Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2012, 17:24   #841

Boat: 29'
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

At sea, I see your point. The article is framed to imply the witness and Coronika are the same. I like the Guardian, but I can't trust them. I would rather they'd mentioned her in the first opportunity.

Isn't Coronika a Greek name? The Second, also Greek, was in Schettino's infamous boat. Yes, it's quite fascinating. The Antithesis of the "Love Boat", 'though Capt.Schettino sure looks the part!
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:24   #842

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
There are several officers that have not been heard from aren't there? The First Mate, for instance (or have I missed something?)
Not to forget the head waiter...seems he was chatting away on the bridge and, further, that "saluting" his family on the island was one reason the captain did the fly by.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:30   #843

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
She has shafts and rudders. How else was she steered after she lost power.
You don't seem to understand the provided description/explanation of azimuthing thrusters/pods.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 17:37   #844
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce

You don't seem to understand the provided description/explanation of azimuthing thrusters/pods.
The Concordia did not have azipods.
Old 25-01-2012, 17:40   #845

Vessel Data Recorder operation have less than a perfect service history . . .

Voyage Data Recorder, VDR, failures have been emerging in a number of recent incidents, of which the UK Maritime Investigation Branch’s preliminary report on the contact incident between the ro-ro ferry European Endeavour and the linkspan at No. 7 berth in Calais is fairly recent. Although the save function on the VDR had been activated, and the VDR itself fully functional, data about the accident was not saved.

Full atricle is here:VDR Failures » Maritime Accident Casebook
St. Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 18:03   #846

Astrid?...I'm not too sure about the superior officer always being obeyed on the bridge.

Until the watch is changed, the quartermaster (if that term still exists) takes orders from the Watchkeeping officer until the officer is relieved and hands over. This is a pretty casual affair in my limited experience, but everyone on watch "knows" when it's happened.

A Captain might be different, but they don't rush in wild-eyed and grab the wheel often.The Captain will say "I'll take the con now, Mate" or similar. He doesn't just HAVE it.

Helm commands are merely repeated by the quartermaster if there is one,to confirm they have been heard. Further,when the rudder-angle or course has been attained,it also is said. I can imagine a scenario where an order could -should -must be refused by a "lower rate". It's allowed to question an order but it had "Better be Good"! You will only do this once in your career, most likely.
Old 25-01-2012, 18:12   #847

Which begs the question; does this ship have a quarter-master or does the watchkeeping officer merely turn the disengaged auto-pilot knob to a new course or twist some other doofunnie-surely not a Wheel !-never see an officer touch a Wheel! -to a new course?
Old 25-01-2012, 18:18   #848
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce

She has twin conventional screws driven by electric motors with three bow AND three stern thrusters. Which was why she travelled broadside at the end

See her specs and plans

http://www.nedcruise.info/costa_concordia.

http://www.mkbc-tour.lv/data/doc/13240322209119.pdf

So it's you that doesn't understand I'm afraid.

Dave
Old 25-01-2012, 18:20   #849

...and will they get those hard drives before they melt in salt water?
per StElsewhere's post http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post870631,

"the problem only affected the 12-hour [recording capsule]
....not the two hard disks on the bridge, which held details of its last 24 hours and the previous 30 days"
The Captain's lawyer thinks not?
Old 25-01-2012, 18:30   #850

So where is the ships log, i assume that they still have to keep a paper log. In my limited experience, changes in watch officer and in command were always recorded in the ships log. When my father took over command of ships, both when he was a ships captain (from other captains and pilots) and when he was a pilot the handing over and acceptance of command with the captain, it was done verbally and recorded in the ships log AT THAT TIME.
Old 25-01-2012, 20:30   #851

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

@Happyseagull,

Yes I think I see where you are coming from. True, the captain does not automatically take over from the OOW (Chief, First, or Second Officer). The OOW remains in control unless the captain announces he will assume control himself. However, if he sees the OOW give an order which he thinks is incorrect, he can immediately over ride that order.

Normally a ship is operating under standing orders issued by the captain and followed by the officers under him. Only on rare occasions would a junior officer depart from the standing orders or countermand an order from his OOW.

One such case concerned watch officer William M Murdoch on the liner Arabic. Another vessel was spotted in darkness bearing down on the liner. The OOW ordered the helm put hard over, but Murdoch rushed into the wheel house and pushing the quartermaster aside, held the ship on course. The Arabic missed colliding with a fully rigged sailing ship by inches; in this instance, had the Arabic turned she would have skidded into the windjammer. Murdoch thus narrowly averted what would have been a tragedy. Sadly Murdoch was later to be the OOW when Titanic collided with an iceberg.
Old 25-01-2012, 20:33   #852
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

OOW = Officer Of the Watch. Or on military vessel the OOD, Officer Of the Deck.

There are Third Mates where the First, Second and Third are in charge of and each stand their own watch on the bridge. A Chief Mate and First Mate are the same thing. On many ships the Chief can also refer to the Chief Engineer. There are then First Assistant engineers and so on down to a Third Assistant Engineer. They are all officers.

There are Junior Officers in the military but not the merchant marine...not in the US at least.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 20:49   #853

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
OOW = Officer Of the Watch. Or on military vessel the OOD, Officer Of the Deck.

There are Third Mates where the First, Second and Third are in charge of and each stand their own watch on the bridge. A Chief Mate and First Mate are the same thing. On many ships the Chief can also refer to the Chief Engineer. There are then First Assistant engineers and so on down to a Third Assistant Engineer. They are all officers.

There are Junior Officers in the military but not the merchant marine...not in the US at least.
That is how it is. Except three mates not "Third", typo.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 05:16   #854

There was a recent image of the ship taken bow on and elevated, my guess on a chopper, but the angle was so it appeared to me that the ship seems to be bowed sideways, my thought was that the stb side isn't supported the full length and that the ship is stressed.

It could just be a lens affect I suppose. The bay cam still shows the work boat setting up the pumping, I see the oil booms but I don't see much else and that seems a bit unusual. Is there some feet dragging so as to let the ship eventually shift until it settles deeper? make is sight unseen?

It would be bad mojo to repair it for passengers, it would be bad PR if it is shown being broken up. I just have a feeling that the cruise company wants it to disappear, as it is the industry is being rocked, on almost any forum about cruising people have less trust for the crew and people are even bringing their own survival gear.

I can just imagine a Disney cruise and the passengers are bring flotation suits, strobes, rope and climbing gear. Whats really popular is carry on containers to wear all the time with important papers and a waterproof light.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2012, 05:25   #855
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado6x6 View Post
I can just imagine a Disney cruise and the passengers are bring flotation suits, strobes, rope and climbing gear. Whats really popular is carry on containers to wear all the time with important papers and a waterproof light.

Do you reckon I could get a parachute as hand carry on a flight.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship