Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2009, 18:57   #1

Boat: hoping to buy a Hudson Venice model, 50 foot ketch, if I can find one that is?
How to meet a sailing lady?

I think this is perhaps not the right place to advertise for finding a lady to share a boat life with. So I just ask if maybe anyone knows the best forum or internet place to meet a lady with interest in sailing. The regular internet dating places are not so much for sailing people, and it is not much point meeting a woman who does not like sailing, if you want to live on board and cruise.
Jan Norway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 19:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I don't think there are any places in particular that have an abundance of single women that sail. Perhaps a yacht club but for most of the yacht clubs that I have been, the vast majority of the women are already married or are already attached in some way.

I would go to the usual dating services (e-Harmony, Match.com, etc) but put in your personality profile that you prefer a woman who likes to sail. Women who like to sail go to these same dating services.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 20:11   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
If lunch isn't good enough I might have a spare.....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 22:55   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Try Plenttyoffish.com or if you have had wine and feel brave, try Craigslist.com and offer to take someone sailing. Plentyoffish is free and overall better than Match or Harmony. Fill your profile out here. Try the Lattitudes and Attitudes board and post in the singles section. If that is wrong to say here, feel free pull this post.

Plentyoffish.com is really your best internet source.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 22:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

The man has had his wine and is feeling frisky.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2009, 23:33   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I think this may be a decent place...we've seen a couple ladies looking for a good ship here.
I think SeaGypsy was one?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 04:31   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Not here i would think- but then ,anywhere is a good place-im single -

Im just the average guy so i put an ad on crewfinders once and had more woman wanting to be with me then you could shake a stick at-just word it right-
but then i met a girl wile in Greece,and she kept me there a year and then i met a girl in Italy,and she kept me there for months and then in Turkey, and then in America and then in France,China,ect,-seems I never met the woman i was in contact with online because there was always one THAT would show up and i would meet in person- I m still in contact with my online friends and think many woman love the idea of sailing , I beleave you will have no problum if you stop long enough and have your eyes open for the oppertunity along the way- my biggest problum is how do I tell the girl its time for me to leave?-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 04:53   #8

Boat: Riviera 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

That really made me laugh out loud. But if we are ever alongside anytime in the future, I will totally deny it.

Also love the site name plentyoffish.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
MoonlightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 05:24   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo.
Yeah they were a good band
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 08:47   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Most of the sailing ladies are in the same places as the sailing boats, sailing clubs and sailing events!
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 10:35   #11

What's with all this meeting stuff? You guys are pirates right? Didn't they just take the women?

Just joking. Not looking for a lynch mob. I got lucky enough to find a girl that is adventurous enough to live in a dumpster if that's what we happened to be doing that week so sailing won't be much of a problem for her. She overcame her fear of heights by skydiving. Sorry, just bragging a bit, I can't help it. Good luck to you man. Plenty of girls out there that haven't sailed but wouldn't be opposed to trying.
superA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 17:11   #12

Wow. this is totally OT but I gotta tell ya all. I went on that plentyoffish site earlier today, listed all my bad points, didn't list anything good about me at all (couldn't think of anything), and have already had loadsa hits!!! It's hillarious. You put in that you like xyz, and then it gives you a list of people with whom you are a " 99% match" and then, you go look at their details, and they are like 100% opposite of everything you said you like!!!

Jeez. My ideal match is a cross between Connie Rice and a chinese Panda Bear.
A reasonable person, accepts the Status Quo. An unreasonable person, wants to change it. All progress is therefore made by unreasonable people. Me, I'm just apathetic about the status quo. I think we want it back.
Old 21-03-2009, 17:13   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yeah they were a good band
Still are! They are still touring. Still Rockin all over the World.
Old 21-03-2009, 19:45   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I don't think there are any places in particular that have an abundance of single women that sail. Perhaps a yacht club but for most of the yacht clubs that I have been, the vast majority of the women are already married or are already attached in some way.
And if they're not...there's a reason!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2009, 19:50   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Not here i would think- but then ,anywhere is a good place-im single -

Im just the average guy so i put an ad on crewfinders once and had more woman wanting to be with me then you could shake a stick at-just word it right-
but then i met a girl wile in Greece,and she kept me there a year and then i met a girl in Italy,and she kept me there for months and then in Turkey, and then in America and then in France,China,ect,-seems I never met the woman i was in contact with online because there was always one THAT would show up and i would meet in person- I m still in contact with my online friends and think many woman love the idea of sailing , I beleave you will have no problum if you stop long enough and have your eyes open for the oppertunity along the way- my biggest problum is how do I tell the girl its time for me to leave?-
I think you nailed it...opps...I mean you need to be in the pool from whence you seek. I met wife #2 (or was it 4???) at the gate to the docks. Seriously, there are plenty of like minded people around boats who would like to meet someone decent. It is a lot easier being with someone that has been on a boat a few times rather than starting from scratch.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote