ-qx37t7KM
Old 20-04-2021, 04:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you do that Do Not do what the previous owner of one of my boats did which was to drill a matching hole in the shank of the anchor to hold it securely...
Indeed! Good advice.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 04:45   #6
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Adding locking pin to anchor roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed! Good advice.
I resorted to a simple lashing from the anchor shackle to a bow cleat to hold the anchor in place which I remove once in the anchorage as I approached my chosen spot.. a quick slip knot that holds it securely yet can be released quickly.
This kept any loads from my electric windlass.. reverting back to what had previously been normal practice and has been since.

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 05:56   #7

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
I resorted to a simple lashing from the anchor shackle to a bow cleat to hold the anchor in place which I remove once in the anchorage as I approached my chosen spot.. a quick slip knot that holds it securely yet can be released quickly.
This kept any loads from my electric windlass.. reverting back to what had previously been normal practice and has been since.

+1
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 06:16   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

I have a short 1/4" or so line tied to my anchor and once the anchor is in the roller, I just fasten the line to a cleat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	236920  
Old 20-04-2021, 06:18   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Much better. There's no pin to get bent and then make the anchor unusable till you get the hack saw out.
Paul L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 10:11   #10

Good idea-thanks!
Old 20-04-2021, 10:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post

Thanks.
Interesting options for a locking device on that website.
Old 20-04-2021, 10:16   #12

Quote:
If you do that Do Not do what the previous owner of one of my boats did which was to drill a matching hole in the shank of the anchor to hold it securely.. for that it worked great.
However we were stuck on anchor for three days in strong kabatic winds in Cascais (35-40kts) and on the 4th day when the wind eased to a moderate 20kts we went ashore for supplies and on our return saw our boat being blown out to sea, luckily it drifted close to a fishing boat who managed to hook the chain and hold it till I got to my boat.
I got on board and on hauling the chain back in found the shank had sheared at the hole.
The CQR had buried well into the sand but the strain put on the shank by the boat sailing back and forth in high winds had weakened the shank to snapping point.
I attached my Bruce (no hole) to the chain and re-anchored giving thanks to the Portuguese fishermen who had saved my boat.. the gods were smiling on me that day..

Point taken, thank you!
Old 20-04-2021, 11:21   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Interesting. I have a pin through my bow roller & anchor - via a specially drilled hole near the crown - a very wide part of the shank so fingers crossed.
On a related subject, the delivery skipper who brought my boat back to UK from the Med across the Bay of Biscay (I had medical issues at the time so wimped out) insisted that all my underberth locker lids were modified so as to stay in place if the boat was upside down. Ever since I have always ensured the same would apply to my anchor....
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor