Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 06:49   #46

Re: Slapping Halyards

Slapping halyards are a sign of very poor seamanship. After a few years the lines chafe through. Seen many parted lines flapping in the breeze, quietly. I've silenced several whenever I'm staying at the dock...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:47   #47
CLOD

Boat: none

So that guys slapping halyard woke me up again the other day. Since I already left a note asking him nicely to secure it it was time for a boarding.

So took my dinghy over and boarded his boat and removed the halyard from the mainsail and moved it to the handrails. I can see why he never does this as it took me around 60 seconds, which is work keeping him from hitting the beach faster.

My wife said we should wait to see if he showed up and got confused when he tried to haul the main and then tried to figure out why it wasn't going up. But I wanted to go sailing and his boat was gone from the mooring when we got back.

Wonder if he got the message and the halyard will be secured next time I go to the boat? Wonder if I should expect a visit from the harbor master soon?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:00   #48
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

I've done that many times Don, never had a problem with anyone.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25   #49
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

folks may get message about slapping halyards after they replace em often.

or they may not....

there was a boat the folks called synchronicity altho was synchrony written on boat-- they would leave boat just before the wind comes up in afternoon leaving slamming halyards for evveryone..only boat in the harbor with samming halyards... they may not wever know about their problem, as they return just after the wind dies down----but they WILL have to replace halyards more often than those of us not allowing that to happen.

slapping/slamming halyards cause rupture of line and need for replacement. isnt your loss unless is yours slapping. i laugh at them now and tolerate the noise. isnt my money flying into the wind....
if you be a friend i will let ye know when i hear noises not meant to be heard from your rig.

i will not board your boat to fix em either.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:58   #50

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Maybe give em a Present of some cheap bungee cords !! with a note saying how much of a saving tool they are when used for keeping halyards from slaping !! just a thought
Old 09-07-2012, 13:55   #51
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

bobnconnie---yer goooood......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:28   #52

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Maybe give em a Present of some cheap bungee cords !! with a note saying how much of a saving tool they are when used for keeping halyards from slaping !! just a thought
This is exactly what I do also Bob...I go to Harbor Freight and buy the cheapest lot of bungees I can find (10 for $5) and bungee the halyards to the shrouds. They get the hint and I think appreciate the bungee gesture.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 14:40   #53
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

The first time I fix your halyards, you get a free bungee. The second time you get duct tape. Free, of course.
Old 09-07-2012, 15:33   #54

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The first time I fix your halyards, you get a free bungee. The second time you get duct tape. Free, of course.

Hmmm, sounds like a profitable source of odds and ends. What's the gift at third time?

On the first day of mooring, my dockmate gave to me,
a bungeeee on the mainmast.

On the second day of mooring, my dockmate gave to me,
5 feet of ducttape and a bungeeeee on the mainmast.

etc
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:44   #55

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

On the third day of mooring, my dockmate gave to me,
10 zip ties, 5 feet of duckttape and a bungeeee on the mainmast
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:57   #56

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

On the last day he gave me all my halyards up the Mast !!! dodedo
Old 09-07-2012, 20:43   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

On the 12th day of clanging my dockmate gave to meeeee....a noose around my neck hoisted on said halyard!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:20   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

I guess I am the only one who actually likes the sound of slapping halyards. To me it is the sound of freedom and I sleep like a baby with the noice. I also like the sound of hull slap.

I won't anchor near you and if I do I will secure my halyards but if you board my boat there is gonna be a fight. Sorry - just the way it is.

Also cheap bungees last 5 minutes in the sun. Cheap bungee ends rusted and stained my mainsail. Cheap bungees don't belong on a boat, IMHO...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 21:56   #59

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
A vehicle is a vehicle. I rounded a corner of my building years ago to see a friend of a neighbor sitting on my V8 motorcycle. That moment in time was not long lasting. I walked straight up to him, and asked him if he would like a ride on my wife also??? He tried to stumble out an answer and I told him to get the fcuk off of my motorcycle. I asked him which vehicle was his, so I could climb in and daydream.

No one has any business on another persons property unless it is on fire and you have a bucket of water in your hand.

I try to leave my boat in such a way as to not disturb others. If I mess up, call me. I have never touched another boat and I request the same in return.

I hear a halyard slap and it sounds better than lots of noises I get to hear all day long. I rather like it. People worry too much about external stuff. A marina noise in a marina. Gee, imagine that. Who would have expected that.

If I owned a marina, I would get a PA system, and play a digital recording of a HS on endless loop. Not very loud, just loud enough to make everyone go nuts looking for the noise.
Old 09-07-2012, 22:19   #60

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
I try to leave my boat in such a way as to not disturb others. If I mess up, call me. I have never touched another boat and I request the same in return.
Do you display a phone number so people can complain or volunteer to correct the situation?

(Blanked out the number for purposes of the Internet for obvious reasons. Beware of watchbear!)
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote