Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2017, 06:49   #1

Valued advice greatly received

Hi all,
Just putting this out there. I'm trying to by a beneteau Oceanis 440 to liveaboard in the uk. They are pretty scarce over here. Looks like I'll have to bring one back from Greece. Anybody done this before. Ive little sailing experience but lots of small motoring. Navigation won't be a problem for me just the practicalities of sailing.
Could I advertise for someone to join me for different legs of the journey if I paid expenses or would I be expected to pay a wage to someone?
Is it better to de rig and travel through French canals? I'd like to do this at some stage of my life.
Ive done shorebased ocean yacht master, vhf, sea survival course as I rowed the Atlantic a couple of years ago. (Took 7 weeks la gomera-Barbados as an unsupported pairs boat)
I know it's big for a first boat but once back home I've got lots of experienced sailing friends to take me out regular.
I'm not completely wealthy just retiring after nearly 30 years as a firefighter and have a bit of a lump sum pension to spend.
If anyone sees an Oceanis 440 for sale I'd love to view it. Budget about 60k. £s
Travel time constraints won't be a problem as I'll be retired.
Look forward to hearing from you with any tips/ pros and cons.
Many thanks
John

(Forgive me for cutting and pasting)
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:00   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Valued advice greatly received

A decent marketing effort should yield many volunteer shipmates.

Don't select for any attribute ahead of sailing expertise, ideally on same or similar boat. Have a trusted expert sailor take them out for a practical test - that's worth paying for.

Obviously security, some sort of background check, personal compatibility are also important.

Age is a positive
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Valued advice greatly received

Heres Apollo Ducks selection of Oceanis 440's.. 1 in Wales, 2 in Portugal, 1 in France and 1 in Greece..
https://www.apolloduck.com/search.ph...1&sr=1&q=1&x=0

However if you check Sailboat Datas page you'll see that they came under other names for the Charter Industry..
OCEANIS 440 (BENETEAU) sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

As for coming through the canals with a 1.80metre draft it could be sticky in some places..
Anyway.. hope this proves helpful and.. Best Wishes on your search..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:11   #4

Hi that's great thanks. I didn't realise they were different models of the same boat. That will give me more search choice. The one in wales has had a broken mast but he's put on a smaller mast and step fitted it. Not sure if I could get that insured? Could be a valid choice otherwise? Have also pm'd you. Many thanks. I do appreciate people's time and advice.
johnyhask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:46   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Valued advice greatly received

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnyhask View Post
Hi that's great thanks. I didn't realise they were different models of the same boat. That will give me more search choice. The one in wales has had a broken mast but he's put on a smaller mast and step fitted it. Not sure if I could get that insured? Could be a valid choice otherwise? Have also pm'd you. Many thanks. I do appreciate people's time and advice.
I'd pass on the Welsh boat.. have answered your message.. best to e-mail me via the link in the picture below this post..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 13:01   #6

Pm'd
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote