Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 12:46   #1

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity
Just to Believe Again in Humanity...

A few weeks ago I went with my Hunter 31 along the ICW and decided to anchor at the oxbow at Lake Charles. I took my dinghy out and went on land to look for 10 gallons of diesel fuel. Far away in a very, but very beautiful property I saw this guy having fun with his lawn mower.When I came close he got all excited about me bringing his fuel. I denied and told him I was looking for diesel. He offered me to give 5 gallons he had for free, but I told him, I needed more. After he told me the next station was more then 5 miles away and seeing my long face, he just ment, "go intomy garage and take my Pick up and get the diesel. He gave me even 2 more cans for free and after returning with his brand new Cadillac Pick up, he offersd me even to stay, have a Jacuzzi and sleep at his guest room. I denied since I departed early 6 am and I saw his wifes face somehow relieved.
When I find this kind of guys along my way I believe again in good humanity...
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:22   #2

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Re: Just to believe again in humanity...

There are actually a lot of folks like that. Most I think. Ones that don't watch too much TV anyway.

On our last trip to the keys we needed propane. So off in the dink we went knowing there was a propane place and from the chart, lots of canals and places we might be able to get close enough to it. No luck. Saw a guy in his back yard and asked if he would allow us to trespass to walk to the propane store. Nope! Too far to carry those things. I'll give you a ride. We had a nice chat the whole time.

Thanks Pete!!
Old 17-06-2013, 16:24   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
A few weeks ago I went with my Hunter 31 along the ICW and decided to anchor at the oxbow at Lake Charles. I took my dinghy out and went on land to look for 10 gallons of diesel fuel. Far away in a very, but very beautiful property I saw this guy having fun with his lawn mower.When I came close he got all excited about me bringing his fuel. I denied and told him I was looking for diesel. He offered me to give 5 gallons he had for free, but I told him, I needed more. After he told me the next station was more then 5 miles away and seeing my long face, he just ment, "go intomy garage and take my Pick up and get the diesel. He gave me even 2 more cans for free and after returning with his brand new Cadillac Pick up, he offersd me even to stay, have a Jacuzzi and sleep at his guest room. I denied since I departed early 6 am and I saw his wifes face somehow relieved.
When I find this kind of guys along my way I believe again in good humanity...

what a great story.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:32   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syserenity View Post
A few weeks ago I went with my Hunter 31 along the ICW and decided to anchor at the oxbow at Lake Charles.
Ever notice how good things are always happening to Hunter owners?
Old 17-06-2013, 16:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I've been on both sides of these stories. It's good to recieve and it's great to have the chance to give!
Old 17-06-2013, 17:03   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Sometimes it's tough to fight the bad rap Florida gets. It's not qite the state I remember growing up in, we do have our share of head shakin an scratchin to be sure. But if anyone sails into the South east side of Florida and needs anything just give a hollar and we'll lend a hand, getchya a ride, point the way, or advice, if you need it.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:55   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

You will find a lot of folks like this down in Louisiana! being a boat place has something to do with that !! The Marina at Cocodrie LA (at least the old owners) kept our ph number handy for folks that showup needing help with there sail or power boats ! And when the weather is gonna get bad, and ya duck up the Bayous for safety, theres always shrimpers that will help ya set up allong the sides of the bayou, or tell ya how to get to the marina in Houma and such a matter !!
Old 17-06-2013, 18:14   #8

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

wish this sort of stuff made the news instead of all the nasty crap we get fed so we run around in fear of our fellow humans - thanks for putting it up
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 04:06   #9

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

NOt boating, but in the same theme. About 15 years ago, my wife's nephew and a friend, two young guys about 22 years old, went to "see america". They bought a used Chevy van in New Jersey and set off. A couple of months later, they were in florida, the van broke down and they just managed to get it into the parking lot of a car parts store.

AFter looking under the hood, they went inside and started asking the owner about parts, prices etc. The list got longer and longer. Finally the owner (who could hear they had foreign accents) asked where they were from and what the hell they were doing in his parking lot.
They explained and he came out and looked at the van. No question, he said, this thing needs a complete engine rebuild.

Two very long faces on a couple of young guys. Of course, they didn't have any real money etc.

Owner then invited them to stay at his house (free) eat with the family (free), gave (yes for free) them all the parts necessary to totally rebuild the engine. Lent them all the tools to do the job.

The rebuild took a week and he and his family would accept nothing. The two young guys kept insisting and finally they agreed that the guys could buy and cook the family a traditional danish meal as dinner. That would pay the debit.

Vigors black box theory. This autoparts guy racked up a helluva lotta points in his personal black box

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 05:04   #10

Boat: Ericson 35-2

Messing about in sailboats is, indeed, a pretty good way to restore faith in humanity, if anyone has a problem with keeping it.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 05:18   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Just to believe again in humanity...

There's good folks out there that's for sure... and on here...
They pulled my nutz outa the fire when a delivery turned bad on me in Oz...
I've a ton of good Karma to pass on.. pity there's not much time left to do it in...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 05:36   #12

Boat: Ohlson 38
Re: Just to Believe Again in Humanity...

I love hearing stories like these.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:21   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
There's good folks out there that's for sure... and on here...
They pulled my nutz outa the fire when a delivery turned bad on me in Oz...
I've a ton of good Karma to pass on.. pity there's not much time left to do it in...
Was elated that the good CF'ers were able to do that before they really got smoking....

You have plenty of time my friend!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 13:21   #14

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
You will find a lot of folks like this down in Louisiana! being a boat place has something to do with that !! The Marina at Cocodrie LA (at least the old owners) kept our ph number handy for folks that showup needing help with there sail or power boats ! And when the weather is gonna get bad, and ya duck up the Bayous for safety, theres always shrimpers that will help ya set up allong the sides of the bayou, or tell ya how to get to the marina in Houma and such a matter !!
One of the reasons I enjoyed so much the ICW was, to sail along the state of Louisiana. Lake Charles, Lake Arthur, Morgan City....

Docking at the city Marina of Morgan City I observed a fisherman catching a big Catfish. Soon, he asked if I wanted the fish and I ment, I don't know how to filet the fish. Therefore, the next to bring in he called me and I brought the fish in. Then, he showed me how to peel and filet the fish and - proud - I stored the filets in Ziploc bags to eat soon. Then, his mother went for some Gumba and I tried for the first time this very delicious Louisiana dish. Next day at midday, they picked me up and took me with to the local church, where they had a Crawfish feast. Woww.... I had some wonderful moments in Louisiana. Thanks to Facebook I stay in touch with these folks. I thank God for having these unforgetable moments... they restore my joy in life....
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 14:24   #15

Re: Just to Believe Again in Humanity...

nice stories. Interesting people in interesting lifes meet interesting persons. Thats just how it is. What is your futur plan?
sunandwind is offline   Reply With Quote