Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 07:06   #1

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Thumbs up Who is getting the Work done?

I know that the East Coast is getting clobbered from St Pete to Portland but we out West are getting ready. By the end of the next three weeks I will have all the bright work done, engine serviced, new furler and bobstay. Electronics already done. Woohoo! First cruise starts June1.
Who is braving the elements back there and getting the work done?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Who is getting the Work done?

I'm in North Carolina, and despite a few rainy days, the outfit is going as planned. Should be back in the water in about 2 weeks!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:46   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's been raining, hard in the Fl Panhandle, but there is actually more interior work that I need to do than exterior anyway, fun stuff, like re-building heads
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:24   #4

When I rebuilt my head, yanked every hose, even cut out the mount for the throne. Put it all back in PVC. Pulled the old, nasty, leaky SS holding tank. It was totally calcified. I could barely lift it. As I was staggering up the dock I encountered two elderly ladies returning from poodle exercise. I had on a full biohazard suit including respirator and goggles, was covered in poo.....never saw those two move so fast in the opposite direction.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:50   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

well I am yet again bombarded with and suffering from too much sunshine and 80 degree temperatures here in California. But then again, I've not had a winter layup either.

I've been doing a little wood working, which I'm not very good at. But at least I work cheap.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:26   #6

Boat: Wittholz 39' Cutter by Kanter, CSY 37 Cutter

SC34, "I've been doing a little wood working, which I'm not very good at. But at least I work cheap."

Cheap is good, BUT good wood work is better. Measure 3 times, cut once. Make templates to insure fit before cutting the good wood. Ask me how I know...

I am just finishing the remolding of the CSY's salon for more storage. Now oiling the teak trim after painting the new marine ply storage areas. We now have a settee berth that will hold a heavy guest. No PINK trim on my oldie....LOL
brutb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 16:49   #7

Hardly got onboard during winter. Only when the snow melted enough between the Polar Vortex blizzards Recently got back on and made some real good progress partially dismantleing the Hillerange Stove on board as I rethink how I cook with propane on board. Need to touch up the grab rails maybe this weekend. Having electrical propulsion has meant zero motor issues and no strange fluids in the bilge to investigate. Not much that needs to be done before launch but, always something to do.
Old 01-05-2014, 21:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutb View Post
SC34, "I've been doing a little wood working, which I'm not very good at. But at least I work cheap."

Cheap is good, BUT good wood work is better. Measure 3 times, cut once. Make templates to insure fit before cutting the good wood. Ask me how I know...

I am just finishing the remolding of the CSY's salon for more storage. Now oiling the teak trim after painting the new marine ply storage areas. We now have a settee berth that will hold a heavy guest. No PINK trim on my oldie....LOL

Oddly I'm modifying my Salon too, so that grumpy cat and I can both be on it at the same time.

Well I have that engineering thingy going for me. So I made plans then transferred the layouts to the plywood. All went perfect, except somebody forgot to subtract the thickness of the top plywood from the sides. So three small field cuts. Besides that it all fit perfect, well mostly perfect in that no additional cuts were needed. Done at anchor too.

I must say that painting my exterior teak hot pink (over varnish) really cuts down on my exterior maintenance, as in zero maintenance. Plus it makes the boat easier to find at dusk.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 22:58   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

I should be in the water next week. Over the past few months I have replaced 9 port lights, put in a new shaft seal, repainted the hull from the gunwale to the bottom of the keel, refurbished the interior teak and cabin sides, installed a wind vane, and done a bunch of engine stuff.

The weather has not been too much of an impediment of late, although it was hard last month as it refused to warm up which made coating and epoxy work a bit challenging.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54   #10

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Who is getting the Work done?

I have just replaced the bearings and blades on my AirX gen. Dead simple jobs. There's even a Utoob vid on getting the bearings out.

Blades $60
Bearings 22
Beer 14
Snap Ring Pliers 15

Satisfaction Level: Very High
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:18   #11

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Somehow I have three boats right now. I have been working in the fishing boat. Given the recent weather, I can confirm that the main hatch and both opening ports leak like sieves. The stereo, structurescan brain, and AIS receiver are installed, along with the new transducer and an additional switch panel and 12v outlet. The new angled socket for the all-around light is in (oops, when I put the rocket launcher rod holders in a couple of years ago, I put them in front of the old socket). A new LED red/white wheelhouse light is in. Still need to wire the NMEA 0183 circuit so the AIS receiver can communicate with the plotter, and neaten up the stereo speaker wires, and reinstall the batteries after epoxying the base, which was glued in with a little bead of what looks like liquid nails that came unstuck. In other words, the batteries were essentially unsecured. Oh, yeah, I also put in a ACR and that switch that Maine Sail doesn't like much, although he probably wouldn't mind it for a day-tripping 22 foot fishing boat with an outboard. I'll be happier turning the outboard off for a drift now, knowing the fish finder and structurescan can't suck the start battery down.

This weekend it should be dry and warm enough for me to put four coats of Interprotect on the big sailboat's saildrives. The Volvo mechanic guys are so far behind at their yard that I will probably have to postpone having them replace the bellows until next year. There are many other projects on that boat, but only a couple that need to be done before splashing. The summer slip is waiting!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 04:59   #12

Yeah, if you could judge the economy by how busy all the boat yards are, things seem to be booming.
I stripped and refinished the companion way door, 9 coats of Cetol. Gonna put that back on today. Bright work, big time this year. I am afraid I sailed too much and sanded too little in 2013.
Old 03-05-2014, 13:54   #13

Very frustrating, waiting for a front to pass so I can get back to the sanding....I may not sail on a schedule but I sure want to get this work done on time. Arrrgh!
Old 03-05-2014, 20:14   #14

Boat: Orca 38

Windlass install is almost complete. I'm going to put interior trim on hold until next winter.

Last summer I spent on the hard, this summer I'm sailing my ass off!
Old 04-05-2014, 12:22   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Windlass install is almost complete. I'm going to put interior trim on hold until next winter.

Last summer I spent on the hard, this summer I'm sailing my ass off!
Considering a new windlass myself. It takes too long to raise 200 ft of all chain rode. Makes it tough when single handed in tight quarters. Likely will wait till next year though. New furler for the Yankee will drain the money this year.
Right now, can't do doodly with all this rain!