Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 11:24   #1

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons
Jordan Series Drogue Cone Shape?

I live in South Africa and have not seen an actual JSD. I will shortly be making my own JSD. I have read all the information on the web and viewed the you tube clips. However, I am having difficulty on the curvature of the two ends of the actual cone. I do have the measurements from the diagrams. I used the diameter of 7 in x pie of 3.14 to determine the 15.7 circumference of the cone. I then took the radius, traced the circle with a compass to determine the opening of the cone. However, my shape is different to the images. Am I missing something simple? Is there an actual to scale cone shape template that I can obtain to use as my cut out of my cone. That will help enormously. Any advice will be appreciated.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:44   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Jordan Series Drogue Cone Shape?

The circumference is (2) (pie) (R)=2 x 3.14 x 3.5 = 21.98"

Just call it 22"

But isn't the diameter supposed to be 5"?

Sailrite hs the dimensions. http://www.sailrite.com/PDF/Drogue-Instructions.pdf
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 12:02   #3

Has anyone ever thought of using larger cones but less of them to make construction faster and less expensive? Of course it would require stronger cone material and maybe straps.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
I then took the radius, traced the circle with a compass to determine the opening of the cone. However, my shape is different to the images. Am I missing something simple?
You are thinking of and drawing it in the wrong plane.
Old 19-03-2017, 12:35   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Has anyone ever thought of using larger cones but less of them to make construction faster and less expensive? Of course it would require stronger cone material and maybe straps.
The recommended fabric weight for constructing cones is heavier than it used to be. There's some discussion on it in a couple of threads here on CF --> http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-119799-5.html
And probably as well on SailRite's website. Possibly on the Drogue Device Database too? Victor Shane's Drag Device Data Base | Using Parachutes, Sea Anchors and Drogues to Cope with Heavy Weather – Over 130 Documented Case Histories

But the basic idea behind JSD's is to have the entire drogue assembly be long enough that no one part of it sees excessive strain at any point. And this is also the reason for the large number of cones typically used as I understand it. So that if you modify things like you're suggesting, you'd be stepping away from some of it's design principles. As to how well it'd work or not, you'd need to research that. Probably both via the data base, & via institutions like US Sailing, & maybe the USCG or RNLI. But I'm sure that there's some information out there on this.

Out of curiosity, how long is it taking you per cone in terms of manufacturing time? Laying out patterns, cutting, sewing, etc.

One other possibly relevent thought is that some boats, multi's especcially, carry several types of drogues. Each one best suited to a particular set of conditions. Since for example you sometimes simply want to slow down from say 12-15kts+ to 7kts or so. Which, a standard series drogue would slow you to perhaps 2kts in such conditions. So then you use another type of drogue for this. And instances of this are found in the DDDB.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 13:57   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ypsilanti,

The difference in the shapes is because of the seam allowance. If I were going to do it, I would slightly lengthen the cones, enough to hem the opening, for about the first 50 of them. Also, would use zig-zag stitch for this, for its flexibility.

You can also cut more than one cone at a time with a hot knife, and then pull them apart.

Sorry, I do not have a template at hand to photograph for you.

Ann
Old 19-03-2017, 14:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

The question I have is how many cones do I make for my 4800 ib 24
Old 19-03-2017, 14:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The question I have is how many cones do I make for my 4800 ib 24
I would make 90. 1/2" polyester double braid will be fine. It's a lot more chafe resistant than nylon double braid.
Old 19-03-2017, 15:17   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Interesting comment kmacdonald. Some people are going to dyneema line, not sure how you get the cones to stay in it, though, it's so slippery.

Ann
Old 19-03-2017, 15:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Interesting comment kmacdonald. Some people are going to dyneema line, not sure how you get the cones to stay in it, though, it's so slippery.

Ann
I assume they are stitched to the line.
Old 19-03-2017, 15:31   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I assume they are stitched to the line.
I'd just ask the guys at Ace sails, who are the commercial source for JSD. They will supply them with Dyneema line

Jim
Old 19-03-2017, 15:32   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I would make 90. 1/2" polyester double braid will be fine. It's a lot more chafe resistant than nylon double braid.
Thanks for the response I was figuring on somewhere between 75 and 100 but also know if its to many it can.overload the vessel.
As far as the line I was thinking staying with nylon braid ( I can get 1/2 inch for under 200 bucks for a 500 ft roll) ( still have trucking contacts)
Old 19-03-2017, 15:53   #13

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

Ann
I'm fairly certain that there's a fair amount of commentary on spectra's use in JSD's on www.SetSail.com And wouldn't putting a couple of stopper knots into each tape after weaving it through the line hold them in place? Because as soon as a load of any substance comes onto the line, it's going to seriously tighten up. So much so that I'd think it nigh on impossible to get the cones loose until the tension was removed.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:25   #14

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Hello YPSILANTI,

Here are the measurements for the template I made for our drogue. This template allows for a 1/4" hem in the leading edge, which is important. Our first JSD was made from a Sailrite kit and many of the cones disintegrated after only a few hours deployment. I would use at least 4oz cloth with at least a 1/4" hem (more would not hurt).

When we rebuilt our drogue we used the old line, which is nylon double braid since we already had it. If I were building from scratch I would use Dyneema. Our drogue is 150 cones, your Voyage 50 would use a similar, if not larger amount. The finished drogue is very heavy and bulky, much heavier still when wet. Dyneema avoids both these issues and you do not need the stretch of nylon. You tie a figure 8 in each of the cone straps so pulling out of the dyneema would not be an issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cone template 1.jpg
Views:	1295
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	143519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cone template 2.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	143520  

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 16:44   #15

You can buy the cones here: 100 SERIES DROGUE CONES SEA ANCHOR, DESIGNER DON JORDAN | eBay
He will sell them in increments of 10. I purchased some from him and was very happy with them. I have no financial interest and am only a satisfied customer.

Tags
drogue