Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2014, 20:53   #151
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
And partner who had been blogging for a year about how terrible everything boat-related was, and how much she hated it - all that was considered "normal" and a "tragedy".
I didn't get that from her blog at all. Now who's being tabloid for dramatic gonzo purposes. Doom on you.

And back to the Bennie, I believe the catastrophe could be related to same issue with rudder. We just don't know, so we should give benefit.

Jeanneau and bendies sure r purtie but me thinks there's a devil in that woma so I'll go with the home girl. Sticking with psc or ip unless I get 250000 k
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 21:09   #152

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I didn't get that from her blog at all. Now who's being tabloid for dramatic gonzo purposes. Doom on you.
We must have been reading different blogs over the past year. And definitely different ones over the past couple of months before they left. Rather than me dramatic, I think you are in denial.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 21:18   #153

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The RH thread was problematic, as it uncomfortably mixed breaking tragic news, expressions of concern from friends, support (emotional and financial) from CFers who had connections with RH, a search for the facts (still not entirely available AFAIK), attempts to analyze what went wrong, and outright criticism. IMHO some of the criticism was badly timed and inappropriately harsh - there is a time and place, and that wasn't it. I chose to stay out of the s***storm as I didn't see it coming to any good. That said, I don't disagree with your analysis of the situation. Still it would be useful to understand the specifics if Eric ever decides to share.

Having built my own boat and been aboard many a cruising boat I find that there are few that I can't find fault with, and Bendys are no exception. Neither are HCs. I agree that the likely culprit is undiscovered damage from a previous experience. It is moot whether the boat should have had that much damage.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 22:48   #154

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Bluewaters2812, I have just caught up with the news that you have lost your boat. I am so very sorry to hear this, but feel very thankful there was no loss of life.

I imagine you and all the crew must be feeling shellshocked at the moment.

Sending best wishes.
SWL xxx

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 00:56   #155

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If Bluewaters 2182 and Blue Pearl are one and the same, then by golly, they've sure had more than their fair share of troubles....

Perhaps I missed the crucial confirmation????

Colemj:

With the sinking of the Rebel Heart, we had a situation where a regular, respected contributor to CF lost his boat, whilst the sharks were gathering ashore. The CF community came together to some extent to support the injured members. Others wanted to dissect the situation.

In neither the Rebel Heart situation nor the Blue Pearl situation do we have all the info.
Probably never will. Therefore all the foofaraw.

Bye!

Ann
Old 29-04-2014, 02:54   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

You should be able to make the connection in their profile page Ann.

Main thing is that everyone got off the boat OK, just hope that the family is able to pick up the pieces and resume the voyage.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 04:39   #157
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Blue Pearl Sinks

My personal view is **** happens at sea.. oh.. its also my experience..
In the last 10yrs I've sailed brand new Lagoons and down to 40yr old ply boats.. they've all had problems and one nearly sank on me..
From where I sit RH's episode had more to do with personal/crew reasons than critical boat failure.. Alpha 42 seemed a combination that happened at a bad time of year.. Blue Pearl to date seems a past gear failure led to her breaking up in heavy weather..
None of these events in my view condemn the boats or builders..
else there'd be boats going down left right and centre..
I'm primarily interested in the real story as its my kinda 'Who Dunnit..' for personal/work related reasons I like to know as it allows me to sit back and analyse the events and MY possible response's and solutions.. or.. would I.. like them abandon ship..
Okay.. I joke about Bene's.. (love visualising MarkJ going red in the face) and Hunters (same for Sailor and a coupla others).. but in the main most boats are more than capable of more than their purpose.. for example a Mac 26x is not meant for the oceans.. but.. you could do a crossing in one.. at the right time and Latitude..
So sad tho' it is for those involved in the catastrophes.. its a valuable contribution to the learning curve for others like me.. and.. lets be honest.. those who 'know' soon sort out the wheat from the chaff..
Play On folks...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 05:31   #158

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

It seems pretty gutsy to be that far north mid-April in the North Atlantic. There is some terrific weather that moves through there.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 06:23   #159

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Salty, I believe Cavalier was referring to the comments from the public following the news article. Those are often worth reading for the laughs, but also to get a feeling for what the general public think. And, true to form, if you read those the first comment that jumped out at me was one person questioning why they'd take a poor innocent little dog on a trip like that....
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 06:28   #160
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Salty, I believe Cavalier was referring to the comments from the public following the news article. Those are often worth reading for the laughs, but also to get a feeling for what the general public think. And, true to form, if you read those the first comment that jumped out at me was one person questioning why they'd take a poor innocent little dog on a trip like that....
Ok…

Oh, but I'm in agreement about the dog. There room for only one animal on a banana boat.
Old 29-04-2014, 07:13   #161

Boat: Comet 41s

Another one, out of the Australian coast and this one "looks like a bluewater boat", I mean it is not a modern mass production boat.

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 07:19   #162
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Another one, out of the Australian coast and this one "looks like a bluewater boat", I mean it is no mass production boat.

g[/IMG]
Is that now?

I think i would have deployed the liferaft by this time, nice to have it tethered to that stern incase needed... Or the dinghy. Or both. Failing that I would quickly building one from anything that floats..

..... Maybe even wearing a life jacket.....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 07:52   #163

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Is that now?
Yes :

RNZAF crew searching for MH370 find yacht in distress - National - NZ Herald News
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 08:30   #164
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Another one, out of the Australian coast and this one "looks like a bluewater boat", I mean it is not a modern mass production boat.
Nice boat wonder what it is? Looks like an older '80 bennie
Old 29-04-2014, 09:22   #165
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Nice boat wonder what it is? Looks like an older '80 bennie
dont believe its a benny

Quote:
I'm primarily interested in the real story as its my kinda 'Who Dunnit..' for personal/work related reasons I like to know as it allows me to sit back and analyse the events and MY possible response's and solutions.. or.. would I.. like them abandon ship..
+100, Boatie, thats the reason I too like to understand these accidents. Unfortunately experience as shown me that often the boat ( or some other inanimate object) is blamed , when in fact a lot was inter personal problems or avoidable mistakes. Easier to blame things then people

Dave