Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2013, 08:58   #1

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck
Oriental NC

Primadonna Has Left The Harbor | TownDock.net, Oriental NC

Whatever your opinions, I found this news notable.
Sand Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:16   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Oriental NC

Notice that he had no trouble leaving town after he was served papers from the court. My guess is he'll have no trouble clearing the US before Pat has his day in court and will walk away with over $2400 of Pat's money. I was in Oriental last week and talked to Pat. It seems Ott managed to blow through $2400 in one day without managing to get a couple of hundred $ worth of repairs done to the boat. IMO this couple are thieves pure and simple.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Yes, the town basically hounded them out of town.

After a series of shoplifting, panhandling, immigration and check fraud incidents the town stopped supporting them with charity. A lawsuit that was filed on them yesterday for the check fraud may have pushed them over the edge and a good Samaritan from a Dutch boat that towed them away also helped.

Good riddance. But I wonder what they will do in Morehead City.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25   #4

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

As an advocate for anchoring rights, I find this really, really sad.

Who can blame anyone in Oriental, NC for being averse to any transient anchoring in their harbor, after being abused by these petty thieves?

Worse yet, this can lead to more laws restricting anchoring.

I don't really see any good solutions.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:31   #5

i feel sorry for that big dog
kim r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Earlier ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nc-111395.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

You mean that after all this fuss all it it took was someone to tow them to somewhere else, and no one in Oriental ever thought of that?

In the end this is an example of how bums with a boat ruins things for cruisers.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:34   #8

Here's the amusing part...
  1. Culturally Oriental is pretty sedate, mostly retirees and a passive (thus far, there's just been a changing of the guard) town council.
  2. Morehead City, by comparison has a good deal of sport fishermen, more established shop-owners and a more assertive business population. Hard core, large displacement commercial power-boaters coming and going daily with charter customers. Probably about five big-name restaurants overlooking the anchorage.
There's a whole different culture in Morehead. They won't put up with the crap from the Primadonna like Oriental did. Won't have the same sympathies. I wish I could just sit on the back deck from the Ruddy Duck with a beer and watch. Good luck to the crew of the Primadonna. They'll need it.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You mean that after all this fuss all it it took was someone to tow them to somewhere else, and no one in Oriental ever thought of that?
Well, that and possibly the civil lawsuit papers that were served yesterday.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:08   #10

Boat: Westerly Centaur

We had the pleasure of meeting Matijn at Great Bridge on the ICW. Great bloke. Helped me work on my engine there and sorted a couple of my leaky keel bolts. No surprise he was willing to drag these folk away. Hope to meet him again further south.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 13:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad View Post
We had the pleasure of meeting Matijn at Great Bridge on the ICW. Great bloke. Helped me work on my engine there and sorted a couple of my leaky keel bolts. No surprise he was willing to drag these folk away. Hope to meet him again further south.
He will definitely have free beer in my presence!
Old 12-11-2013, 15:27   #12

Boat: 2000 Navigator 4200 Classic-Skinny Dippin'
This day after Veteran's Day might be a great time to remind people that the owner of that pink boat that had agreed to move for snowbird season and has not done so. I assure you that the water has been low enough on several occasions to make the move. So let be the first person to say that any good will you may have won from me (and probably others) is gone and you word here is worth bunk. I gave you credit for agreeing to move even though I thought you were going about it in the wrong, and very selfish, way. Now, however, you are now no better than Primadonna.
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 15:35   #13
CLOD

Boat: none

????????????????????????????????????
Old 12-11-2013, 15:48   #14
Marine Service Provider

Well you're absolutely right about Moorhead City. I was just there a few weeks back on my way south. They just built this beautiful monument to the fishing contest they have there once a year. You look across the courtyard and all you see are the falling apart derelicts. Talked to some of the business owners and it won't be long before the derelicts are out and mooring balls are in. They know full well the situation in Oriental. I tried to anchor there and just didn't feel safe with the swing room I had. It's a busy channel and you wouldn't want to be hanging out in the middle of it in a shift. If I stop again, I'll take the dock at Sanitary Restaurant..My two cents...
Old 12-11-2013, 16:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
Well you're absolutely right about Moorhead City. I was just there a few weeks back on my way south. They just built this beautiful monument to the fishing contest they have there once a year. You look across the courtyard and all you see are the falling apart derelicts. Talked to some of the business owners and it won't be long before the derelicts are out and mooring balls are in. They know full well the situation in Oriental. I tried to anchor there and just didn't feel safe with the swing room I had. It's a busy channel and you wouldn't want to be hanging out in the middle of it in a shift. If I stop again, I'll take the dock at Sanitary Restaurant..My two cents...
Hi Sid,

A few months ago I moved my boat from Oriental to Carolina Beach. Anchored in the Morehead basin across from Ruddy Duck after a good meal. Those Sportfishers get going about 5am in force. I cranked up and pulled out, but not after a few sportfishers cruised by and gave me the gentle nudge with their wakes. Primadonna is in for a whole new American experience...