Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 07:18   #106

Boat: Crowther Custom Performance Cat
Re: Are we alone?

Long day cruising, at anchor, pitch dark above and beautiful starry night. We spend many evenings up on the bow gazing at the stars having conversations about things such as life out there. IMHO, we are not alone - in having such discussions while sailing. Maybe we are not alone, so relevant post for this sailing site. As relevant as how to tie a monkey fist or bantering about composting toilets versus using pump out system (or a plain old bucket) .... but do the aliens appreciate sailing as a mode of transportation or an activity. Boating requires a romantic affinity for the water. Sailing brings out the poet, the dreamer, the adventurer in each of us. Why the hell do it otherwise? It is slower, more expensive and more cumbersome than most other modes of travel. Yet here we are, each of us loving boat cruising enough to subscribe to a site where we can wax nostalgic and trade knowledge about the subject as the winter stove shines a cherry red glow on the wall through the early evening twilight. I think the real question is do aliens have the capacity to appreciate boating? Cause if they do, we have more competition for the prime anchorage spots.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:09   #107

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

AND, the discussions about these interactions is a vital part of cruise planning...shall we sail in the Bermuda Triangle??
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh common on, it's clearly relevant. Interactions with "aliens" is a key aspect of the cruising life .
Old 11-01-2021, 08:19   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
In 1947 it was widely predicted that everyone would be routinely traveling everywhere in "Flying cars". What happened to that prediction. ?lol
True, but few of them predicted the internet. In the futuristic movie Bladerunner they had flying cars, but used a psy phobe type thing with a video screen to make a call. So they were far ahead on some and far behind on others. I'm glad they got flying cars wrong. Watching the average driver, car parts would be raining down on us almost continually.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:43   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyHappy View Post
True, but few of them predicted the internet. In the futuristic movie Bladerunner they had flying cars, but used a psy phobe type thing with a video screen to make a call. So they were far ahead on some and far behind on others. I'm glad they got flying cars wrong. Watching the average driver, car parts would be raining down on us almost continually.

I think most futurists anticipated some sort of universal networking, just not the specifics. But wow just about everyone missed the smartphone. If the first Star Trek had combined the communicator with the tricorder, they would have been closest. At least they had hot aliens.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:55   #110

Being in an Lone anchorage or at sea in the middle of the night. I seen some strange things that are not easy to understand
Old 11-01-2021, 09:10   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I think most futurists anticipated some sort of universal networking, just not the specifics. But wow just about everyone missed the smartphone. If the first Star Trek had combined the communicator with the tricorder, they would have been closest. At least they had hot aliens.
I was thinking of one particular use of the web but you're correct, most did predict some form of web type system.

I just saw it again recently and that part really stuck out this time. I was thinking "you have flying cars but haven't gotten past the pay phone?" It amused me.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:23   #112

Boat: C&C 37, 1985

Cruising related? Sure! For most of us, falling off the edge of the earth is thankfully not supposition. As for being alone, alas, even the Restaurant at the End of the Universe succumbed to the great void.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:31   #113

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDarci View Post
Long day cruising, at anchor, pitch dark above and beautiful starry night. We spend many evenings up on the bow gazing at the stars having conversations about things such as life out there. IMHO, we are not alone - in having such discussions while sailing. Maybe we are not alone, so relevant post for this sailing site. As relevant as how to tie a monkey fist or bantering about composting toilets versus using pump out system (or a plain old bucket) .... but do the aliens appreciate sailing as a mode of transportation or an activity. Boating requires a romantic affinity for the water. Sailing brings out the poet, the dreamer, the adventurer in each of us. Why the hell do it otherwise? It is slower, more expensive and more cumbersome than most other modes of travel. Yet here we are, each of us loving boat cruising enough to subscribe to a site where we can wax nostalgic and trade knowledge about the subject as the winter stove shines a cherry red glow on the wall through the early evening twilight. I think the real question is do aliens have the capacity to appreciate boating? Cause if they do, we have more competition for the prime anchorage spots.
And someone? else to race against.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:36   #114

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
The measurement of time is certainly man-made but the passage of time is real, otherwise there’d be no tides, for instance.
But not everything is necessarily travelling through time at the same rate.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:46   #115
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Are we alone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlepera View Post
Being in an Lone anchorage or at sea in the middle of the night. I seen some strange things that are not easy to understand

I know, I know, you should see Italians Re anchoring at night after dragging, very strange
Old 11-01-2021, 12:48   #116

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Strange signals?? The apes have figured out WiFi....................
Old 11-01-2021, 14:21   #117

Boat: Jeanneau NC11, 11m

We are all made from the same star dust, so if you can tap into spirit we are already connected to any thing and every thing all the time.

It alters your thinking and respect to our earth and every thing else
Old 11-01-2021, 14:42   #118

Highly unlikely. I doubt that we will be recognisable (as humans) by the time we find other life, or whether the other life is anything like as intelligent as we think we are.
Old 12-01-2021, 14:10   #119

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Special Relatively doesn't actually preclude faster-than-light travel. What is impossible is to accelerate a mass to the speed of light. At that point everything goes to infinite (infinite energy, infinite mass, zero time).

But if you push the calculations beyond C (the speed of light) the equations shift into imaginary numbers, but without infinites. It makes no physical sense; afterall, what's an imaginary number? But this is where the concept of tachyon particles comes from in sci-fi.

My pet notion is that all we need to do is get as close to C as physically possible, then use quantum tunneling to simply skip over the speed of light.

Maybe all we need is a really big sail .
Mike, I’ve heard team NZ already have that tech.
Old 12-01-2021, 14:55   #120

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Mike, I’ve heard team NZ already have that tech.

Sure seems like, don't it .
Closed Thread