Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2012, 19:43   #91

Boat: Wharram custom 44'
re: Cruise Ship Costa Concordia - MERGED THREADS

Ships need room and they don't encroach land unless they have to. We have to wait for the full information to come out, but my guess is that something happened that impaired the ship, either equipment malfunction, or a terrible crew misjudgement, and it came up on the island and had to take the course it did and the result was a ruptured hull and calamity for those aboard.
I always joke that I am an excellent navigator, I always find land. This navigator may have inherited a bad situation from his crew and made the best of it what he could, with a big ship, and land imminent.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 19:46   #92

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I've been in a hurricane or two on cruise ships. Considered them highlights of the trip rather than terror.

The captain of the Norwegian Dream was fired after his ship rammed a barge in broad daylight in the Montevideo channel. At the time, he was in his cabin and allegedly intoxicated.

You're not really convincing me to go on a cruise...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 19:59   #93

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

If they had a power outage severe enough to affect steering and nav, maybe they should have got out a handheld GPS, a paper chart and DROPPED ANCHOR at the 30 m depth contour. Wait for a tow or repair...don't just blunder on hoping to beach a 300 metre behemoth.

I agree, it'll all come out in the Incident Report, but I am very curious to learn if this is another "Air France 747 drops 30,000 feet into the South Atlantic due to people trusting frozen instruments" situation.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:07   #94

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am afraid it is. I am also familiar with the true reasons of the AF stall.
Point is that from now on there will be a screen of silence.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:22   #95

Boat: Wharram custom 44'

I've done that, trying to figure out why my display wasn't agreeing with my first hand viusal input. It was a stupid basic serial line failure that left my display more or less frozen, I could look at buoys and follow the channel, and when I found out the problem, it updated and moved ahead, around an island and sesnsitive submarine port. Navigation at night shouldn't be done close to shore. Most of us cruising navigators stand off till dawn, if we can.
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:24   #96
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
Ships need room and they don't encroach land unless they have to. We have to wait for the full information to come out, but my guess is that something happened that impaired the ship, either equipment malfunction, or a terrible crew misjudgement, and it came up on the island and had to take the course it did and the result was a ruptured hull and calamity for those aboard.
I always joke that I am an excellent navigator, I always find land. This navigator may have inherited a bad situation from his crew and made the best of it what he could, with a big ship, and land imminent.

Once the boat lost power, how would they steer? It wasn't a sailboat, after all ...

I don't understand how it started but I'm not ready to fault them for where they ended up. The loss of life is tragic but could have been much worse given how rapidly the boat listed significantly.

I bet their nav systems had backup battery power, but it's hard to imagine enough backup battery power to steer the boat, esp. if the engines were out. It may be incredibly good luck that they ended up in shallow water. They could have drifted out to deeper water with greater loss of life.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:27   #97

personally, I think they lost power when one of the main Gen's went under water.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:28   #98

Boat: CN35 - 1960 35' steel yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Not too sure about that. They did get the guy after all. I just don't know how they could convict two sets of people for the exact same crime using an entirely different set of facts.
"Phfft! Facts. You can use them to prove anything. -- Homer Simpson
Old 14-01-2012, 20:30   #99

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

So I am curious.... how would one go about righting this vessel and perhaps getting it afloat again? Or is the only thing to do now is just cut her up and haul it off? This vessel was just launched in 2006 so pretty new... seems they will have to try an salvage her...but how ? Can you put some kind of inflatables around her? Geeze, besides the human side which is tragic enough, this is a god awful mess...
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 20:45   #100

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I think eventually, when the accident report is finally published, the cause of the accident will become a matter of public record for those who wish to seek it out. It is possible that there was a problem with the navigation system. Back in 2009 the USS Port Royal, a Ticonderoga class guided missile cruiser of 9,800 tons, ran aground off of Honolulu, Hawaii. It would appear that there was some problem with the navigation system on that occasion, either an outright failure or the various systems were giving conflicting results. Apparently no one aboard bothered to look out and attempt to visually fix the ship´s true position, something that could have been done quickly with an old-fashioned sounding sextant if one had been aboard. In the event, the captain was relieved of his command and, along with the XO and three sailors, was disciplined for dereliction of duty and improperly hazarding a vessel.
Old 14-01-2012, 20:51   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
So I am curious.... how would one go about righting this vessel and perhaps getting it afloat again? Or is the only thing to do now is just cut her up and haul it off? This vessel was just launched in 2006 so pretty new... seems they will have to try an salvage her...but how ? Can you put some kind of inflatables around her? Geeze, besides the human side which is tragic enough, this is a god awful mess...
Well, I think they will pull up a barge/crane and pull out the rock

Then weld a patch on, which really should not be that hard relatively speaking, the way it's lying will help a lot with that.

Then I guess it all depends on what the other side looks like but I bet they can dewater it and it'll prolly right itself and tow it off with a few tugs.
Old 14-01-2012, 21:13   #102

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.

Yes, temporarily patch the damaged areas of the hull, attempt to close off all topside areas which would admit water, pump out fuel oil and fresh water, then dewater the hull. I am sure it can be done, but it will be an enormous and costly effort. I suppose it will come down to how much the salvage effort repairs would cost. Counting water damage on the inside, the repair alone would be considerable. If it comes close to the £372,000 it took to build her and put her in service, the insurance underwriters might opt to scrap her instead.
Old 14-01-2012, 21:25   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Yes, temporarily patch the damaged areas of the hull, attempt to close off all topside areas which would admit water, pump out fuel oil and fresh water, then dewater the hull. I am sure it can be done, but it will be an enormous and costly effort. I suppose it will come down to how much the salvage effort repairs would cost. Counting water damage on the inside, the repair alone would be considerable. If it comes close to the £372,000 it took to build her and put her in service, the insurance underwriters might opt to scrap her instead.
you're missing a few Zero's there...

But she'll have to be moved regardless.
Old 14-01-2012, 21:30   #104

Opps, yes. I am. Must be fatigue.
Old 14-01-2012, 21:33   #105
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

salvage repair crew have already arrived. Early estimate is for the cost to Carnival at over 150 mil.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cruise, cruise ship