Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2018, 10:34   #16

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A
Re: What sailboat is right for us?

Might want to take a look at Bayfields or Gozzards. The Gozzards will stretch the budget thou.
Really there are a lot of options here and alot depends on your definition of a boat to cross oceans.
Old 31-01-2018, 11:17   #17

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernBruce View Post
Our 32 foot Seaward Hake is for sale, 2009 always maintained. It is in Puerto Vallarta and we just reduced price to 74,000. We love the retractable keel, and the cabin is spacious. Our health is forcing us to sell. Email me bernadette59@hotmail.com if you are interested. ps closer to Panama!!
We have a Seaward 32RK and really like it. Fast, variable draft with the lifting keel and a very high quality boat overall. Heck with the mast raising system, you could do the French canals with it as well as the Great Loop. Then when you get near land again put it on the trailer and take it back to wherever you want. Talk about versatility. But that's why we bought it was for all the versatility...
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 12:31   #18

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

Hey, what's not really covered here is bridge clearance , I'm guessing about 45' max. A unstayed cat rig would check many boxes, Freedom, Hunter 32 & 27 Vision (huge beam), and others. They generally have short mast, short keels, and large beam.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 12:34   #19

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

And no chainplates, no standing rigging. Good luck
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 12:39   #20

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakno View Post
Hey, what's not really covered here is bridge clearance , I'm guessing about 45' max. A unstayed cat rig would check many boxes, Freedom, Hunter 32 & 27 Vision (huge beam), and others. They generally have short mast, short keels, and large beam.
Those Cat rigged boats are pretty neat. There's a guy local here that has one. Our Seaward has a 43' mast height. I guess you wouldn't even need the mast raising system if what you said about bridge height is correct.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 13:32   #21
KTP

Thanks for all of the responses...still muddling through them.

I think the Pogo 30 is very nice, although a little above our non stretched budget. I do think I would feel like I was in an Ikea store when down below decks though.

I think we want to start/stay a couple years in the Puget Sound as we just got 2018 snowmobiles and are using them around the mountains of Washington and on the land we purchased. Today though it is 49 and sunny and I would drive to Anacortes and go sailing right now if I had a sailboat there (have thought about trucking the Montgomery over there but again, it is a bit small for extended stay, especially in winter).

I do sort of agree with the idea of two boats, except that Washington dings you about 10% each time you buy something, plus you lose out when you sell, unless you just got lucky with a lowball offer when you bought. If I can figure out how to get those steal of a deals, I would be more willing to do the two different boat approach.

I like the Seaward 32RK, especially a 2009 version. Any chance that boat is coming up near Washington state in the future?

We saw a 1995 Freedom 35 for $84,000 located in B.C. It seems quite a high quality boat but the description does not indicate any real recent refit or upgrades. Still has the original Yanmar, the older version. How would you rate this boat?

listing: 1995 Freedom 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
KTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 14:54   #22

Boat: Scout 30

Regarding the IP31 I'd look for one of the later models with the larger Yanmar & stainless ports. A big plus of the Island Packets is the composite decks. Personally I think that for the inside passage & great loop a trawler makes the most sense, especially if you plan to live aboard. No matter what you get be sure & have a survey done.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 15:31   #23
KTP

The chainplates are the big sticking point on the IP for me. If I had not seen pictures of totally corroded chainplates that could be snapped in half by a overweight gerbil, I probably would have already bought the IP31.

I think external chainplates could be added to the IP31, maybe. It wouldn't look *that* bad. The thing is, why the factory kept burying them and then offer a $12,000 service to replace them every (recommended) 10 to 15 years.
Old 31-01-2018, 15:37   #24

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

It looks like the S/A crowd has done some of this work for you already:
Shoal Draft Cruiseworthy boats that sail well for under $50,000. - Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

The Islander 32 is a very nice boat mentioned (4-foot draft). The Islander 36 would also be affordable and up for the jog (I remember 5-foot draft for that one).
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 16:33   #25

I'm a big fan of pilothouses. Here's a few worth looking at.
1987 Cape Dory 300 Motor Sailer Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1984 Fisher Pilothouse Motorsailer Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1976 Fisher Northeaster Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 01-02-2018, 11:04   #26
KTP

Any opinion on a Irwin 38 Mk II from 1986 to 1990? They are center cockpit with a rear full queen bed (I am 6'6") and have a 4.5' shoal draft. Seem to be around $50k to $60k in various unknown conditions (about 10 available around the country).

I am trying to come to grips with the cost of ownership and our budget. We early retired on a fairly limited budget but are flexible what/where/how we live. Right now we pay $500 a month for 1bd room apartment in a mountain town while we are snowmobiling in the mountains, but the past summer we paid $0 a month to live in our RV on some land we own.

I think I could carve out $100,000 from our budget and just write it off as an experience. If I did that, I would want that $100,000 to encompass the cost of the boat, maintenance for 5 years, and insurance. Slip fees would be covered by the $500 a month we pay now since we would live aboard the boat full time when not at our mountain property in the RV.

So....$100k. Five years at $10k per year maintenance, plus $2k per year insurance means we should look for a $40,000 boat? We are engineers and I can do engine work, wiring, etc. but the marine parts are sometimes quite expensive and custom. When building the RV we had a 7000 pound cnc machine in our garage I had retrofitted, plus a metal lathe. Now I barely have a drill press.

$40k seems rather low for a liveaboard that is not in chicken coop condition. I just have no experience here as our Mongomery 17 was a steal at $11,000 nearly new and has cost us about $300 a year max (aside from the kick up rudder we bought for it).
Old 01-02-2018, 11:11   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
The chainplates are the big sticking point on the IP for me. If I had not seen pictures of totally corroded chainplates that could be snapped in half by a overweight gerbil, I probably would have already bought the IP31.

I think external chainplates could be added to the IP31, maybe. It wouldn't look *that* bad. The thing is, why the factory kept burying them and then offer a $12,000 service to replace them every (recommended) 10 to 15 years.
Any boat that doesnt have external chainplates has that possibility... which is most boats. Where the plate passes thru the deck can leak and trapped moisture with SS causes the problem.

As far as budget, once I left cruising my boat maintenance was very low, even with large boats. Mostly because I made the "right" before leaving. If you do that , then ongoing maintenance is very low for 3-5 years or more. Just bottom paint and a pump or something now and then really.... other than consumables like belts, oil, filters etc.

I have not owned an Irwin but have not come away very fond of the perceived quality from the ones I've been on. But there is a huge difference between considering 31 and 37 ft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30   #28

Looking at your new budget plan I'm thinking you need to go to a smaller boat but not a cheaper built boat. Smaller will decrease your acquisition costs and reduce your ongoing refit and maintenance costs...also makes it much easier to handle. Irwin Yachts of that size are a better choice for coastal cruising, in my opinion.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:39   #29

Given your position and budget of 40 grand I would find a nice Niagara 35. These boats are built very well and are shallow draft. They have a good history of crossing oceans and good all round boats
M
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:47   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTP View Post
Any opinion on a Irwin 38 Mk II from 1986 to 1990? They are center cockpit with a rear full queen bed (I am 6'6") and have a 4.5' shoal draft. Seem to be around $50k to $60k in various unknown conditions (about 10 available around the country).
Much lower quality than an Island Packet or Pacific Seacraft. The 37, 38 & 46 were built primarily for the charter market.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat