Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2012, 20:02   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Anybody want to see a Bruce Roberts 65 surfing at 20 knots?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachts66 View Post
Still makes no sense to me to have the sails all sheeted in with the wind apparently right on the stern! Or am I reading your instruments wrong?
No kidding.
Got a big v8 in there, or just a lot of windage we're not seeing?

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:36   #17

Boat: Able 50

There was a jib out in the second clip. They were very small waves for that strength of breeze and I still don't buy that 16 ft guff.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 20:59   #18

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child

It did appear the stern was being sucked down by the stern wave which is an indication she's exceeding hull speed, but I really don't understand the trim of the sails. I'd like to though. Is it true, does this boat have a big V8 mounted in their somewhere? How many horses is she sporting?
Old 21-01-2012, 21:16   #19

Boat: Haida 26

Wind waves are not big enough for 35 knts. I've been around that Cape a few times myself. Once this past summer, still think it looks like 20-25 to me, that's just a normal sail there. Pissie is enough to make a seasoned skipper nervous. When it works up a little, you get rebound seas coming back off the Cape. And get's worse 35 miles south at Punta Gorda. Oh well a sea story is just a sea story, makes good reading for the ones who have never been there...Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 00:34   #20

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

That does it, I want an anenometer.

The surface just looks so calm... The Beaufort description for Force 8 is Moderately high waves with breaking crests forming spindrift. Well-marked streaks of foam are blown along wind direction. Considerable airborne spray.

The waves in the video haven't had time to develop into anything. But I always thought the surface effects (streaks of foam, airborne spray...) would come up as soon as the wind does, and so used that in judging the conditions. I've never thought "Gale" until the sea was definitely within the realm of a Mad Max movie, with the windswept post apocalyptic wasteland look. This surface really looks much less, but, of course, I trust the anenometer.

So, you folks with anenometers, how long does it take for the foam and airborne spray to develop? Does it only come when the waves build?

PS-- The vortices in the wake from the freewheeling prop are pretty cool.
msponer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 07:04   #21

Boat: Currently(Bruce Roberts 65)
Send a message via Skype™ to goldbeard
Re: Anybody Want to See a Bruce Roberts 65 Surfing at 20 Knots?!

You guys are fun! Hee...Hee...
I put the whole thing together in photo shop one frame at a time! Just Joking!
I was under motor. Motors actually. There are two 100 horsepower turbo diesels pushing us along and she does squat, HARD! It was a last minute delivery and my crew were good seamen, just not skilled with handling sails. And, it was a new rig that had not be completely tuned, so, therefor not to be trusted, YET. Truth be told, I think the anemometer was calling the winds a little high. AND, in the video I first say, "14-16", then, if you listen close, I say, "ah, 12-14 occasional 16". What I do believe is accurate is when you can see the SOG surge up to 17.5 knots in the second video. It is kinda hard to argue with satellites! Unfortunately, I didn't catch the peak of the blow, cause I was concentrating at the helm. It was pretty exciting to surf up to 20.3 knots, 1.34 times the square root of the waterline......hahahahaha! We only hit 20 knots twice over the course of 24 hours, we would surge up to about 12-14 knots, and then speed would fall down to 6-7 knots on the back side.

What I think is interesting, is that no one has mentioned that it is interesting that I am headed south in January. This is winter, winds should be coming from the south! This was a wonderful window to get a boat from the Columbia River to San Diego in a week.

Moving on, the take away message here is.......I showed you mine, now you show me yours! I want to see a cooler home video! What do you got?! You know video of waves look crappy, I thought this one was pretty strong!
goldbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 07:11   #22
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Goldbeard ya dirty dog You never did mention "sailing". Anyways, it is funny about video. I have one from my last trip where the wind was 25 knots and there where 12' ocean swells. I replayed it at home and went "Wow". It looks pretty calm, very calm in fact. I guess I don't want to be in weather that actually looks on film like a hurricane.
Old 22-01-2012, 10:23   #23

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldbeard View Post
I showed you mine, now you show me yours! I want to see a cooler home video! What do you got?! You know video of waves look crappy, I thought this one was pretty strong!
We're usually too busy in those conditions to be making a video.
Hate it when that happens!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 11:30   #24

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Like I said before it's just a normal day off the Cape !! gets A Lot Worse LOL ya otta see it when it blows 25 30 or better from the south when the current runs from the north !! now thats a ride LOL And I don't even wanta talk about Gorda !! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 13:22   #25

Boat: Colin Archer RS-22 46' LOD

I saw that boat in Ilwaco, Washington when she was being worked on and the subsequent sea trials. She is an impressive vessel; not my type, but impressive none the less. I noticed she had left a little while back; nice to see she made it down the coast.
Old 22-01-2012, 17:28   #26

Boat: Currently(Bruce Roberts 65)
Send a message via Skype™ to goldbeard

I refuse to believe no one has a video of some excitable weather. Come on ya'll!

goldbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 18:11   #27

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
I refuse to believe no one has a video of some excitable weather. Come on ya'll!

Sorry, on a 26' boat in a storm have better things to do than take pic's. To me, it all looks than same, cresting waves w/ the tops blown off. This past summer was particularly pissie off the west coast. We rode out 2 storms 45-55Knts & 5 gales 25-35 Knts. Sat in harbors to wait on serveral to pass. We alway's feel safe though, I have years of off shore experence. Try sails & storm jib and the boat heaves to nicely. Good sailing.....Michael.......
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 18:52   #28

I guess video can be misleading, but to me that doesn't look like anywhere near 20 knots, nor do the waves look big enough for a 65 foot boat to surf on.

Here's a video where the waves do look pretty big, and speeds are confirmed by GPS.

44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 19:16   #29

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
You guys are fun! Hee...Hee...
I put the whole thing together in photo shop one frame at a time! Just Joking!
I was under motor. Motors actually. There are two 100 horsepower turbo diesels pushing us along and she does squat, HARD! It was a last minute delivery and my crew were good seamen, just not skilled with handling sails. And, it was a new rig that had not be completely tuned, so, therefor not to be trusted, YET. Truth be told, I think the anemometer was calling the winds a little high. AND, in the video I first say, "14-16", then, if you listen close, I say, "ah, 12-14 occasional 16". What I do believe is accurate is when you can see the SOG surge up to 17.5 knots in the second video. It is kinda hard to argue with satellites! Unfortunately, I didn't catch the peak of the blow, cause I was concentrating at the helm. It was pretty exciting to surf up to 20.3 knots, 1.34 times the square root of the waterline......hahahahaha! We only hit 20 knots twice over the course of 24 hours, we would surge up to about 12-14 knots, and then speed would fall down to 6-7 knots on the back side.

What I think is interesting, is that no one has mentioned that it is interesting that I am headed south in January. This is winter, winds should be coming from the south! This was a wonderful window to get a boat from the Columbia River to San Diego in a week.

Moving on, the take away message here is.......I showed you mine, now you show me yours! I want to see a cooler home video! What do you got?! You know video of waves look crappy, I thought this one was pretty strong!
Winds from the South ? Huh ?

The prevailing wind off the coast of California is NW. PNW might be different.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2012, 19:37   #30

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Winds from the South ? Huh ?

The prevailing wind off the coast of California is NW. PNW might be different.
Prevailing winter winds in the PNW are indeed from the south.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bruce roberts