Originally Posted by Jim Cate
So, in the example quoted above (and a very useful report it is!) I suspect that adding additional cones and reinforcing the leading edges of the cones (ours, btw, were hemmed... didn't seem to keep them from destruction in our case of severe overspeed) would help keep them intact for reuse. The combination of slowing the boat meor and reinforcing the wear areas should be a big improvement. Not an easy task, though, removing all of them, hemming and replacing!
We just finished 'rebuilding' our drogue
using 4oz dacron with a hem on the leading edge. Likely we will never have to test it, but this should stand up much better than the original. Interestingly, we made 150 cones as recommended by Mr. Jordan for our size boat. We re-used the original rodes and found that we had 10 cones left over when we ran out of line. I think it is possible that the original kit that we got was the 140 cone kit rather than the 150 cones recommended for our boat. This may have contributed to our higher than expected speeds with the drogue
deployed and we will add the additional 10 cones to another rode
at the end of the drogue.
A comment regarding drogue kits. Putting a series drogue together is very labor intensive, with most of the time going towards hemming and sewing the cones, attaching the straps to the cones and attaching the cones to the rode
. A kit will provide you with pre-cut cones, but the time savings is not that significant as a percentage of total time required to build the drogue. By cutting your own cones you can make them out of as heavy a material as you like and leave enough material for a hem.
This is the template I made for 5" cones with a 1/4" hem. I made a template out of doorskin and my wife cut the cones with a hot knife from Sailrite
) We scalloped the hems in an effort to to reduce flapping at the leading edge. No idea whether this will be beneficial. We did add an additional cone to make up for the 1% loss in surface area.