Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 09:44   #46

Boat: Scout 30
Re: What's Necessary to Liveaboard in the PNW in Comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
The big issue I would have with a completion head in inland/ costal waters what do you do with all the urine that you have to separate out.
Are you seriously worried about pissing into the ocean?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 09:56   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Are you seriously worried about pissing into the ocean?
No I am not however read the regs on overboard discharge of un treated sewage I would bet the USCG will be if they catch you dumping it after it has been collected in a system that was designed to collect sewage. ( I don't want to give them a reason to board me not to mention the fine they would levy if you are caught by them
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 10:06   #48

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
The big issue I would have with a completion head in inland/ costal waters what do you do with all the urine that you have to separate out.
We are preparing to install a composting toilet [Natures Head] in one of our heads. Currently both heads have holding tanks, so we are also considering diverting the urine from the composting toilet to the existing holding tank for that head, which is rigged for the usual pump-out through the deck or overboard. This would provide us with the same options we now have, only with far more capacity since it is urine only and no flush water...

When in near-shore waters [i.e., not in a marina...] we could also keep it really simple and just empty the portable liquid tank overboard when it isn't inappropriate...

Time will tell...
Old 25-04-2015, 10:23   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
We are preparing to install a composting toilet [Natures Head] in one of our heads. Currently both heads have holding tanks, so we are also considering diverting the urine from the composting toilet to the existing holding tank for that head, which is rigged for the usual pump-out through the deck or overboard. This would provide us with the same options we now have, only with far more capacity since it is urine only and no flush water...

When in near-shore waters [i.e., not in a marina...] we could also keep it really simple and just empty the portable liquid tank overboard when it isn't inappropriate...

Time will tell...
Sounds like a great idea and you seem to have thought that aspect out verry well.
It is easy to see who does and who does not know what the pnw actually means great year round cruising but most n ppl here would be called eco freeks or tree huggers by people that don't understand the ecosystem here.
Also just to let ppl know there are many people here that make a good living off of the finders fee paid to pollution whistle blowers.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 10:33   #50

Quote:
No I am not however read the regs on overboard discharge of un treated sewage I would bet the USCG will be if they catch you dumping it after it has been collected in a system that was designed to collect sewage. ( I don't want to give them a reason to board me not to mention the fine they would levy if you are caught by them
The C-Head uses a 1 gallon milk jug for urine or you can divert it to a holding tank which makes no sense to me. Unless your urine is laced with uranium I think it's OK to dump it overboard. I'm not sure how the Coast Guard would ever catch you doing that & I can't imagine that they would ever care in the first place.
Old 25-04-2015, 10:37   #51

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
The C-Head uses a 1 gallon milk jug for urine or you can divert it to a holding tank which makes no sense to me. Unless your urine is laced with uranium I think it's OK to dump it overboard. I'm not sure how the Coast Guard would ever catch you doing that & I can't imagine that they would ever care in the first place.
Clearly you've never run into an overly diligent official quoting "The law is the law!" Always my least favourite type of enforcement personnel but unfortunately all too omnipresent...

As for composting heads I have on ongoing argument about which offends the squeamish more: the marine head or the composting head. The debate rages on...
Old 25-04-2015, 10:53   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Clearly you've never run into an overly diligent official quoting "The law is the law!" Always my least favourite type of enforcement personnel but unfortunately all too omnipresent...

As for composting heads I have on ongoing argument about which offends the squeamish more: the marine head or the composting head. The debate rages on...
I had no intention of hijacking this thread, which I think is a good one. Just thought that the extra water tankage would be valuable for a live aboard.

For what it's worth we've run our own experiment regarding the effects of pumping directly overboard. After going to the bathroom my wife pumped the head with me actually in the water directly adjacent to the through hull. There was literally no adverse effect although it should be noted that I've been taking her **** for quite a few years now so I may have built up an immunity.
Old 25-04-2015, 11:17   #53

I don't think dumping over will be a problem in BC at all. Just do it out of the harbor...
However, I certainly don't get ..."There was literally no adverse effect..."....?
I don't know about you, but **** floating around me does have that effect! Don't go into the water on a crowded anchorage to clean your boat bottom in the am that's for sure... In places like Georgetown the water has Baby Ruths and debris floating all over!
Once at a marina in Florida, we accidentally pumped over a small part of the holding tank... the entire area around the boat turned a yellow brown cloud...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 11:45   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I don't think dumping over will be a problem in BC at all. Just do it out of the harbor...
However, I certainly don't get ..."There was literally no adverse effect..."....?
I don't know about you, but **** floating around me does have that effect! Don't go into the water on a crowded anchorage to clean your boat bottom in the am that's for sure... In places like Georgetown the water has Baby Ruths and debris floating all over!
Once at a marina in Florida, we accidentally pumped over a small part of the holding tank... the entire area around the boat turned a yellow brown cloud...
It was a joke.
Old 25-04-2015, 11:48   #55

Boat: Hunter 386

So the consensus, using that term very loosely, so far is something like this:

short-term:
  • tie in Webasto to hot water heater
  • consider upgrading water heater if the PO has to replace it anyway
  • upgrade the 55amp alternator to 100amp
  • inventory the lights, switch out to led as much as possible
  • acquire some fans

mid-term:
  • consider 200-300 watts of solar after some usage without
  • monitor moisture in the winter, consider insulation

longer term:
  • consider adding more chain, but maybe in year 2
  • defer generator until we have more facts/experience
  • consider watermaker or replacing holding tank with water tank (necessitates composting head)

Also consider:
  • cooking methods
  • refrigeration use

And most importantly, don't sh*t where you swim

Great stuff!
Old 25-04-2015, 15:52   #56

Boat: Niagara 35

Looks like you have a plan, Macblaze!
Old 25-04-2015, 15:56   #57

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by foojin View Post

2. GVHA does have great winter berthing at great rates. It's not that hard to get in, just be prompt. Get an application in when they tell you to. We have done it, but now have a year round berth at Fishermans Wharf. Don't know what cwyckham means by no facilities, but toilets, showers, restaurants, bars, politicians, jugglers... what more do you need? And you don't have to pay anyone to have any technician/mechanic visit your boat.

I don't usually consider a politician a facility...

By no facilities, I meant that I didn't think that there were onshore washrooms, showers, or laundry for the people wintering there (the docks in front of the Empress). Am I wrong? I haven't stayed there myself, but friends have over-wintered there. I may have misunderstood.

I do agree the location is amazing, especially if you don't have a car. Some people winter in Oak Bay, but the holding isn't great and there seems to be somebody up on the beach many winters.

I'd also consider Sidney. Cute town with lots of marinas.
Old 25-04-2015, 17:09   #58

Boat: Tayana 37

cwyckham,

There are toilets, showers and laundry (key card access) for both the Causeway floats in front of the Empress and Wharf Street marina bit further north. The facilities are not as convenient to Causeway floats, but clean. We really liked it there, but had work and free parking over by FW so made the move when we came up on the waiting list.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 00:16   #59

Boat: youngquist viking 34

I still recommend the Honda generator compact quiet fuel efficient and if it saves you on time from the dead batteries on the hook it is worth it. Not that I ever left my battery switches in the wrong position and had to jump start myself in the morning. Well at least not twice, yet.
wooden head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 07:41   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden head View Post
I still recommend the Honda generator compact quiet fuel efficient and if it saves you on time from the dead batteries on the hook it is worth it. Not that I ever left my battery switches in the wrong position and had to jump start myself in the morning. Well at least not twice, yet.
I'm not sure how Tow Boat US or Sea Tow work in your area but I assume that they're probably pretty reliable there too. If you are getting it every year, like I do, & it covers where you plan to cruise they will jump your boat for free, bring you fuel or tow you to a marina if necessary. I've used it once when I ran into engine problems. The tow was free to me but Boat US sent me a copy of the bill they paid & it was around a $900 for a distance of less than 5 miles about 15 years ago.

Tags
liveaboard