Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2017, 06:37   #1

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Stacked washer/dryer takes 4 sq feet...worth it?

Not much else to say about this question. The dryer takes a 220/240 volt genset. Roughly half of the gensets/generators offer 220/240 volts.

Four square feet is a significant space requirement on a boat. There is no question about that. Clean clothes and sheets are a necessity in the minds of many.

Laundromats are not always cheap or convenient.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 06:40   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Stacked washer/dryer takes 4 sq feet...worth it?

Those little rolling pressure washers and a clothesline do a fine job, not hard work either, no electricity required at all.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 06:48   #3
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Having drawn water by the pail from a village well or cistern, done laundry in an inflatable little swimming pool using a toilet plunger and run it up the mast to dry, I can tell you it's better to get Out There while you're young, lean and mean. Your chance may not come again. Yes, I change sheets weekly and, in torrid weather, pillow cases more often than that. And that's without an on-board laundry OR coin laundries. My friend did me one better. She had twins in diapers and also managed with hand laundry.
Old 25-06-2017, 06:53   #4

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Depends on where you are sailing. We carry enough clothes for at least a month between washes. Most places, we just drop off the laundry and pick-up folded the next day... all for about $20 in the Caribbean. Other places we coin laundry... again for about $20. I'd much rather have the space than the machines aboard.

Matt
Old 25-06-2017, 07:00   #5

Softdown: I just installed a small combo washer dryer in my aft cabin. Uses 120v and about 7 gallons of water per load. Works very well and cleans my clothes. I use my gen set when washing and drying at anchor. I live on my 41 Morgan ketch and there is space in my aft cabin for it. I do have a water maker so I can wash most anyplace. I wash about once a week and the washer does a fine job.
Kingwoodie
s/v The Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 07:00   #6

All great input so far....thanks.

My plan is a couple circumnavigations within a ten year time frame. Of course we all know how plans may go.

With three dogs, there are many places that I can not get close to. On the flip side, not many burglars can get close either. I have been robbed countless times. Long story that doesn't need to be aired out.
Old 25-06-2017, 07:13   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Think about cubic feet, not square feet.

The usual solution is not stacked, but combination washer/dryer -- so that washing and drying is done in the same drum. That reduces throughput because you can't wash and dry at the same time, and the drums are small, which reduces throughput even further, but it's really worth it for such a reduction of volume.

On-board laundry facilities are a real boon. Of course you can do clothes in a bucket or you can go to laundromats, but having on-board facilities really makes a big difference in comfort if you are on board long-term. It is not easy to find space for it, but I think it's usually possible somewhere for most boats 45' and up.

Concerning power -- if your boat is 110v, then it is possible to find washer/dryer combos which are also 110v. Power for laundry is not really any bigger challenge than for any other electrical appliance -- most watermakers will need as much power. It's possible also to run a washer/dryer off an inverter. I do this on our boat all the time. That requires either big alterntor or a big battery bank, of course.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 07:23   #8

Just bought a stacked washer/dryer that appears to be little used for $150. I buy almost all appliances used and know that used stacked washer/dryers are hard to find in Colorado.

I have never seen the even smaller units described here in used appliances. Colorado is a pretty weak state for boating.

A couple months ago I found a similar unit though it showed signs of more use and abuse. Dragged it halfway to the cashier before changing my mind and dragging it back.

Been "on the fence" for awhile as you can see.

I like being alone plenty but believe that occasional crews may be a nice change. Living comfortably would reduce crew irritation in a time of seemingly abounding snowflakes.

Plus clean sheets and clothes just feel so much better.

I have a Kubota genset with 120/240 output. May as well get 240 volt appliances. That is also the norm in much of the world.
Old 25-06-2017, 07:30   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdown View Post
Just bought a stacked washer/dryer that appears to be little used for $150. I buy almost all appliances used and know that used stacked washer/dryers are hard to find in Colorado.

I have never seen the even smaller units described here in used appliances. Colorado is a pretty weak state for boating.

A couple months ago I found a similar unit though it showed signs of more use and abuse. Dragged it halfway to the cashier before changing my mind and dragging it back.

Been "on the fence" for awhile as you can see.

I like being alone plenty but believe that occasional crews may be a nice change. Living comfortably would reduce crew irritation in a time of seemingly abounding snowflakes.

Plus clean sheets and clothes just feel so much better.

I have a Kubota genset with 120/240 output. May as well get 240 volt appliances. That is also the norm in much of the world.
Are you planning to do your circumnavigations on a 26' S2? That will be interesting trying to get a stacked washer/dryer on one of those.

240 volts 3 phase as used in the U.S. is not at all the 220v or 230v single phase used in the rest of the world.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:21   #10

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

I plan to install one of the RV combo units in my boat. 120 volts and it has both washer and drier functions in the same stainless front load drum. I don't expect to use the drier much, the spin cycle and a clothes line will do most of the drying but it will sure be nice to have the drier if needed. I also have figured out how to use the same water to do multiple loads, basically wash the "clean" stuff first, have the soapy water pumped out into a big pail, then the rinse water goes into another pail, then reuse the water for the next load of more dirty clothes. Adding a little rinse water to the wash to make up for the water lost in the clothes. I used the soapy wash water up to 4 times this way, then switching to reused rinse water to wash in and every time adding a little new soap, it you think it's necessary. I've been using the machine for about a year now on the dock, getting ready to figure out how and where to install it. It used to be wash in a 5 gal bucked with a flat special made bathroom type plunger with a T handle and then put the wash in a laundry ultra spinner to get the water out for much faster line drying. I was panning to install the ultra spinner, but now have decided on the RV washer/drier.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Are you planning to do your circumnavigations on a 26' S2? That will be interesting trying to get a stacked washer/dryer on one of those.

No.....closer to a 44'-47' range.

240 volts 3 phase as used in the U.S. is not at all the 220v or 230v single phase used in the rest of the world.
I used to sell single phase and three phase commercial yogurt machines. There is more to it than this. Three phase requires an electrician to install. Even in a commercial restaurant.

Though it is likely that their 220 volt differs from our "two legs from 110" 220. I think much of Europe uses about 170 volts AC. Using the same structure as our 110 on a higher voltage level. Better in so many ways...

I need to study this a bit though my goal is to avoid land services as much as possible. In my mind, a cruiser using land services is akin to a backpacker using city services. Though a well equipped backpacker is....well equipped.

EDIT: We are 60 cycle while much of the world is 50 cycle. Transformers are probably a requirement for lengthy cruising.
Old 25-06-2017, 08:27   #12

Boat: Outbound 46

We cruise in the Caribbean, and love our washer but have absolutely no use for a dryer. We can wash off of solar power, forget it for drying. And the sun makes a perfect and costless dryer.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheldatksuedu View Post
I plan to install one of the RV combo units in my boat. 120 volts and it has both washer and drier functions in the same stainless front load drum. I don't expect to use the drier much, the spin cycle and a clothes line will do most of the drying but it will sure be nice to have the drier if needed. I also have figured out how to use the same water to do multiple loads, basically wash the "clean" stuff first, have the soapy water pumped out into a big pail, then the rinse water goes into another pail, then reuse the water for the next load of more dirty clothes. Adding a little rinse water to the wash to make up for the water lost in the clothes. I used the soapy wash water up to 4 times this way, then switching to reused rinse water to wash in and every time adding a little new soap, it you think it's necessary. I've been using the machine for about a year now on the dock, getting ready to figure out how and where to install it. It used to be wash in a 5 gal bucked with a flat special made bathroom type plunger with a T handle and then put the wash in a laundry ultra spinner to get the water out for much faster line drying. I was panning to install the ultra spinner, but now have decided on the RV washer/drier.
Learn something new all the time. How much, approx, do these "dual duty" washer/dryer units costs?

Surprises like this are much of the reason that the bon voyage date keeps getting pushed back.

Much to my chagrin, every time I mention a cruising goal, boats are suddenly offered up for sale. I am a long way from buying a world cruiser.
Old 25-06-2017, 09:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
We cruise in the Caribbean, and love our washer but have absolutely no use for a dryer. We can wash off of solar power, forget it for drying. And the sun makes a perfect and costless dryer.
The Caribbean seems to be ideal cruising country in so many ways. Much more dog friendly than some parts of the South Pacific.

My washer/dryer combo only has one electrical cord, that one is 220/240. The last one I looked at was strictly 110/120. 220 offers a lot more drying power of course.

An adapter that goes from a dryer to a generator is at least $60...I will probably do it myself.
Old 25-06-2017, 09:23   #15

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Front loading washer/dryer unit, for apartment dwellers, is Manufactured by Hier. Clothes are slightly damp on completion due to the theory of, "over drying prevention."
Saving wear adds to the cruising kitty. Two cents, worth what you paid for it. [emoji16]
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote