Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 15:59   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to woodymr
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Oh and I did try to call supervisor while waiting for next bridge opening but phone wouldn't get signal!
Old 15-01-2014, 16:02   #17

Snore...That's so not.... too funny!
Old 15-01-2014, 16:03   #18

Another round for all, on me!
Old 15-01-2014, 16:25   #19

OK, One more Fla. police boater abuse story before bed.... A Green Cove Springs City police officer actually pulled a sailors kayack out of the water at the public dock and drug it down the long pier and hooked it up to his car bumper and drug it across the pavement to the station where the guy went to complain about it being stolen when he came back from the store, spending money in thier po-dunk suburb of Jacksonville, claiming to be a township just to tax the hell out of ya..The guy is a real sweet person, he just finally had enough of the abuse and left the area, which is what all of us liveaboards have the ability to do when the need arises. Just reminds me of the awful human condition on the Outer Banks as well as Newfoundland where shore dwellers would fly signal lamps purposely guiding sailing ships aground to plunder thier cargo. Nothings really changed expect making thievery legal in some circles ie; politicians.
Old 15-01-2014, 18:25   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

couldn't help myself At least they are causing no harm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DONUTS 2.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	74045   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONUTS 4.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	74047  

Name:	DONUTS 5.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	74048   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONUTS 6.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	74049  

Name:	DONUTS 7.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	74050   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONUTS 8.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	74051  

Name:	DONUTS 9.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	74052   Click image for larger version

Name:	DONUTS 10.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	74053  

Name:	DONUTS 12.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	74055  
Attached Images

Old 15-01-2014, 19:40   #21

The FWC has been getting a lot of bad press in Florida lately...Killing bears for no reason and harassing boaters...What does FWC stand for anyway ?? I thought it was Fish and Wildlife but must be something else..
Old 16-01-2014, 03:54   #22

FWC- Florida Wildlife and Conservation
Old 16-01-2014, 04:07   #23

Interestingly enough? When I used to go Rainbow Gatherings in the National Forests with my hippie friends, a task force of LEO's ie; Law Enforcement Officers who by the way used to be park rangers then started wearing guns and being trained in "terrorist" crowd control, actually followed us from year to year,state to state taking our photos and such. Giving harrassing, federal mind you, tickets for illegal camping in the woods. Of course your average TV dinner citizen would say "them naked hippies smoking them drugs and frolicking through the forest should be locked up!
Old 16-01-2014, 15:23   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymr View Post
FWC- Florida Wildlife and Conservation
Huh.---- I always thought Florida Water Cops.

If its Wildlife & Conservation, why do they harass you for non-wildlife or conservation items? Just saying. This is interesting. Are they really chartered to screw with life jackets, flairs, extinguishers etc. or are they stretching their boundaries?
Old 16-01-2014, 15:43   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Huh.---- I always thought Florida Water Cops.

If its Wildlife & Conservation, why do they harass you for non-wildlife or conservation items? Just saying. This is interesting. Are they really chartered to screw with life jackets, flairs, extinguishers etc. or are they stretching their boundaries?

That's what I say....Seems like they do everything but preserving fish and wildlife.
Old 16-01-2014, 16:17   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's been a long time ago, but they boarded my Brothers 45 ft Sportfisherman for a un asked for safety inspection. The opened everything, pulled open every drawer and dumped the contents in the floor looking at the bottom of the drawers, when they had stripped everything and dumped it all on the floor and didn't find anything illegal, they left without any explanation or apology.
Old 16-01-2014, 16:24   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I respect freedoms and I am always disappointed when I hear of people who are burdened by harsh treatment from over zealous bureaucrats; however, I am also starting my 43rd year of living aboard, cruising and anchoring throughout Florida without having yet been unfairly treated by any authority. Once in 1986 I did receive a citation in Volusia County when I was returning from the Bahamas with an expired registration. I recevied the appropriate fine an was treated professionally. Since that time in 1986 I was cautioned by a law enforcement officer in the harbor of St. Augustine to slow my dinghy near the docks. I slowed and showed him my life jackets upon request,- no real event. I've anchored in locations within every 35 miles from Fernandina to Tarpon Springs for as long as three months at a time without ever being approached by any authority. I'm not saying this to refute different accounts, but only to share my experience. I don't know if I'm doing anything different from some others. It can't be my behavior in response to authority because I've just not had the events of interaction. Maybe it's just chance, but I've had decades of cruising in Florida without hassle of any kind.
Old 16-01-2014, 16:27   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It's been a long time ago, but they boarded my Brothers 45 ft Sportfisherman for a un asked for safety inspection. The opened everything, pulled open every drawer and dumped the contents in the floor looking at the bottom of the drawers, when they had stripped everything and dumped it all on the floor and didn't find anything illegal, they left without any explanation or apology.
In Michigan & Ohio, Non-fed cops need probable cause. They can't board without permission unless they can reasonably speculate probable cause. Mind you, they are good at making stuff up.
Old 16-01-2014, 16:44   #29

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

I lived in Florida for seven years, the vast majority of my encounters with FWC were great, though I've heard some horror stories.

I had one threaten to ticket me for violating this law:

68B-4.0086 Hook and Line Gear: Tending Requirement.
Beginning January 1, 1993, hook and line gear used in or on the waters of the State shall be tended. The term “tended” for purposes
of this rule means that the person fishing the gear is physically present at the terminus of the gear.
Specific Authority Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. Law Implemented Art. IV, Sec. 9, Fla. Const. History–New 11-26-92, Formerly 46-4.0086.

I was on the other side of the pier from where my rod was (about 20ft) watching a buddy fish. I laughed out loud, as did everyone present. He saw some other imagined violation down the pier and took off.

Another friend of mine got a ticket for snorkeling without a dive flag even though she was snorkeling right next to someone who did have a flag. It wasn't "her" dive flag. She almost went to jail over that, she went ballistic on the pig.
Old 16-01-2014, 16:45   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I wasn't there, and this was about the time the Fl beaches would have square grouper wash up. I can only assume he fit the profile?
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men