Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2016, 03:00   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
re: Grrrr..Brexit.

As Obama told Britain he will not deal separately for the nation outside of the EU, I rather suspect US visits might start to require visas...

When the tit for tat starts and then stops, the tat for tit begins.
Old 24-06-2016, 03:05   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Churchill said the best argument against democracy is a five minute chat with the average voter.
Erdoğan certainly is in agreement...
Old 24-06-2016, 03:15   #33

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Yawn...nostalgic UK Brit majority yearns for Empire, marches resolutely back to 19th century.
Not that that bureaucratic EU quagmire is exactly 21st cen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
that is also a good reason for the 3 million uk expats to sell up and return to the uk motherland,since they can no longer afford to live in Europe on meagre pensions having to pay for health care,visas ,devalued pound etc.

question is where are we going to put the influx of UK refugees from Europe in the uk as the situation worsens.
Soylent Green exports??

Enjoy your breakfast/dinner/supper as the timezone allows...

(this message approved by Number Six)

Old 24-06-2016, 03:32   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
As Obama told Britain he will not deal separately for the nation outside of the EU, I rather suspect US visits might start to require visas...

A bit of a hollow threat, considering Obama will be out of office (and good riddance I might add) 18 months prior to th UK exit.
Old 24-06-2016, 05:32   #35

Divorce doesn't have to be nasty.

But dividing the spoils is sometimes hard...

My unqualified opinion is that the internal regional bickering in the UK will be emphasized by the media, and the hard work of governing and regulation enforcement amid the re-wickering of commerce regulations will give the Guardian red meat to gnaw on.

Good thing the Brits collected all the guns a few years ago.
Old 24-06-2016, 06:06   #36

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Bye bye, it'll be a good example to others thinking about exit when English economy goes south. Now it's great opportunity to other parts of GB to abandon fast and collect the spoils ie get the companies willing to do business in the EU. If I were an investor some realty in Scotland might pay well..
Old 24-06-2016, 06:11   #37

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:

Obama has said many things that he did not mean. Of all the countries in the wold the UK will be the last to require visas in advance for travel to/from the US. Well, maybe Canada and UK are tied in this regard. I would not worry about it if you have a UK passport.

Frankly, many in the US would like to treat each EU country separately in regards to visa requirements. The US became alarmed at the EU insisting that all EU passports be treated equally in terms of visa requirements. That's just unrealistic like several other bizarre EU demands.
Old 24-06-2016, 06:14   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Obama has said many things that he did not mean. Of all the countries in the wold the UK will be the last to require visas in advance for travel to/from the US. Well, maybe Canada and UK are tied in this regard. I would not worry about it if you have a UK passport.

Frankly, many in the US would like to treat each EU country separately in regards to visa requirements. The US became alarmed at the EU insisting that all EU passports be treated equally in terms of visa requirements. That's just unrealistic like several other bizarre EU demands.
er.. no.
A European Union is the same requirements for all... not bizarre at all.

But ... USA likes to run its own set of rules...

Yes.. Im English however I lived there for 14 years with a green card... I can tell you what its like on the other side..

Plus much stricter rules for uk visiting the US than the other way round...
Old 24-06-2016, 06:17   #39

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Pity about Tahiti, as a UK passport holder you could just roll up and stay as long as you liked.
If all this non sense goes ahead then the Britishers will be treated the same as all the lesser mortals, with crew bonds and all that stuff.
Old 24-06-2016, 06:22   #40

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
er.. no.
A European Union is the same requirements for all... not bizarre at all.

But ... USA likes to run its own set of rules...

Yes.. Im English however I lived there for 14 years with a green card... I can tell you what its like on the other side..

Plus much stricter rules for uk visiting the US than the other way round...
I think it safe to predict that UK visitors to the US will not find it any harder in the future. It would be easier were it up to most people in the US. Let us hope that is one positive outcome of this debacle.

Well aware of the down side of travel restrictions. My passport has lots of extra pages.
Old 24-06-2016, 06:27   #41

Boat: Able 50

I wonder what will happen to all those thousands of retired Brits living in Spain and Portugal. Neither country will want to toss them out because they will take their money with them. Some kind of residency deal will have to be done.
Old 24-06-2016, 06:52   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

Nonsense. Mutual visa waivers between the UK and US have existed for many decades and have nothing to do with the EU. Nothing will change.

Furthermore, Obama did not say that he will "not deal separately with the nation outside of the UK" -- he said that the UK would "go to the end of the queue" with regard to a trade agreement. But this is also ridiculous nonsense -- because there is no trade agreement today with the EU at all anyway. So again, nothing whatsoever will change in the short term in trade relations between the US and Britain. In the medium term, it could be beneficial as it will be easier for the US and UK to agree on the terms, than it has been for the US and the EU (the TTIP). Furthermore, a trade agreement with Britain is the only trade agreement we can even imagine in the present xenophobic political climate in the U.S., which will be broadly popular. Americans by and large don't consider the UK to be a foreign country at all, and will welcome even broader and deeper ties of any kind.

So look for a broad consensus in the US to help both UK and EU ease the transition, which will be in everyone's interest. I guess a trade deal with the UK will go on the front, rather than back burner, notwithstanding what Obama said. I think Obama meant well with his statement -- thinking he was helping our old friends avoid a mistake -- but his remarks came off as very meddlesome (I think may have actually helped the "Leave" side in the referendum). Look for him to back down fast now and extend a hand.

The EU's is the the hardest position now -- if they make it too easy for Britain to leave, they will encourage others to follow. If they are too punitive -- they will hurt the EU economy badly, as there is a great deal of interdependence between the UK and rest of the EU. And if the EU economy is made even worse by this, that will also encourage others to leave. They are kind of screwed either way, so I sure don't envy them. There may be a role for the U.S. as a kind of mediator, allowing the EU to save some face.

We live in -- as they say -- interesting times. All I can say is that this is absolutely terrible for my business. Chances of my building that alu custom boat have just fallen significantly.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 24-06-2016, 07:28   #43

Omg what a lot of panic merchants 😛

Right now no one knows how much will change. Norway and Switzerland are not in the EU but they seem to have no problem with boats in the EU waters.

It all may depend on Merkel, if she wants to punish the UK to discourage others or if everyone looks after their own best interests.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 24-06-2016, 07:30   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

I am not sure that what happens with the U.K. When it leaves is really going to be all that predictive of how it would effect other countries.

First the UK always retained its own currency, which is a huge plus for leaving. All of the monetary policies are in place for maintaining the currency, heck even the printing plates are available. It can take years to design and print enough currency to keep a country running, it sounds trivial but it's important.

Second, it is physically isolated enough that there are effectively zero people commuting to work across the boarder. Unlike on the mainland where it is not uncommon to live in X, work in Y, and shop in Z. Briton simply doesn't have this issue.

Third, the U.K. is one of the strongest economies in the EU. Meaning whatever the economic hit is, the U.K. will do better than most. Plus it is a large enough trading block to pry open the doors to the EU. There would be real problems for the EU to implement harsh trade sanctions against them.

That being said I think this is going to be a very painful lesson to the UK population that financial guys know what they are talking about. A devaluation of the £ by 12% overnight is a massive hit to the economy, a lot of high paying jobs are already planning on moving, and it's not going to get better quickly.

All in all I think this was a major mistake but I guess time will tell.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Old 24-06-2016, 07:59   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post

Enjoy your breakfast/dinner/supper as the timezone allows...

(this message approved by Number Six)

But, But.... Number 6 was not a number.

What interesting times we live in. UK leaving the EU, Folks in France and and Italy wanting to leave the EU too.

Makes Trump for president look not to bad......Oh wait, it's still bad.
Closed Thread