Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2016, 09:10   #1

Saving for retirement, advice for first boat!

Hello!

1st post and hopefully in the right place.

So I'm 36 and decided to go the route of buying a boat to live on and eventually sail around a few places. It will be a few years until I can afford to buy one outright or earlier if I finance it. I currently have quite a bit spare a month I'm putting by for it. Not much but a start! When I was younger I looked at doing it but relationships and jobs got in the way, now I'm free I'm going for it again. I scuba dive a lot and have been on quite a few boats but have not sailed myself.

I would like people to give any relevant advice or tips etc on my plan !

I shall be looking to do some RYA courses to obviously make sure I get on ok with sailing and can handle it etc !
During this educational time I shall be saving and lookin into various catamarans. I have taken a liking for the Lagoon series due to the space and layout so any advice on these would be great. Also I like the idea of stability of a catamaran.
Depending on financial timescale I shall purchase a boat and refurbish or upgrade etc to make good for living aboard. I'm not sure pros and cons of buying something to do up or somethin in perfect condition.

I am at square one on this so any advice would be great! I'm based in Kent England so plenty of marinas too!

Thanks
Alastair
AliArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, retirement