Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 12:31   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Pros & cons of buying a multihull over a mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
A catamaran is all about space and light. But many catamarans get their bridgedecks extremely hot in the tropics - big sun angled windows do not help. Vertical windows Lagoon style do much better.

b.
In that regard, yes the vertical windows with a roof overhang are much better but have to wonder how those windows would handle green water over the bow.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 13:35   #32

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

if you are a cruiser most of the work is DIY, so the cost in maintaining is not that great a difference, marinas are a different question, some will charge for two unless you are on a tee or outside berth and then there is the haul out; that can be a problem depending on the beam; some yards just can't handle it. Then there is the room and comfort, what is more important for you/
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 14:35   #33
Coastal Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar CC 40

We did a lot of research before going Mono. biggest thing was costs. We got so much boat for a fraction the cost of the big cats. Setting aside costs it is about what you want to do. if you want a house like sailing experience then go cat. we just came back from boat show">Annapolis boat show looking at all the best new cats and most had miserable piloting options. Many sat up on a pedestal to see or buried behind a wall peeking over. at the helm you were away from the party. Many had restricted views forward in the main salon (not all). I was expecting to come home drooling over very expensive condos cats. Instead we can home happy with our 40'mono because we like to go sailing. The feel of a boat healing is why we head out. So being in a open cockpit with friends around at the helm was a big deal for us. If we rarely went off shore then no doubt the 4 bedrooms three heads and living room accommodations would have been our pick. The biggest selling thing to me is the shallow draft of the cast as I miss my days sailing Hobie 16's and sailing up on a beach. but I doubt these million dollar condo's are getting that close so they dink in just like the rest of us. cats are great for the charters. lots of people for short times. for the initial investment can beat a cherished mono.
Chris Whitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 17:55   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
In that regard, yes the vertical windows with a roof overhang are much better but have to wonder how those windows would handle green water over the bow.
The Dashews have vertical windows in their Iron Horse boats. I think they handle green water pretty well. Does Lagoon match the Dashews engineering and manufacturing I can't say.

Lagoons get delivered on their own keels so I think the strength of those vertical windows is not a problem.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 18:14   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Pros & cons of buying a multihull over a mono hull

The cost thing is just mistaken. I have brought this point up here many times over several years. One needs to precisely parse definitions and tightly box in parameters to say that catamarans are more expensive than monohulls.

Sailing World or some similar magazine recently published an article about the popularity of catamarans. In it, they compared prices to monohulls - in a negative way, unless one actually thinks about the comparison. For example, a Lagoon 450 costs the same as a Jenneau 53. A Discovery 50 costs the same as a Halberg-Rassey 55.

Is there anyone here who wants to argue that these comparisons are not equivalent in size and equality and function? I mean, anyone who thinks that the mono is functionally less expensive than the multi, that is - I bet that there are many who could present a rational argument in the other direction.

Where people go wrong in this, is in comparing what they can buy for $40,000. Or even $100,000.

But this does not universally make monos less expensive than cats. It just means that there are older, smaller monos, or monos that do not hold their value as well, or people who just don't understand what they are comparing.

But if one is buying new, there is just not the equivalent price differential that people believe there is. Unless one is willing to jump and twist through cognitive dissonance hoops to believe so.

If one has a limited budget, then cats may be priced out of it. But this does not make cats more expensive than monos in general.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 02:23   #36

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
What monohulls below 35' have more room than a similar length cat below 35'? I know we have a ton more space than any similar length mono we've been on.
I did say "internal room." I agree that catamarans appear to be roomier due to the greater plate area, but many older designs under 35' don't have any sort of cabin between the hulls. At 30' and under almost none do, they're intended as fine weather day sailers only.

Quote:
Most 35' bilge keel boats are 5-6' draft. Our cats of similar length are 1.5' and 3'.
The Hartley Tahitian 33 / Queenslander is 3'9" in bilge keel version, standard keel is 4'6". Even the Tahitian 50 has a mere 4'9" draft in bilge keel version, standard keel is 5'9". I haven't done a complete survey but those are the ones I know about. I'm currently sitting in a Tasman 27'er with a draft of 3'0"

Quote:
Cost and beam are the biggest downsides but that's getting better as the used market gets bigger. A lot of the mono cost advantage is because there are 40-50yrs worth of old monos to choose from.
Although I intend to live forever (so far, so good) waiting another 20 years isn't really a practical option for those of us who have to buy used.

Here's the thing: In the Australian / NZ market, the minimum you'll pay for ANY cruising catamaran or trimaran - even home-made and 30 years old - is $20,000 and for that money I can easily buy five good keelers.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 02:42   #37

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Sailing World or some similar magazine recently published an article about the popularity of catamarans. In it, they compared prices to monohulls - in a negative way, unless one actually thinks about the comparison. For example, a Lagoon 450 costs the same as a Jenneau 53.
If you can afford either of those yachts cost isn't an issue. But I checked anyhow:

Lagoon 450 2011 $670,000
Jeanneau 53 2011 $415,000

Big difference there. And when you consider the cost of owning and maintaining a catamaran, they're worlds apart.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:07   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
If you can afford either of those yachts cost isn't an issue. But I checked anyhow:

Lagoon 450 2011 $670,000

Big difference there. And when you consider the cost of owning and maintaining a catamaran, they're worlds apart.
I would think a 42 ft lagoon would have even more room than a 53 mono. Heck I bet a 39 lagoon does. So is a cat really that much More then a comparable mono??

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:08   #39

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

The original post talked about living and working aboard, with out much discussion of sailing. I don't want to get into a big discussion on the the sailing side but if their intention is to park up then the Cat. is a no brainer. You can't expect to live for nothing so consider the fees rent and enjoy your self. I just met a couple from Grenada who lived for 10 years on a PDQ 36 including raising a child. A bit small for me but it worked for them. They kept it on a dock.
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 04:27   #40

Small point...

"green water" doesn't happen as much on lighter catamarans.

As a little illustration, picture a beer bottle capped and floating in some choppy conditions. When the wave action is right, it goes under and pops back up.

Now picture a rectangular chunk of Styrofoam in the same conditions right next to the beer bottle.

What happens to the Styrofoam? It never goes under.

The behavior of a lighter catamaran in rough conditions is similar.

I've been soaked half my life on monohulls because the bow crashes through waves.

Since switching to catamarans, I have never been so much as hit with spray. Green water over the bows really doesn't happen unless your catamaran is more of the Lagoon (heavy) type.

Disclaimer: a glale in the North Atlantic is the roughest weather I've been dumb enough to go out into. Ymmv in named storms or other situations one should never go in.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 05:42   #41

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post

Lagoon 450 2011 $670,000

I'm just going by the article: http://www.yachtingworld.com/feature...uising-68341/3

I think your cost on the L450 is high.

Having owned both mono and multi, the difference in upkeep is very close. To the point of being insignificant. I doubt you will find anyone with actual experience saying otherwise. Unless, again, one insists on comparing apples and oranges.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 06:55   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Unless, again, one insists on comparing apples and oranges.

Mark
Hey, Mark, I sort of thought they were apples and oranges! Ah, but I need to steer clear of the debate as I like them both.
Old 27-10-2015, 07:01   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I love multis.
I have a mono.

I love monos, the ones I like anyway.

I prefer a multi for coastal cruising and the Med. BUt I have no objection to using the mono either. I prefer the space of a mono and the stability at anchor.

Given a straight choice Id go multi. Life is not like that though and neither is sailing. Costs versus upkeep versus dock fees vs other peoples feelings--

So Im firmly in the camp of personal choice and being Bi in my choices.

No either or. Its Boats and sailing.

Pays yer money and take yer choice!.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 08:11   #44
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I would think a 42 ft lagoon would have even more room than a 53 mono. Heck I bet a 39 lagoon does. So is a cat really that much More then a comparable mono??

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

52 lod mono here. Had a Lagoon 410 on the dock nearby for awhile. Not even close to our boat in interior space. We have way more room. And it's much much nicer too.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 10:19   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The Dashews have vertical windows in their Iron Horse boats. I think they handle green water pretty well. Does Lagoon match the Dashews engineering and manufacturing I can't say.

Lagoons get delivered on their own keels so I think the strength of those vertical windows is not a problem.

b.
I would agree that if the Dashews built one it was built right but yes, can one say that about Lagoons or other boats? If this is the one I'm thinking about the boat not only has vertical windows but also an eave over the window that hangs out a good distance. Heavy water coming over the bow that overhang would funnel the full force of the wave into the window which would have to be pretty well built to resist that kind of hit.

Maybe the overhang is breakaway, maybe the window is built super strong, I can't say either. It is an area I would examine closely if I was in that market (which I'm not ).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, hull, multihull