Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 09:14   #61

Re: What's Necessary to Liveaboard in the PNW in Comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
So the consensus, using that term very loosely, so far is something like this:

short-term:
  • tie in Webasto to hot water heater
  • consider upgrading water heater if the PO has to replace it anyway
  • upgrade the 55amp alternator to 100amp
  • inventory the lights, switch out to led as much as possible
  • acquire some fans

mid-term:
  • consider 200-300 watts of solar after some usage without
  • monitor moisture in the winter, consider insulation

longer term:
  • consider adding more chain, but maybe in year 2
  • defer generator until we have more facts/experience
  • consider watermaker or replacing holding tank with water tank (necessitates composting head)

Also consider:
  • cooking methods
  • refrigeration use

And most importantly, don't sh*t where you swim

Great stuff!
Are you able to use the rope rode on your windlass? IF not then get the chain now. You will thank me. 100 ft of chain with a 40lb anchor on it aint light! Not uncommon to anchor in 45-50 ft of water at times, so you'll be pulling 200-250 ft of rode.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 11:08   #62

Boat: Niagara 35

I think you missed the 200 to 300' of floating line on a spool you'll need foot stern tying.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-04-2015, 11:19   #63

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
  • monitor moisture in the winter, consider insulation
Looks like you are sorting it out with some this thread. I think you will find that insulation is a "must" not a "consider" but that all depends on how well insulated the boat is to start. If you don't plan to live aboard in the colder months you could put it off. Insulation makes a huge difference and we are not talking heating costs here.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 11:37   #64

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
I think you missed the 200 to 300' of floating line on a spool you'll need foot stern tying.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I am, unfortunately, 1000 miles away from the boat and I didn't see the line, but the inventory on the offer stated 240' stern line so I guess I can always go back to the owner if its not there.

I've been rereading the electrical chapter of A Voyager's Handbook and it is slowly but surely starting to make sense. Beth allows for using the diesel to recharge the batteries in her moderate scenario but I've always been told it is too much wear and tear.

Opinions?
Old 26-04-2015, 15:13   #65

Floating line isn't very expensive to buy if it's not in inventory, just get enough to run it ashore and back to the boat.

For those that aren't in or near Canada, it is perfectly legal to dump overboard except in no discharge zones like harbors. Victoria, the capital of BC, sends all it's waste directly into the strait.

I charge my batteries with engine hours but I don't like it unless I am going somewhere. The price of solar has come down so far that I will be able to afford more than the small panels I have now very soon. It used to be that running your motor was the only way to charge, but generators have gotten smaller and smaller. I don't care for the noise though, so I am going to add solar and someday wind generators.
Old 26-04-2015, 15:21   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Here's a link that may be of use in your looking to add small wind generating

affordable wind turbines made in the USA
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:16   #67

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I don't think you should worry about wear and tear on your diesel engine, particularly when planning this summer. You really shouldn't delay your summer cruising by spending a lot of time adding goodies in the first year. Next fall will be soon enough. BTW marine diesels in sailboats rarely die from excessive engine hours; they die from too little use, poor maintenance, and poor care (such as inadequate cooling, salt water causing corrosion, etc). The few hours you spend charging batteries won't make much difference. Besides you will likely be doing a fair bit of motoring anyway.

Instead of asking what you should add to that list, ask what is absolutely necessary for this summer and punt the rest. You and your boat need experience together before making these decisions. I would happily take your boat as is to Alaska; it is not my image of a perfect boat, but more than close enough. Save your money and start cruising now. You have a short summer to enjoy and a long winter to work on the boat.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:37   #68

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkeno View Post
Floating line isn't very expensive to buy if it's not in inventory, just get enough to run it ashore and back to the boat.

For those that aren't in or near Canada, it is perfectly legal to dump overboard except in no discharge zones like harbors. Victoria, the capital of BC, sends all it's waste directly into the strait.

I charge my batteries with engine hours but I don't like it unless I am going somewhere. The price of solar has come down so far that I will be able to afford more than the small panels I have now very soon. It used to be that running your motor was the only way to charge, but generators have gotten smaller and smaller. I don't care for the noise though, so I am going to add solar and someday wind generators.
I've never had a wind generator but what I've read about them adding one because you don't like noise might be mistake. They can be pretty noisy.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 21:30   #69

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Yep, the high performance ones can be noisy. With the drop in solar prices it makes sense to max out on solar before pursuing wind. Consider that most anchorages are protected from the wind anyway. And even if there is wind you may choose not to use a wind gen out of courtesy to your fellow cruisers anchored nearby.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 21:53   #70

Boat: youngquist viking 34

Scouts suggestion about tow insurence is spot on sea tow pulled out of the sound last I heard so I switched to boat us. I used each once, both companies treated me right. Well worth the 150 bucks a year just for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 22:04   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Yep, the high performance ones can be noisy. With the drop in solar prices it makes sense to max out on solar before pursuing wind. Consider that most anchorages are protected from the wind anyway. And even if there is wind you may choose not to use a wind gen out of courtesy to your fellow cruisers anchored nearby.

Greg
I have several around me and I don't hear them at all it depends on the design and shape of the blades i suppose YMMV
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:50   #72

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post

Greg
I agree. I can't remember the last time I was in an anchorage in the PNW in summer and had enough wind to turn a wind generator. The OP will be at a marina for the winter.

Wind generators are great in some parts of the world, but I think all they'll do in the PNW (in summer) is shade the solar panels.
Old 27-04-2015, 10:04   #73
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

from my limited experience of living there - What's Necessary to Liveaboard in the PNW in Comfort?

" a house "
Old 27-04-2015, 10:22   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
from my limited experience of living there - What's Necessary to Liveaboard in the PNW in Comfort?

" a house "
Best answer yet!! If your the type that needs a hot shower every morning then maybe sailing isn't the best idea. Same with watching movies all day. There is so much out there to see. Birds, otters wales. I enjoy watching the racoons play on the beach. Or putting on the weather gear">foul weather gear to go hiking in the woods. Life is so much better in person than on tv.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 11:17   #75

Boat: Liberty 458

We live aboard and use 10 gall water per day, an average of 90 Ahrs / day. 5 gall gas lasts 3 months. We cook and bake daily. We live aboard in San Francisco bay so we dont use our Espar diesel heater much.

We sail often and use less than 50 gall of diesel per year.

We live well, we arent camping but we do live modestly.

The single biggest change we made was to get rid of AC loads. We switched most to 12V. There are many parasitic loads from DC to AC to DC conversion.

Your solar capacity sounds low but the PNW is not blessed with sun or wind. You might be generating power with a genny each day. You can heat your hot water at the same time.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard