Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2023, 16:22   #1

Boat: Sail Club member sailing Other Peoples Boats. Catalina 27/Hunter 28.5
Searching for a recent post

There was a post in the last few days where someone was looking to sail higher to wind and the post discussed a piece of equipment, the name of which escapes me. It was a well know piece of kit to several of the forums members and one posted a video of an Aussie reviewing a newer version.

IIRC it attached to the jib sheet and was used to pull the clew of the jib closer to center line of the boat to head higher.

If anyone can direct me toward this discussion, TIA. I also wondered how this equipment would work on any head sail much larger than a 100% jib without hanging the leech on the spreader.

Lastly- using the same principle- could a rolling hitch tied to a jib sheet and hauled/cleated off to windward work as a temporary devise for the same function?
Yojimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 16:36   #2

Boat: 2014 Leopard 39
Re: Searching for a recent post

What you are looking for is called an inhauler.
Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 16:40   #3

Boat: 2014 Leopard 39

If you search “jib inhauler” you will get many results.
Good luck
Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 16:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ll-278731.html
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 16:49   #5

Boat: Morgan 382

Barber Hauler. The simple way to experiment is to just use your lazy jib sheet. But they are not magic. If you are not already able (skilled) to trim your boat to sail well and high, you might just make it sail worse. Before messing with a barber hauler, make sure your sail shape is excellent (new sails), and your jib lead is correctly positioned. If you are not sailing high because of bad sail trim, a barber hauler is going to make your trim worse.

On the other hand, if you are sailing fast at 30 degrees or less AWA, and want 1 or 2 degrees more for that edge while racing, then it may be just the thing.
Old 18-08-2023, 17:24   #6

Warren-

When I skipper the club boats I sail, my sail trim is still a work in progress applying what I've learned so far crewing a couple of race boats who's skippers are seriously experienced and serious about sail trim. Tomorrow I'll be crewing a 35 nm double handed race with one of those guys and wanted to bring up the barber hauler for a discussion.

Racing is not my particular goal but has been a great learning experience that translates to improving my skills. I can imagine the barber hauler might be of use in a situation where it would get a boat past a landmass or obstruction without the need for a tack as long as the stw wasn't too big a compromise. Sure to get schooled more tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 18-08-2023, 17:26   #7

Nolex77-

Yeahhhhhhhhhh. That's the ticket. Thanks.
Old 18-08-2023, 17:35   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

Agree with Wholybee. Barber-hauler/inhaulers can be tricky. A boat is designed with certain sails and sailing angles in mind. Sailmakers build the sails to fit and drive the boat as designed. If you take a sail that was designed to trim to the sailtrack that the naval architect put in the middle of the deck and barber haul the sheet a foot further inboard you will be able to head much higher and keep the sail full. It may slow the boat by three knots, but it will allow you to head higher. You could also barber-haul the sheet to the windward rail. The sail might be full but it will not improve your VMG to windward. Changing the leads with a barber hauler calls for balancing the cut of the sail, the speed of the boat, and the desired headings in order to improve performance. It is not necessarily easy to achieve positive results.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 18:41   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The trick to the barber haul, or any sail trim is tell tales. Without tell tales, you cannot see the laminar flow of air on BOTH sides of the sail. Therefore any trimming is guessing.

The lack of tell tales drives me crazy on furling mains, but that can be compensated somewhat with leach tell tales. A jib really needs 3 sets of tell tales.

Be sure to check out the videos I posted in the other thread!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 19:31   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

A twing is also very popular now. It basically replaces the genoa rails, allowing a single inboard genoa block with the twing to change the angle and pull it outwards.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2023, 21:27   #11

PSK- This skipper has never used a barber hauler that I've seen so pretty easy to assume it's not a consideration. I'm certain he'll be able to express a fully informed opinion as to why.

Thanks Snore- will watch again- we will be racing cruisers class- he's already calculated the benefits of registering PHRF as a double handed crew on a 37 Jeanneau but when those guys fly their spinakers on the last leg the odds are against us despite the rating. There's some wind predicted and a 12 nm narrow pass 1st leg with N current and N wind so the tacking challenges should be fun in a crowded fleet.

Jedi- Totally new nomenclature to me, sounds interesting and maybe even better than sitting on the foredeck with a boat hook playing the jib like a kite when the wind disappears. Will look into it.

Thanks to all. I'll repost the results of our efforts with the skippers permission.

Kind of psyched.
Old 19-08-2023, 07:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

@Yojimbo, consider a pole and snatch blocks.

When I raced my T-33, off the wind- I routed the jib sheet through a snatchblock secured to the slotted toe rail at the gate opening. I am 99% sure Jeanneaus have a teak toe rail. But the beam cleat should be a solid point to mount some hardware that can open up the jib and get max power out of it.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc