Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 11:36   #1

Security

For liveaboards, what do you do for security? Dog, guns, samurai sword, nothing? How rampant is crime in marinas, and is it petty theft in general or violent crime?
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:40   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Security

i found life in marinas is most secure--better in mexico than usa. locks on boats are for show, as it is most easy to break into a boat.
in usa i locked m y boat. in mexico i am able to keep it open for fresh air.
same on anchor.
while anchored the only folks who stole anything from my boat were gringo cruisers with boats and dinghies.
locals were most helpful and honest
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 11:46   #3

That's good to know. Actually I wouldn't have much valuable items since the less you have the better. Probably a laptop and electronic gadgets for the boat would be the most sought after things.
Ragnar Lothbrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

There's gotta be many threads on this...
Docks with people 24/7 have less theft, maybe none. But many other things have an effect, too. Lighting, local economy, locked entry to docks, and so on. Also vehicle break ins can be a problem in many places. Remote anchorages can be a problem, too.
Personal protection that may provide security is determined by the individual. I don't think it's a good idea to advertise what security items are on board until it becomes obvious. Then word get around and you become less of a target. I did.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:16   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

So far for me, it hasn't been a problem.
My car in the parking lot seems to be way more likely to be broken into, I don't know why?
Maybe sailboat guys are know to be cheap, the "good" stuff is on the big motor yachts?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:22   #6

Boat: J/42

Local wisdom has it that you can leave your gear on-deck or in the back of your pick-up all summer without much worry. But keep an eye on things just after Labor Day when all the endless-summer kids are packing up to head for Baja and sometimes get sticky fingers. Yeah, the marina gate is locked (if someone hasn't propped it open) but there's free access to all the boats by small craft or SUP.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Security

I just use the standard boards and hatch cover set up with a padlock when I go ashore..
Night times bottom board and hatch.. never felt unsafe.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:53   #8

Boat: J/42

Various people have recommended having arrangements of steel bars made up to replace one or more drop-boards and the deck hatches, for security and ventilation. Also if the drop-board track is formed by a piece of teak trim, replace it with steel U-channel. Seems easy and a reasonable idea, but it's kind of far down on my to-do list.

toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
So far for me, it hasn't been a problem.
My car in the parking lot seems to be way more likely to be broken into, I don't know why?
Maybe sailboat guys are know to be cheap, the "good" stuff is on the big motor yachts?
Opportunity. It's a lot easier to walk into a parking lot or even a driveway to break into your car. Likewise, there tend to be more cars/trucks/suvs/etc. than boats in the marina. Lastly, it's a lot faster going rifling through a car/truck/etc than a boat.

But both make me
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:13   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
For liveaboards, what do you do for security? Dog, guns, samurai sword, nothing? How rampant is crime in marinas, and is it petty theft in general or violent crime?
I have an ogre. If someone doesn't try to steal something off the boat soon so he can catch and eat them he is going to starve.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 13:17   #11

Boat: Boatless

Depends entirely on where you are...

Safest marinas we have been in: one was in Mexico, the second was in New Zealand and the third was in Panama.

Cartagena was unsafe both in the marina and at anchor as are many Caribbean Islands.

We have locks and bars on all hatches and use depending on location. However, in 10 years full time we have never personally felt threatened but in the marina in Cartagena someone attempted to cut the outboard lock while we were asleep.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 14:01   #12

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

We haven't had any trouble, we saw a couple acting suspiciously on SUPs in the marina, I let them see me take their picture and they left, not sure if they left because they were dodgy or because I made it clear I was suspicious of them.
Old 16-05-2017, 14:10   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok View Post
Hatch and companionway security is very poor in most yachts, especially if ventilation is required. This would be relatively easy for yacht builders to address, but they seem reluctant to do so.

However, in most parts of the world crimes involving cruising yacht are rare, so we should not become unduly paranoid.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 14:12   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

During our 45 years of liveaboard cruising, remaining in marina slips and anchored out in both crowded and isolated locations, we never locked or secured our boat in any way, whether we were aboard or ashore, except when we were leaving the boat for more than a couple days. Our only exception to this was to often cable or chain lock our dinghy and outboard at dinghy docks or to our davits. Over these 45 years we only experienced two thefts,- a surfboard taken from our deck and our Son's bicycle stolen from a place ashore.

'just our anecdotal story and only disclosed now as we have moved ashore and now leave our boat locked. Most of our theft free time was spent in Florida, but we were often cruising from Maine south and throughout the Bahamas.

We lock our home ashore regularly,- this is new behavior for us, but it seems typical.
Old 16-05-2017, 14:14   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dave, at MBTBC, someone came aboard our first Insatiable, and tried to steal our outboard motor, one time. He was chased away, and arrived back at his vehicle soaking wet. He can't have been very bright, because it was clear that people were aboard.

Ragnar, we've cruised a little over 30 yrs. Have had a pair of flip flops stolen from the dinghy, one time. No other problem, except the above. We can lock the companionway, but it's sorta like zee said, locking a boat is like locking a tissue box. Some people make or have made, screens that admit air but not people. It hasn't seemed necessary where we've been, but I suspect high population areas or known high theft areas are a different story. Once you leave the US, there are places where deadly force is not legal to protect property.

Ann

Tags
security