Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2017, 05:09   #1

Are you a diver?

I'd like to become dive certified, but I'm very afraid of being in the water.

I'm not afraid of the water itself, its the things in the water. I have the unrealistic fear, especially in this murky chocolate milk type of water we have on the gulf coast, that I'll be swimming along with no visibility and all of a sudden being grabbed and/or stumbling across a dead body. Don't ask me where I came up with that, but I work in law enforcement and I've seen one too many horror movies I guess. I'm also from South Louisiana, so we don't get in water we can't see the bottom of either because you never know whats lurking below.

I also don't like fish touching me. When I was younger, my parents took us to Perdido Key FL for vacation, and I remember the mullet pecking at my heiny while floating in an inner tube. Ever since then I can't stand to be in water I can't see the bottom of. I love to fish, but can't even stand wade fishing.

While we were in St. Maarten last month I really enjoyed snorkeling, but the only thing that bothered me was the limited vision. The peripheral vision blocked by the mask was a bit overwhelming.

So did any of you have the same fears when you started? And if so, how did you overcome them?
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote